Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 AM

"Good enough" works for me.

I will redo something that is a glaring mistake like a misplaced block, etc. And I do make sure my blocks are squared up the correct size so the quilt will lay flat.

But as for my handquilting stitches...don't look to closely! LOL They are not the same size...but they hold the quilt together well! :)
Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks for this thread. I am a perfectionist-in other words, I have UFOs. I never feel my work is good enough. My sister is a professional artist and I always feel like I'm compared to her (believe me, there is NO comparison). I want to relax and enjoy the process but that's just not me right now. I do see improvement in each project I do and the recipients are always pleased and happy. I'm already over-whelmed with requests to sell table runners for Christmas so I guess others respect my work more than I do. I'll mark this thead and read it again in hopes I'll be able to relax and enjoy quilting a little more instead of it being another job.
As for FMQ-ain't gonna happen!! Can't do it--too too anal!!
Thanks everyone--you're the greatest.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

at our little sewing group one time we had a lady who was so hard on herself (and us) about any little mistake...she painstakingly took out every mis-stitch...(in our group she was the chief of quilt police) one day (i was pretty new at the time to quilting) i took in a quilt i had just made to show it to the group...one of my squares i had turned sideways...and had not noticed until it was quilted and was dismayed but also thought... oh well, can not do anything about it now...of course the chief zeroed right in on it immediately...her sister (who was 93 at the time) stood up and said..."GLADYS, IF YOU CAN NOT SEE IT HANGING FROM THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?!?" everyone busted out laughing, tension was broke and we all at that moment decided to not be so hard on ourselves or each other. if you put your love and time into it, it is loved and appreciated in spite of cut off points, corners that don't line up...most of the people i have given quilts to have no idea there are mistakes. they never seem to see them...they have no idea it is not exactly what i planned it to be...only i know that. :)
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I have yet to make the "perfect" quilt- but you know what that is ok with me :lol: I make them to be used and loved - and most people I know would put a "perfect" quilt up and be afraid to use them ... so YES--- most of mine are "ok" not perfect and that is OK with me :wink:

Just relax and enjoy :thumbup:
I so agree with you that perfect gets put up! I have such mixed feelings about my quilts because I really want to do a great job, but then I don't want them messed up by carelessness etc. So I have to work on the "it's ok, I made them to be used!" idea. I think I will start doing mini quilts which can be hung on the wall to satisfy my need for "perfection" not that my work is always perfect! And quit stressing about the quilts I make to be used!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
To quote my Mom:

"Perfection is impossible.
However, excellence is attainable."

If you are okay with what you are doing, why should anyone else care one way or another?

Yes, I will settle for "good enough" - it may or may not be someone else's "good enough."

A lot depends on one's skill level and experience. I look back at some of my first sewing projects - and I was so proud of them - and see areas where I could "do it better" now - and I'm going to leave them just as they are as a tribute to the "me, then" person.

What is "Good Enough" also depends on what one wants to do! and who it's for!

I like this, bear! I am happy if I know I've done the best I can. Of course, I like to challenge myself and hope to always improve, but don't want to "stress" over quilting!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Twenty years ago when I was in my 30s I learned to quilt and tried to be a perfectionist. I got frustrated with my less than perfect results and put quilting aside. There was no joy in it for me. Now I am 58, not a perfectionist, and once again quilting my less than perfect quilts and am blissfully happy. Age does have its compensations. What I see as a mistake, my family sees as a work of love.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:08 AM

I don't think that I'll ever make the "Perfect Quilt". However I can make the good enough ones that bring a lot of comfort and love to the receipiants. When I start fussing about a less than perfect seam or a little pucker on the back my daughter reminds me, "Mom, the baby won't care!" As quilters we see the errors but other people see the colour and the pattern and the love that was shown in the gift. Keep stitching those "good enough quilts" because it's what we quilters have to do and maybe someday you will make the perfect one.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM

I made a post on here not to long ago, "Am I being too hard on myself". I wanted my points to match and wanted it to be perfect.
I was told, no one is perfect except for our creator, and unless I am making it for a show (which of course I wasn't) that it is made with love, that is what counts, and to enjoy yourself.
With the help of this group, I found out, that I don't need to be hard on myself. I should enjoy what I am doing.
Everyone that I have so far given a quilt to has loved it. The encouragement, from the quilting folks here and my DH, have given me back that sparkle to go on, and don't fret as much over small stuff. So Good Enough describes me
Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seamstome
Better finished than perfect. If you can get perfect, wonderful but it isnt me usually.

I had a friend that did not finish something for fourteen years because it wasnt perfect. In the end, her problems with the quilt were really only visible to her and the quilt police.
Exactly! I always want perfect, but I accept whatever I get. My perfect quilt I made for my Mom, she won't use. The quilts I tell her are flawed, she uses constantly!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:41 AM

I'm learning to keep my expectations high but also learning that the end results will probably never be perfect. I'm doing a Dresden Plate baby quilt for my GD and have finished the top. I mixed cotton with rayon and had problems with the seams matching up. Took it and showed it to my sister and she said that she wouldn't change a thing, so I'm going to start my sandwich soon. I say in this case good enough is good enough.