Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone doing the 2010 Hoffman Challenge? >

Anyone doing the 2010 Hoffman Challenge?

Anyone doing the 2010 Hoffman Challenge?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 AM

The fabrics are so yummy this year! Best of luck to you pittsburgpam. You know we'll all be rooting for you!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 AM

Ghostrider, I received that book from Amazon today. The quilts in it are so absolutely beautiful and intricate. I don't think I'll ever be in that catagory.

There is some good information about preparing a quilt especially for show, things I never knew to do. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Pam, I don't think many of us will ever be in Karen McTavish's league :shock: , but I'm glad you think the book was worth the price. There is also a CD video put out by the Challenge folks (via Jukebox Quilts) that details several techniques to correct the most common problems made on Challenge entry quilts. It's a definite bargain. http://store.jukeboxquilts.com/servlet/Detail?no=152 Also, paying the extra fee ($10) for Judges Comments when you send your entry is worthwhile.

Kelly Gallagher-Abbott, the Challenge curator, is extremely helpful and very kind if you have any questions...to the point of telling me how to put sleeves on an odd-shaped quilt so it would hang properly. With less than a week to the deadline, she replied to my email in under 24 hours. I was truly amazed! :D

The whole thing was an incredible experience for me, start to finish, and I am so very glad I dared to give it a try! Don't let anything about it intimidate you!!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 PM

There is a DVD that came with the book that I will look at when I get home. The book says it has videos on binding, sleeves, blocking, machine quilting, etc.

I'm working on some design ideas but they all seem so plain compared to the pictures of past entries.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 PM

Good luck! I am new to this board and went back through all the Hoffman Challenges.
Wow!
I am positive all of us on this board will be routing for you.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 AM

Pam - we will all be behind you. Your designs are wonderful. How is that kitten of yours, I loved that kitten in the basket avatar? What have you been quilting lately?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 AM

Thank you. :-) I have gone over some designs but the one I liked most I see is VERY much like one of the winners last year. :cry: I just don't think I should do that. So, I'm trying to come up with something else which has me stymied right now.

My kittie is now a big cat! She is fine, follows me EVERYWHERE! She loves playing in water and if I even approach my bathroom sink she is there before me and laying in the sink in a flash. I have two sinks so I turn the water on a trickle for her.

I think she misses the grandkids. If I play a youtube video that has baby sounds or crying she comes running and meowing and squeaking.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM

Go for it, it was so fun entering and trying new methods. The judges comments mean a lot. I had never done anything like the Challenge before and I hope to do more in the future and my quilting should definately improve. Can't wait to see your end results. No one has time until they make time.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:12 PM

I entered the doll challenge once but became ill before I could complete the project.

Good luck. And, more importantly, enjoy the challenge. Definitely get the judges' criticisms. It's very educational. Love the fabrics.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM

I like the fabric this year. I have some from last year also. Haven't done anything with last year's fabric. Will have to see the new fabric in person.