Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone Else Do This? >

Anyone Else Do This?

Anyone Else Do This?

Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
I TOTALLY GET IT! I've done this too! I tried taking swatches to the store with me, but that can get real unhandy. And I hate cutting into any fabric until I'm sure I want to use it. Now, I go to the paint store first. B4 I buy any fabric, I choose a bunch of their paint color cards that I like together. Then I take that to the LQS and stick to what's on the card (s) as close as I can. I don't get as many fabrics that way, but I also don't spend quite so much $ on gas instead of fabric. And I end up with colors that really look good together.
What a brilliant idea! I should pick up some color cards and see which ones go with the fabrics, I already have. Then I can use those for reference. Thanks!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM

I guess that's why they call it the blues! Sorry, Neesie - couldn't resist. And yes, that seems just like something I could have written while gathering fabrics for a quilt, especially the part about noticing the good finds for a different project.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM

Same problem. I finally got a small folding ott light at Joanne's to carry with me to check the hue, which looks different under the fluorescent lights. Why don't fabric stores have an ott light station set up to check colors?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
Same problem. I finally got a small folding ott light at Joanne's to carry with me to check the hue, which looks different under the fluorescent lights. Why don't fabric stores have an ott light station set up to check colors?
Because they know if you get the wrong color, you'll probably keep buying, until you get it right.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Just seeing how many trips you made back and forth made me exhausted. Called DH and reminded him it was chicken night. Too tired to cook after reading your post. Gonna have a conversation with "Bud" and wait on the chicken. All this for a casual quilt. Hope you find the purple you want. Take photos of the material you have that should help you choose the purple tones. I'm thirsty.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's having a conversation with "Bud" tonight. After having the grandkids for 5 weeks all day, me and "BUD" have been conversing quite frequently. Thank God school starts Monday. Oh to the question in hand. Yes I too buy hoping it will match only to see it doesn't, we're just perfectionist and the pic you have set a pic in your mind on how you want it and we don't stop till we get it perfect.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 PM

BTW, two of my "new" purples (for future purple paisley set) are identical to two already in that set. Have decided to take pictures of all the fabrics, with my phone. MAYBE I'll remember to look at them, before buying more.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:19 PM

Neesie must be young....full of energy. That is why I started purchasing kits.........someone else made the decisions . Calla
Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by calla View Post
Neesie must be young....full of energy. That is why I started purchasing kits.........someone else made the decisions . Calla
I've been called lots of things . . . but it's been a lonnnnng time, since anyone has called me "full of energy!" However, I am 60 years young!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM

What if...you threw in a print with blue & yellow or blue & khaki? or orange?
Old 09-07-2013, 01:50 AM

Is this called, KEEP. FIT. QUILTING". No need to go to the gym just start quilting?