Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone else a "selfish" quilter? >
  • Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

• Anyone else a "selfish" quilter?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:20 AM

Keep them for yourself and admire and enjoy them. My family loves them and they have all received one! Some have received two. I am now concentrating on me!!! I love them, love the fabric and the different quilt patterns.
    Post some pictures and we will admire them also!!!!!
    Old 12-22-2010, 06:28 AM

In your case, I think that making and keeping the quilts for yourself makes sense. If you do feel like making some for people who would appreciate them, go to the hospital and donate some for patients who are going through dialysis or cancer patients. They will appreciate the "hug" your quilts will give them. If you attend church you might also ask for names and phone numbers for shut-ins. They need a hug too.
    Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 AM

Sunnycat, my daughter is a professional organizer who specializes in hoarders to the worst degree, so I completely understand why you wouldn't waste your time on something like that. It would never be appreciated and quilts are meant to be loved and handed down generation to generation.

I would say, however, that once you are content that your home is filled with beautiful things you have created, reach out at least once to someone else who would be greatly blessed by your talent. I give my quilts to Project Linus (they are all over the country so I'm sure you could find one locally by Googling it). They are given to hospitalized children and just knowing a child will hold my quilt is reward enough. I just wish I could see the look in the eye of the child when they get one. Quilts of Valor for the troops is yet another wonderful charity. Give it a try. You will see that the reward will really be yours and you may not be able to stop.
    :wink:
    Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 AM

I think you would love to share your art with family members or friends, but when they do not have a clue as to its worth (and the love that went into it) they can not appreciate the gift. My friend made a quilt for her granddaughter only to find it on the ground in the back yard being used as a blanket for the dogs. It broke her heart and now she will not make another quilt for anyone else. What a shame.

While your home will be beautiful with all the lovely handmade things you make, they will not have the pleasure of all your beautiful fabric art. They may not even see that they have an artist is the family.

MY SIL bought a quilt in Lancaster, PA. for $900. and it is in a plastic bag in the back of the closet because she doesn't want to get it dirty. My brother wants me to make her a quilt for their bed and I said no! The reason - if she puts my quilt on her bed, she is saying my quilt is not as good as her $900 quilt and she does not care if it gets dirty. I said it with humor, but it may be true. LOL.
    Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 AM

I make quilts for myself when I find a pattern I like a lot. I sew wall quilts etc to decorate my home and they are mine!
    Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by oma66
    I think you would love to share your art with family members or friends, but when they do not have a clue as to its worth (and the love that went into it) they can not appreciate the gift. My friend made a quilt for her granddaughter only to find it on the ground in the back yard being used as a blanket for the dogs. It broke her heart and now she will not make another quilt for anyone else. What a shame.

While your home will be beautiful with all the lovely handmade things you make, they will not have the pleasure of all your beautiful fabric art. They may not even see that they have an artist is the family.

MY SIL bought a quilt in Lancaster, PA. for $900. and it is in a plastic bag in the back of the closet because she doesn't want to get it dirty. My brother wants me to make her a quilt for their bed and I said no! The reason - if she puts my quilt on her bed, she is saying my quilt is not as good as her $900 quilt and she does not care if it gets dirty. I said it with humor, but it may be true. LOL.
    I'm with you ... I've had both good & bad experiences with quilt gifting. I'm more selective now. I make tops & quick quilts for our guild donations, where we KNOW the quilts will be used and well loved ...
    PS Your SIL should NOT have that $900 PA quilt strored in a plastic bag!! Is it antique or new? regardless, it needs to be stored in a COTTON pillowcase so it can breathe ... plastic is a big NO NO for quilt storage. :-(
    Old 12-22-2010, 07:34 AM

Honestly, I quilt because I enjoy it. I don't feel like I have to give it away, sell it or please anyone else. That's not selfish, it's a hobby.
    Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 AM
    Lyn

I don't have a single quilt for me but that will change this year. I have 3 I am excited about but if my son or daughter asks for it I'm left without a quilt again.
    Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM

I don't think "selfish" comes into it; you basically have the right to use your skills and talents as you wish, which includes deciding who gets/keeps the finished products. It would be a shame if you are uncomfortable with that or feeling any guilt.

I'm law-abiding; beyond that, I don't live my life according to anyone else's criteria, nor should you. Enjoy your home, your quilts, etc. and your abilities.
    Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM

I would love to make quilts for any of my 4 children, but they show no interest in it. Otherwise they are great kids, and they like other things I make for them, but somehow I think they feel quilts are old-fashioned, or they're worried they won't like it when it's finished, and they're very particular about how they decorate their homes. I try not to feel bad about it. So I have started hinting to the grandkids that I would make them quilts if they would like--one of them took me up on it, so we're having fun planning her quilt. Maybe when some of the others see hers, they'll want one too. I can hope. Meanwhile, I will just make what I like and then worry about what to do with it.