Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody own an (old) Viking Designer 1 Machine? >

Anybody own an (old) Viking Designer 1 Machine?

Anybody own an (old) Viking Designer 1 Machine?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:17 AM

Default Anybody own an (old) Viking Designer 1 Machine?

I was just gifted with this machine from a very dear friend who is downsizing. I was able to download a free manual online, but I can't find the other book that came with the machine which pictures all the embroidery designs included. (My friend only had one copy of the books and she has two of the same machine, the other one is going to her grand-daughter, so I couldn't take either the manual or the design book).

I'm researching now to figure out how I can get more of the 3.5" floppy embroidery discs. Looks like some places (like All Brands) still have some in stock, and I found an inexpensive external floppy drive on Amazon I might check out also. I don't know if there's an "Amazing Box" or some other device that will make these discs still? Looking into that, but would appreciate any advice.

Seems like a really nice machine so I'm looking forward to "playing"!!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:12 AM

Congratulations on your "new" machine. I think you'll really like it. Sounds just like mine (not up dated). Let me see if I can find any info to copy for you.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:26 AM

eBay currently has a Designer 1 User Manual for $18.00 (new cond) + s/h. This is what I go to whenever I have questions/problems and it's very helpful.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:41 AM

Ask your friend if you can copy the manual. That would be an easy solution.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

To download designs from the internet, you can purchase an external USB 3.5" floppy drive online. The problem is you cannot just copy or drag the designs to the disc. Viking has a proprietary directory format. If your friend gave you the CD with disc manager software on it, you are all set. If she didn't, then you will need a program that will format the disc with the correct folder structure & write the design to it. The least expensive option I know of is Embird.
You can also purchase design packages on ebay, just make sure they have the floppy.

I would also check ebay for the book of designs that came with the machine.
It's a wonderful machine. even if you never use the embroidery unit. it sews thru anything, even hem jeans without complaint.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 06-28-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Thanks PaperPrincess... what you said is exactly what I read online, about the disc being formatted properly.

Thanks to all other who replied too. I was able to download the user manual for free online from Viking, I'm still looking for the book with all the embroidery designs pictured in it. Can't seem to find that one on eBay but I will keep trying.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

If there is a Viking dealer near you (often within JoAnn stores) have them check to see if they can order the other book for you. If you can find an older dealership, they might have one hanging around.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:18 PM

You don't actually need a large supply of floppy discs. You can store all your designs on a USB stick, or on your computer if you don't have a ton. Back them up on an external drive, CD's, the cloud, etc. Then just transfer a few designs to a floppy that you want to stitch (you will have 4 menus and can put several designs, I think 20 or more, on each menu). Just reformat and save others when you are ready to do others. I would NOT store all the designs of floppies, just because they don't hold much, you have to have some sort of system to file and find them. I keep all designs on a 64g USB and transfer as needed. I have 4d so I can see them, sort, rename, copy, paste, delete and transfer to floppy disc from Organizer. Don't even need the dongle for those operations. Editing can be done with the dongle. It is a wonderful machine, I have that and a DIamond.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:58 PM

Can someone who owns this machine answer a quick question? I have a tiny, clear presser foot that's not pictured in the manual. Would that by chance be a free-motion foot? I can post a picture if that helps. It's a lot smaller than any other foot I have on other machines.

Okay, I Googled and found out what this foot is - it's the "R" clear embroidery foot. My bad. I'll have to figure out what kind of foot to use for free motion work.

Last edited by DonnaC; 06-28-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:07 AM

I had my machine upgraded to the USB stick. I threw out all my floppies years ago. USB makes things so much easier. I have now given the machine to my daughter she is just learning and is really enjoying it. Could you borrow the book and scan it to your computer? I am not sure which book you want to copy.
Have you joined the yahoo group.....lots of good stuff there.