Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else a "selfish" quilter? >

Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 AM

I give my quilts only where they will be loved. My boys would have dozens if they were given a choice as they always love every one that I make. But when I hear comments from someone about why would you put so much work into something like that I know they will never get one of my hand quilted creations. On the other hand a guy I work with just drools over homemade stuff, each of his daughters have one of my quilts.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 AM

Guess my family is different they all love and almost expect a homemade gift.With 4 kids, 11GC, 2stepGC. and 2 GGC I have to start right after Xmas to keep up.Right now I have given an IOU for a scrap quilt for birthday in Nov. All my nieces and nephews also love quilts so every new baby gets one! That is one of the reasons I quilt, knit, and sew as I know that all the family loves homemade!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 AM

Sunnycat, I completely relate to all you said. Btw, decorating your home with your love and effort and creativity is NOT selfish. Your family and guests benefit from the environment you create in your home. Nurturing your family before gift giving seems fine to me. For those who have the time and resources and appropriately grateful recepients, giving quilts is also lovely. Personally, I'm glad that I have 3 afgans and a baby blanket from my master-knitter Grandma who knit for the WW2 effort and the family, but not so much for others. No guilt, Sunnycat, create for yourself to your heart's content!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I have only a few quilts myself, and I need to do a few new ones just for me! Has been a while! I give mine to folks who will enjoy and appreciate them. No more giving just because their sibling got one! I really enjoy making things for others, and for charities, so I will keep on!! :)
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 AM

Sorry your family is such a disappointment to you, sunnycat...at least you have one to not make quilts for. :roll:
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 AM

My problem is my daughter wants every quilt I make I know she takes care of her quilts and uses them she still has a lot of the quilts my grandmother made this year she is getting a quilt and I am giving one to her brother and his wife . My Daughter says I should give it to her also because she will take care of it
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM

I keep as many as i give away. mine just take longer to do because they always get put on the backburner.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
Some of my family have expressed a "no quilt" attitude, but others really appreciate my work. Only give to those that have been proven quilt worthy.
I like this idea! I have resisted making one family any quilts because I don't think they "get it" or care. I feel guilty though.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 AM

WOW! Maybe if you made something for one of them for like a birthday or anni they would see how cool it is and it would catch on?? But I would start with something simple like potholders or a simple table runner. I don't blame you for keeping what you make if they don't appreciate it!!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:29 AM

Nope! in my family hand made ones are the most appreciated! I understand your feelings, though.