Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else "sign" their quilts?

What an excellent idea! I think I'll do that from now on.
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna

This is a great idea and I'll do so when and if I ever finish my quilts in progress.

Blog Entries
    I make a label to sew onto the back. On it I put the name of the quilt, the date, who it is made for, my name, and in the case of my children and grandchildren, I embroidery a Bible verse. My thinking was that when they are going through a hard time, they will curl up in that quilt and see that verse and know they are loved.

I use a "heart" on the label or in the quilting of every quilt I make because they all come from my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
    I sew a tiny heart on all my quilts, hangings, etc...

Mine started when a machine quilter happened to take a snipe out of the edge of one of my quilts when quilting it for me.I never mentioned it to her but was heart sick.

It was a 50th anniversary gift so I found a little heart button and just sewed in over the snipe and on one was wiser. I thought it quite appropriate for that occasion and since my B-day in 2/14, the heart button has become my logo.

And lately, it is not so easy finding tiny heart buttons without the shaft on them.....I use the flat ones with the two holes......

i got a whole pkg of heart shaped buttons, different sizes but all under an inch a couple years ago frm newark dressmakers supply

they were all flat and none bigger than 1-1 1/4

that should hold you for a while!
    and that's how my logo came to be.

i always put at least 1 pc of purple in every quilt.. along with a label that way the kids remember when they got that one...

like my dgd "lianna's kindergarden nap quilt" with the date on it.

I always put a label on it, but never thought of it. I think it's a lovely idea and will start doing it. Have to think of something though. Great Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sash
    I always put a label on it, but never thought of it. I think it's a lovely idea and will start doing it. Have to think of something though. Great Idea.
    You can find lots of good info online by doing a search for "quilt label" or "quilt inscription." There's information about the medium you use for your label, and lots of contributed verses and sayings.

I love the spiral idea! That's great. I always put a label on with the date and write a message of love to the recipient, and, of course, if I have it professionally quilted I mention Roni, the professional who does the long-arm quilting. I also add a little woven labels I had made that says made with love for you by Mary Ellen Klugh

I always put my name, the person the quilt was made for, and the date on the back of the quilt in my handprint! I use a contrasting fabric and applique my handprint on the back.

I made a linocut of my initials and print that on one of the lighter pieces in the bottom right hand corner with fabric paint which is impossible to remove.

I sew a tiny angel charm on the label of every quilt I give to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by moonangel12
    The label post got me thinking, does anyone else sign their quilts? A lady at a quilt group I went to signed all hers with a clover (someone else she knew signed hers) and I thought it was a great idea. Each one I make has a small spiral quilted into the bottom right hand corner. DH came up with the symbol b/c he said that oftentimes when our lives are spiraling out of control, it's nice to just curl up under a quilt to pray/think/cry. I didn't know if it was a common thing to do or not.
    I have never thought about doing that but think it is a great idea. I especially like your husbands explanation of your symbol.It is so true.

Here's a pic of a spiral I did on DH's gma's quilt... Excuse the pitiful attempt at SITD - I had a horrible time trying to control that darn quilt for some reason!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    I recently completed my first machine embroidery/quilting wall hanging with the word, "Welcome" in individual large letters with embroidered flowers on the lettering. It is approx. 72" in length and 10" wide. I wanted to give our dear friends who live in another State a housewarming gift, so when they were here recently, I presented this to them as a gift from both myself and DH. On the back, I added a quilt label, and the husband of this dear couple said, "Oh, look at the back!", whereupon they both enjoyed the quilt label just as much as the front, I believe. It is a rectangle with flowers and vines as the border, and I embroidered "Made by (my name), the city and state, the date, "Presented to (name of recipients), and the message "Thanks for the memories!" because we have had and will have, in the future, many wonderful times together. I also gave them a "Memory Book" showing the stages of the construction of the wall hanging, pictures of us, etc. that they enjoyed very much. I think quilt labels are a wonderful idea, and although my future labels won't be quite so elaborate, it does preserve the history of your work.

Banned
    I put a ladybug on all my appliqued quilts.

I think a hidden 'sign' is a great idea. I've heard of many quilters who will place their 'signature' hidden somewhere on the front of the quilt, usually in art quilts but regular quilts also. BUT still make a label for the back of the quilt.

Now you got me thinking, hmmm maybe I should start to do that too, now what object should it be?

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

After reading some of the other replies I realized that I do put hearts on my label on the back, as in 'made with love', but I do not put a special mark on the front of each quilt I make.

I'm gonna think on this one, maybe starting to add a dragonfly or butterfly.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Blog Entries
    Rats!!! Now I want an embroidery machine to make a trademard for my quilts! Maybe I could hand embroider my initials or something cute. The machines are beginning to push me out of the sewing room!!

Randa, I don't have an embroidery machine. I use a Peace Sign as my signature. I sneak it in somewhere by hand stitching it or stamping it with ink or if it has to be tiny I draw it with a Pigma pen.

Blog Entries
    I usually put my name and year the quilt was finished. On two quilts made for the grand kids, I also embroidered a dove on the back because the quilts were for their new home on White Dove Lane.

I always hand embroidery my name and date in the bottom left corner, using nearly the same color thread to make it subtle.

The label post got me thinking, does anyone else sign their quilts? A lady at a quilt group I went to signed all hers with a clover (someone else she knew signed hers) and I thought it was a great idea. Each one I make has a small spiral quilted into the bottom right hand corner. DH came up with the symbol b/c he said that oftentimes when our lives are spiraling out of control, it's nice to just curl up under a quilt to pray/think/cry. I didn't know if it was a common thing to do or not.
    A friend once gave me 250 commercially embroidered labels with my name on them, for my birthday. Hence, every quilt has a label but I am running out...

Power Poster
    No I don't but it is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    A friend once gave me 250 commercially embroidered labels with my name on them, for my birthday. Hence, every quilt has a label but I am running out...
    I'm sure you have another birthday coming up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast