Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone doing the 2010 Hoffman Challenge?

Is anyone going to do the Challenge? I've never done one before and I love the fabric this year. I ordered a 1/2 yd cut set of the 13 fabrics and an additional yard of the challenge fabric.

No idea what I'll do with it yet.

http://www.hoffmanchallenge.com/currentchallenge.html

Best of luck to you!! I entered last year's because I loved the fabric, but this year's just doesn't talk to me. Make sure you look at all the past year's winners to get a feel for what they like to see. Karen McTavish's book, Quilting for Show, helped me a lot because I had never entered any show before, let alone one of this size (800-1,000 entries every year!). Just remember, you have absolutely nothing to lose and a world of things to learn...even if you never send the quilt off to Colorado!! :D I wish you the very best!

Power Poster
    I'm glad you put this up.

Turns out I have a piece of the 1990 Challenge fabric - Jungle Madness.

Blog Entries
    This sounds like fun, but waaaay out of my league...I will happily sit back and watch the rest of you create :D:D:D

One thing I would advise, because this is a competition after all, is not to show your design or progress to anyone but a very few trusted friends until after they have confirmed receipt of your quilt in CO. Fellow quilters will understand, I guarantee it. A good support system is priceless, but keep the design itself close to the vest.

DA Mayer entered the 2008 Challenge, but that's the only other board member I'm aware of that has sent something in.

Blog Entries
    I hadn't thought of that...I will happily sit back and wait to see what you all create and have entered :D:D:D

I was thinking about it, since I got to play with a lot of the quilts and dolls that were sent to my house! They were shipped in big crates. Had them in my livingroom for a few weeks,until our guilds show. They came from all over the world.

Blog Entries
    I am certainly not design talented enough to enter that challenge, but the colors of the fabric certainly appeal to me!! Those are definately my colors!

Hope you decide to enter. Can't wait to see what you create.

Pretty fabrics. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

I want to but I don't know that I have left myself any time to do it. I have a few friends who have done it in the past and had their quilts travel for a year across the country. And we have a section in our quilt show for the Hoffman Challenge. It's amazing to see what everyone has done!

It's not due until what, July? Maybe...

It doesn't have to be your own design. You can do anything you want but give credit to the pattern designer if you use one. There is still a world of traditional designs to make or put your own spin on.

Sometimes I have wondered about posting my own designs as I work on them. I love to share what I'm doing and get feedback though. I guess I should keep this one under my hat if I'm going to enter it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3incollege
    I was thinking about it, since I got to play with a lot of the quilts and dolls that were sent to my house! They were shipped in big crates. Had them in my livingroom for a few weeks,until our guilds show. They came from all over the world.
    Donna, was that for Quilts of the Endless Mountains?

I would have to look again but it was either June or July 23rd (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Donna, was that for Quilts of the Endless Mountains?
    No it was for our guild show Quilt Explosion in Pa.
    They devide them all into groups for the quilt shows

Go pam go!!!! You win it Girl!!!!111

They devide them all into groups for the quilt shows
    Yeah, I know. I just wondered if my quilt got to visit with you. :oops:

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    I considered it, but just do not have the time. Have too many other things that need me (not to mention 2 daughters who will graduate - one from HS and 1 from college, plus SIL from college, too. Hubby also working on his college degree. Soo... too many parties to plan and prep for, and not enough time to devote to something so important.

But good luck to you! You don't have to post photos, but please come back and let us know how your process is going so we can cheer you on!

i'd love to have a go, and have loads of ideas but am note sure i am qualified enough technically to put them into practice, i do think the fabric is divine though.

I am sure there are all sorts of skill levels. You won't know if you don't try.

The fabrics are so yummy this year! Best of luck to you pittsburgpam. You know we'll all be rooting for you!

Ghostrider, I received that book from Amazon today. The quilts in it are so absolutely beautiful and intricate. I don't think I'll ever be in that catagory.

There is some good information about preparing a quilt especially for show, things I never knew to do. Thank you!

Pam, I don't think many of us will ever be in Karen McTavish's league :shock: , but I'm glad you think the book was worth the price. There is also a CD video put out by the Challenge folks (via Jukebox Quilts) that details several techniques to correct the most common problems made on Challenge entry quilts. It's a definite bargain. http://store.jukeboxquilts.com/servlet/Detail?no=152 Also, paying the extra fee ($10) for Judges Comments when you send your entry is worthwhile.

Kelly Gallagher-Abbott, the Challenge curator, is extremely helpful and very kind if you have any questions...to the point of telling me how to put sleeves on an odd-shaped quilt so it would hang properly. With less than a week to the deadline, she replied to my email in under 24 hours. I was truly amazed! :D

The whole thing was an incredible experience for me, start to finish, and I am so very glad I dared to give it a try! Don't let anything about it intimidate you!!

There is a DVD that came with the book that I will look at when I get home. The book says it has videos on binding, sleeves, blocking, machine quilting, etc.

I'm working on some design ideas but they all seem so plain compared to the pictures of past entries.

Good luck! I am new to this board and went back through all the Hoffman Challenges.
    Wow!
    I am positive all of us on this board will be routing for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast