Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines >

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 AM

I have let most of my subscriptions lapse since I tend to look through them once and never again.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 AM

When I first started quilting a few years ago, I couldn't wait for each copy of the quilting magazines to come out, but, as so many of you have said, I now find most of them to be either boring or lacking in inspiration. Also a great deal of the magazines are taken up with advertisements, and they are usually the same ones each month. I'd much rather come on here for help and inspiration and save my money to buy fabric.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 AM

You are so right about this. I am a new quilter who has been falling in love with every pattern on earth and collected within a year hundreds if not thousands, but the magazines are really running out of ideas. I got two in the mail yesterday and didn't like any of the patterns. I was really disappointed ): since i wait for them to come eagerly.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buttons922
Yep. When renews have come due, I have not renewed. They need to make them available online. Add quilts that are not 100"s of dollars to make. Make them fun and simple. Quilters with experinece can add or take away steps to make them theirs.
I strongly disagree with one statement here..they do NOT need to put online...not everyone has Unlimited time on the computer, or even have a computer. Believe it or not many people prefer to take a magazine on a car trip, or to the dr office, or to the sewing room to SEE the directions... going online with everything is really hurting our economy. and leaving a lot of people out in the cold with things like "the rest of this story" on the news, the latest updates can be found at our website...crap like that...it is seriously driving a wedge in how this country communicates!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 AM

You should see the pile that's built up on my table and not even been looked at. I'm gradually letting all the subscriptions expire because of the high prices.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:14 AM

I agree completley , I discontinued my subsriptions because I would flip through them and just toss them aside... nothing that gave me inspiration ... so why bother.
Even the tips sections are ...lame !
Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned

have notice that the common thread here is that if you have been getting more than one magazine for more than 2 years, you are bored with them....

remember, these magazines are NOT published for the collector as in the past, but for the NEWest of the new in the sewing world!

If you have patterns, books, magazines and designing software, it only takes 1 year for you to realize the magazines are NOT for you!

It would be nice if just one magazine would go back to giving up information!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Agreed. I will only buy 1 online subscription and letting all the rest go away. I have saved more patterns then I will ever do in my lifetime. If I see a kit I just have to have, I'll get it. But I am on a kit diet of not buying anything for 1 year.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 AM

I have been quilting for just over a year. A friend gave me a ton of magazines and I went through only half of them. I do love to read, but they were quite boring. I only looked at the pictures after the first couple. Then, I quit looking at the pictures. It was all the same! The more recent ones are mostly art quilts. Not anything that interests me at all. Pretty to look at in a quilt show, but kind of boring in a magazine!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I would add that I love the Australian ones they are so different but way to expensive for my pocket.
I love the Australien ones too. They average about $12.00 a piece mailed. I usually buy at lqs for $9.95 plus 10% off so not so bad & I can pick & choose.