Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Only God is perfect!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 AM

"Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder. Good Enough keeps folks coming back for my quilts.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 AM

The same thing happened to me. Perhaps it has been removed from that web site.
Originally Posted by okiepastor
The link given above said not available--was anyone else able to see it?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

i don't stress over a quilt, made over 300 close to 350 now, just got an order for a lamb baby quilt. NOTHINGS perfect, unless you caount my new kitty Zoey!
seriously, don't sweat the small stuff. no one will notice. I made a quilt design,that i made up, put it together wrong, so i called it "Crooked corners", my son love it, asked me to make him one, trying hard not to screw up again, i screwed that one too. name"Croosed Corners II:
A lesson in Creativity, learning from our Mistakes", Everyone thought what a creative idea, little did they know, I screwed up.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM

I'm with you. If I were a perfectionist, I'd never finish anything.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Mattee - We sooooo think alike. I'm happy this subject was brought up as I'm a new quilter and don't feel that I have to worry about every stitch and block in order to have a very usable and comforting quilt to snuggle in. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Alas, I have always been a perfectionist. I come by it honestly though I get it from my father. As kids we were made to do things over and over until they were perfect at home and in school. I wish I could just say it's good enough and go on but I seem to have that childhood tape playing in my head all the time,

You could be my sister.. My father was the same way
Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 AM

I will always consider myself a quilting student since I know I'll never know all there is to know about this craft. When I look at the love than still shows so beautifully in an antique quilt that has uneven seams, squares, triangles and yes imperfect hand stiching I'm in awh of how they accomplihed any of handiwork with the benfit of rules, squares, the right scisssors or even stitch patterns to trace onto fabric, I say it's close enough to perfect to me.If I'm not totally pleased with some minor thing I know whoever the recipient is won't ever look for imperfections they will only look with love and cherish my gift.

God doesn't make junk and he made me.
Andie :-o
Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 AM

I think the perfection just comes with experience after you've been doing it awhile. When I made my first quilt 8 years ago, I thought I did a great job, but I got it out recently and looked at it again and was horrified at the points that did not quite meet and the big quilting stitches. I know now better how to recognize what is really good and what is not. I am generally happy with what is good enough, but I did make a Tennessee Waltz quilt top over the summer that stresses me out every time I look at it. The pattern called for a special ruler to square up the little star point blocks, but I thought I could do it without the ruler. All was well and good until I put them all together and then I saw the need for the special tool. Some of the points were waaaay off. I was and still am so mad at myself, especially as I used a favorite discontinued piece of fabric for it. Can't decide whether to finish it, throw it away, or what.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:47 AM

I have never gotten to perfect, and if I ever do I will have to quit making quilts, cause I just want each one I make to be a little better than the last one, and you cant get better than perfect.