Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines >

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Like everything else they go in trends.
I look through the ones at the library, if something catches my eye I will go and buy the magazine. :D:D:D
You can go online to the magazine's website and print the quilt patterns off that you like. Most of them offer that service just to try to get you to suscribe.Kinda silly really,when the only reason I bought the magazines in the first place was the quilt patterns. A lot of the quilt catalogs offer free quilt patterns too. I really don't remember when I bought a quilt magazine. I get all of my patterns online and from the library and used quilt books I find at yard sales.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The magazines have changed greatly over the years. The old ones used to have a lot of detailed articles on techniques and always seemed to feature at least one stunningly original quilt. Now the emphasis seems to be on pushing specific product lines of fabric. Fabric is featured in relatively simple quilt patterns.

I used to love Quilter's Newsletter Magazine and envied those who had every issue. When Bonnie Lehman was the editor, it was a great magazine. Nowadays it is still on glossy paper and colorful, but the content is just not worth the money to me.

I have let all of my quilting subscriptions lapse and will buy an issue on the newstand only if it contains a quilt I really like and might want to make some day -- maybe half a dozen per year.
The older ones did have a lot of helpful tips and advice on quilting.I learned a lot from those magazines.The ones I pick up now to look at only have 85% product advertising and 15% quilt patterns. I know that advertising is a neccessery part that every magazine has to have to stay in business.but all they seem to do now is push the products, not have a great magazine about quilts and the quilting techniques.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM

As I said earlier in this interresting thread, I've let all my subscriptions lapse. Have been revisiting my stash of 20years worth of mags, due to the hot weather and realised, that A I really don't need anymore and B I found so many patterns I wasn't interrested in, but my taste seems to have changed and I do like a lot of them now. At least 10 years worth of patterns to choose from. If not more. started 2 today
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 AM

I agree. I used to spend a lot of time browsing my quilt magazines, new and old issues. I don't know if it is me, but I am getting bored with it too. But my problem is that there is project possibility overload. I want to do all of them and don't seem to get started on any...
Old 02-02-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
As I said earlier in this interresting thread, I've let all my subscriptions lapse. Have been revisiting my stash of 20years worth of mags, due to the hot weather and realised, that A I really don't need anymore and B I found so many patterns I wasn't interrested in, but my taste seems to have changed and I do like a lot of them now. At least 10 years worth of patterns to choose from. If not more. started 2 today
So true! Whenever I need inspiration - or a jump start to get busy (!) I browse the old mags, or the patterns I've cut out & stored in binders. Seeing all the patterns gets me going again. And you're also right about tastes changing. Many patterns I did not like at the time, I do now. Guess there's always hope for growth & stretching one's interests. :thumbup:
Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 AM

[quote=rob529]
Originally Posted by Kate01
I agree, today I recieved a renewal bill for almost $50.00 for 1 magazine for 1 year. I

They have lost their minds.
thats a scam...be careful...I get them on just about every magazine that is due to expire...two payments of $25.95..yeah sure :thumbdown:
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 AM

I stopped my subscriptions and when I am in BooksAMillion, Borders, Walmart, Krogers I flip through them. While flipping, if I dont see one thing that catches my eye, I put it back down. Just seems to be the bright/in your face colors now, and that doesnt appeal to my taste. Also, if you have been quilting for say 20-years or so, I believe you have just about seen the core of quilting patterns. I still enjoy my books though.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

I only subscribed to two quilt magazines, but have let both lapse. I still subscribe to two magazines, but they are online subscriptions now (Quilters World and F&P's Love of Quilting). I love these because they are a bit less expensive than getting hard copies, and with both mags I not only get the year I paid for, but two years of back issues as well, so that's really getting three years worth of magazines for the price of one. :-D
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM

it seams we are all in agrement. I only get one magazine and that is because it comes with the subscription to QCA
Another problem is sitting at the computer for hours. I love what it gives me but my eyes glaze over.

patchpoket
Old 02-02-2011, 11:00 AM

I prefer reading quilting blog websites or this quilting forum. I have learned so much right here.