Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else a "selfish" quilter? >

Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 AM

Everything I make for my family is loved and appreciated. I make all my Mom's T shirts and nightgowns. She is insulted if I give her a store bought gift. My DH thinks every quilt I make is for us and I do have quite a few I've made for us. I make wall hangings and table coverings for us too. I sew pretty fast so I can make new things fairly often. Now I've started sewing for Olivia. Thing about that is that she grows so fast she dosn't get much wear out of what I make. I guess that's why I'd rather make a quilt. I make them for all the new babies in our family. Mother has several quilts I've made for her. She likes to display her quilts, but does use some of the larger ones.
And we cook from scratch too. We/DH still plants a garden. When our kids come to visit they always take food or something home with them. Sometimes I kid and say "Welcome to Walmart".
Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM

I am trying to make quilts for all of my nieces and nephews and I make baby quilts for all the great nieces and nephews plus some for coworkers and some for kids @ church. (31 baby quilts for great nieces and nephews alone.) Needless to say I make many baby quilts each year. For the wedding quilts I wanted to make them as they married but am way behind as I was working fulltime. I am working on #8 and I haven't even made one for my son and his wife yet. However I have made three for my granddaughter who just turned 5. Now that I am retired I hope to finish two a year among all my other quilting and craft projects. Right now I am working on baby quilts for twins who just arrived two months early and niece due in Feb. and one in June.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 AM

unfortunately this is learned early on. My 7 yo granddaughter has already learned. Last year she was spending the weekend with us. I made homemade pancakes for her & her brother. She wasn't eating & when asked what was wrong, said, "I want the real ones like Mommy makes that come out of the freezer"
Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 AM

WOW, I am constantly amazed by remarks made on this board about their quilts....I guess I'm the oddball here. I would never dream of seeking out a quilt I'd given to see if it was taken care of nor would I worry about the time and money I spent on making a quilt. I make quilts simply for the joy/love out of the process. I have never had one dismissed or unappreciated at the time of giving. I think people are way to hung up on the process/price and can't imagine feeling like many do. If so I would probably give it up. It can't be a very satisfying experience for many of you so I question why you even bother. If I offend anyone I am sorry but the constant numerous threads on this subject really makes me question why you want to quilt except for yourself anyway. Why there are so many expections on a given quilt or homemade item really bothers me. I realize this thread didn't start off this way but as all others it ends up with these types of comments....it just goes on and on about how the giver feels so unappreciated. I am just amazed and normally try not to read the comments because they are so self absorbed and not the types of comments I would expect. I guess to each their own but for the life of me I will never understand!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I only give to those who I know appreciate what I do. Much of what I do is for me or for charities. Some go to family members who say to me "I love that!".

Ditto.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 PM

[quote=quiltmaker]WOW, I am constantly amazed by remarks made on this board about their quilts.... [quote]

We are justs telling our stories as to what happens to our quilts.
I for one wouldn't give a quilt to someone who would use it for a mop rag/etc. I think that would be an insult to the giver.
For the most part I don't know who gets the ones I make, but in my mind they are useful, or I wouldn't give them at all.

:thumbup:
Old 12-27-2010, 01:06 PM

I kept the first quilt I ever made, the rest have either been gifts or sold or given to charity. I sell a lot of my stuff but when I find I have items that have sat for a long time, I usually mail them to my DH's nephew's wife and she let's family members take what they want, except my DH's sister and her daughter are tactfully not included because they are both hoarders and we want the items to be used, not stacked somewhere or hidden away.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:16 PM

You are not alone. I would not call myself a selfish quilter, any more than someone who sews her own clothes is selfish. I make what I like. My friends all quilt and make what they like. I have offered to make quilts for family members and have been met with lukewarm results. So, I make what I make for me. I do make some quilts for charity and will continue to do so. I know they are appreciated. It's beyond my comprehension that someone would not like a quilt made by someone they know. But, that's life, and I keep my quilts so I can enjoy them.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM

I make mainly babies quilts to give away and only for those who I think will love them. I made one for someone once who asked me to for her first grandchild. She did not like it maybe? and threw it back at me in my face! She then spread the news!

I do agree that once given it is theirs to do what they wish but I would like my hard work to be put to use as intended and not used as a rag. It is not so much harping on about it but more about hard work being taken for granted because you and I would not do anything like that.

My family love my quilts and will cherish my quilts. I try not to make them for people who I feel are not sincere and have no appreciation for the time and effort that goes into anything that is hand made.

I do keep most of my special projects for me! Yes, I think I am a little selfish!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Our small town ladies home bureau makes blankets for the cancer center , they are so appreciated.I make blankets for dialysis patients and believe me they appreciate it.Homemade Rocks.