Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else "sign" their quilts?

I always put my name on a quilt, on a quilt label and allso the date I made it.at the back on the left hand corner.

I sign, I can't deal with a label too, after all that sewing. I did do labels for some but I sign my artwork so I got the idea of why not?

I use a very small gold heart also I make cute labels for my quilts.

i try to sign all of mine.i take pictures this last 15 yrs or so.and keep a journal of sorts.'i also put a mistake in each one.sometimes a block inside out-it's never noticable.sometimes a block out of place.when i tell people-and i dont tell everyone-that there's a mistake in their quilt-they spend hours searching for it!!:)
    the idea came to me because the quilt is handmade and nothing should be perfect-that's god's job!:)

I wish some of these responses would have posted photos of how they sign or the labels they make. I need visual ideas.

Artists always sign their work. We should too.

On my quilts, there is always something out of the norm. Like a star, one arm facing the wrong way; a small piece of fabric that totall does not belong - things like that. I also put a label on them.

Blog Entries
    I have started to put the labels on the hanging sleeve by machine before stitching the sleeve into the binding. Faster and less handwork. Probably should sign the front......

I always hand stitch a small red heart shaped yo-yo with a heart shaped button on one corner of my quilts (except baby quilts no buttons there). I hope that this tells the receiver of the quilt that it is made with love.

I like to embroidery a label with my name, the date, city and state, and the name for whom it was made directly on the backing fabric before the quilt is quilted. Then I put the sandwich together and quilt right over the label. I figure that way the label can't be removed and it should last as long as the quilt is around.

What a great idea!

I sew a tiny heart on all my quilts, hangings, etc...

Mine started when a machine quilter happened to take a snipe out of the edge of one of my quilts when quilting it for me.I never mentioned it to her but was heart sick.

It was a 50th anniversary gift so I found a little heart button and just sewed in over the snipe and on one was wiser. I thought it quite appropriate for that occasion and since my B-day in 2/14, the heart button has become my logo.

And lately, it is not so easy finding tiny heart buttons without the shaft on them.....I use the flat ones with the two holes......
    and that's how my logo came to be.

Blog Entries
    In this day and age, provenance is very important. Not only do I have a label, but sometimes I will put on a signature square, which consists of who it goes to, who made it, date and city and state and most importantly the year.

I also write a book to go with each quilt that I give to someone. That is provenance proof-positive.

People like to know the history of things, why that block is there, why you used that particular design, why you used that particular fabric, what was going on that day, what the weather was like, what the headlines were, little unimportant things that may not be important to someone, but are important to you and you would like to pass that along.

My mother told me yesterday that my grandfather could play the doodlesack (accordian) only when he had a few under his belt. I would love to tell you the song that he sang, but Mom can remember only two lines, and it just isn't proper! Mom is 94 and I never knew that about Grandpa before.......not that he drank, because I knew he did (not to excess), but that he could play the doodlesack. It was funny because I borrowed a friend's accordian and her book and learned how to play it without any lessons. Either did my grandfather - only difference being he had to be snockered, which going on to another story was being 1/2 snockered on Christmas Eve one year and I played Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring on the organ for the Christmas service without a mistake - one and only time. I must have part of my grandfather in me and just found out. Those are the kind of stories I would put in the book that I write for the quilt if I am giving it to a member of the family - Sorry for the ramble! Edie

This is great. I used to embroider my name, date, etc. But I really love this idea. Now to come up with an idea for myself. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I did not used to but have recently started putting a small heart on the back of mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    This is great. I used to embroider my name, date, etc. But I really love this idea. Now to come up with an idea for myself. Thanks
    When I made my memory quilt I wrote every day I worked on it. I put in pictures (printed off the computer), poems, recipes, anything that would pertain to the whole quilt, including the names I gave each block, like Roger's Rainbow (when my husband had cancer and was going through chemo, September 11, 2001 - The Day America Changed, including pictures of the TWin Towers, flames, cell phones, My Minnesota, Our Birthdays, Dear Dad, etc., etc., so that my family could understand the quilt, and how important it was to me to make it and how important it is to pass on to our son as an heirloom-not to be used. I ended up with around 150 pages all printed into a looseleaf notebook. I certainly do not mean to sound maudlin, but I learned this from Quilting Board - when I die, in lieu of flowers, I want my Memory Quilt on my casket along with the book. Also, I want the quilt, an heirloom, from my mother, and the quilt, an heirloom, from my grandmother, flanking my casket. Edie That's my provenance.

I haven't done enough quilting yet to have worked up a signature. I recall that the author of one of my FMQ books signs hers with a hand. She made the point that if she was doing work for a customer, she didn't think she should put her name on it, but she still wanted to leave her "mark." She said she can imagine people 100 years from now looking at quilts she's done and wondering about the hand. It looks pretty cool.

With my next project, I'm going to sign it with a cat. It'll be like the one you draw on a steam-covered mirror. Another easy one would be like a baby's footprint. Can't decide which one I like better. Maybe I can combine both and do a paw print. Hmmmmmmmm.

I just make a label, but personalize the label for each quilt.

I haven't done it, but I think it's a great idea! Maybe I'll try it out on my next one! :)

I embroider my name and the date on the front lower right hand corner of the quilt, and also put a label on the back with the title of the quilt, who it was made for and when it was finished.

My signature is a heart. It can be cross stitch, embroidery, applique, etc. Once I used a gold heart charm & another time a button. I also like to incorporate at least one piece of red fabric in every quilt I make. I always do a permanent label by incorporating it in the backing. Never a sew on. The label identifies who it is for, when, why, date, & my name. After all, quilts are MADE WITH LOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by grammyv
    i try to sign all of mine.i take pictures this last 15 yrs or so.and keep a journal of sorts.'i also put a mistake in each one.sometimes a block inside out-it's never noticable.sometimes a block out of place.when i tell people-and i dont tell everyone-that there's a mistake in their quilt-they spend hours searching for it!!:)
    the idea came to me because the quilt is handmade and nothing should be perfect-that's god's job!:)
    I don't have to put a mistake in my quilts. It just shows up all by it self.
    I put labels on the back but I should start putting something special on them.

I always sign my quilts I think of it as a good ending.

Just me.
    ef

I always sign my quilts I think of it as a good ending.

Just me.
    ef

I always place a rose on a corner. When I made a replica of a quilt that my grandmother had made in 1957, I made a dedication to her in the quilting, explaining the reason for the quilt, with her name and mine and the current date, it would be hard to pick it out unless you knew it was there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast