Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines >

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Old 01-29-2011, 10:16 AM

I have been bored with quilt magazines for along time. I let my subscriptions run out several years ago and still have many magazines I can look through for inspiration. I will buy an Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine every now and then. Love those!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Wow, I just read every post that is here and NOT ONE indicated an interest to continue their quilt magazine subscription. Hope that someone from the magazine business sees this.

With that said, I am with everyone else. I have subscriptions to 8 or 9 magazines and am allowing all of them to expire with the possible exception of Quiltmaker. I am not even tempted when they make the great "come back to us" offers.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:53 PM

Thats why I will not buy new magazines. I always buy them after after people are bored with them. That way I get them cheap.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
Same old patterns and ideas with the latest "must have" fabric lines being featured. Are the magazines owned by fabric companies?
No but they are selling advertising to the fabric companies and in some cases the advertisers will also supply a project which the magazine will run (a) to get the advertising revenue and (b) so they don't have to pay someone to write those pages or take those photos.

You would be amazed how much of most magazines is just recycled press releases. This is not just in quilting magazines.

And yes I am bored with quilting magazines too, although I do browse the newsagents every so often to see if there is one worth getting. Even my favourite, Quilter's Companion, which gives a DVD every month, is not that different from what you can get for free on youtube.

I think that the publishers must be getting pretty worried.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:20 PM

Haven't subscribed in years. Most magazines I buy these days are used ones at the Friends of the Library shop. They're 10-50 cents, and I find them well worth having at that price. Some are nearly new, but it doesn't matter because the kinds of quilts I'm most interested in are timeless. I save a few pages and drop the rest in the recycle bin. It does seem to me that some magazines have gone downhill - not just the quilt ones, but others that used to feature lots of craft and home decorating ideas for a whole range of abilities and interests have in recent years changed their focus to only "easy and quick". I guess they have reason to believe that's what most of their readers want.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:20 PM

I haven't had a subscription in years. I stopped them for the same reasons people are stopping them now -- too many ads, price, traditional patterns re-worked in the latest fabric line in ad-nauseum, too many artsy things, etc.

But my pet peeve is the renaming of the traditional patterns. There have been several woman who spent a great deal of time cataloging quilt patterns & their names and they just get arbitrarily renamed. Each magazine will give the same block a completely different name. If the designer or magazine wants to name the quilt, fine, but somewhere in the article it should say something about 'this quilt uses such 'n' such pattern'. No wonder the newbies have no idea what a pattern is called!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Me too. No more mags. Seems the pic of quilts are just different color ways of mags I have at home.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I would add that I love the Australian ones they are so different but way to expensive for my pocket.
Some of the Australian ones are on the net - or maybe we could do a swap - I love Quiltmania, but it costs a bomb down here!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I would add that I love the Australian ones they are so different but way to expensive for my pocket.
Some of the Australian ones are on the net - or maybe we could do a swap - I love Quiltmania, but it costs a bomb down here!
I came across a copy of Australian Patchwork & Quilting last year and bought it. I liked every single pattern in it, which is unusual for me. I was going to look at subscribing to it somehow here from the states, but never got around to it.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Ive been going to the library and getting the books, the magazines just cost way too much anymore!