Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I am trying because I have too many projects to make. I agree that for me also I want to quilt for the fun of it and not feel too burdened with perfectionism. Life is hard enough as it is and quilting is supposed to be my therapy. I am still strugling though to let go and enjoy the ride.

Also my family enjoys the quilts much more when they can use it then when it is stuck in my studio for yrs on end waiting to be perfect.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Well Mattee I'm with you this is something I do for me time. I'm not in it to enter into compitions or win awards. I enjoy doing crafty things, they are great stress reliefs. My DH tells me that the errors make them unique and personal. My family enjoys the items I give them and the Grandbaby's like all the warm, bright colored quilty things that grammy gives them.

In other words the smile on there faces is enough to say I did a great job no matter how many mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that it my have.

I do envey those that are that meticulous to have there work turn out just so and everything is perfect, but for me I don't need the stress it causes me to have on top of my already high stress level.

So to all of those here that can do there projects to that level my hat is off to you and a standing ovation coming your way. KUDOS to you all!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Better finished than perfect. If you can get perfect, wonderful but it isnt me usually.

I had a friend that did not finish something for fourteen years because it wasnt perfect. In the end, her problems with the quilt were really only visible to her and the quilt police.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

To quote my Mom:

"Perfection is impossible.
However, excellence is attainable."

If you are okay with what you are doing, why should anyone else care one way or another?

Yes, I will settle for "good enough" - it may or may not be someone else's "good enough."

A lot depends on one's skill level and experience. I look back at some of my first sewing projects - and I was so proud of them - and see areas where I could "do it better" now - and I'm going to leave them just as they are as a tribute to the "me, then" person.

What is "Good Enough" also depends on what one wants to do! and who it's for!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 AM

I made my eldest daughter a snuggle quilt when she was very poorly a short while ago, I am trying to learn as I am fairly new to quilting. I gave it to her in hospital and said" I am sorry it is not perfect" she said"It is perfect to me" I welled up at this as she isn't a demonstrative person but I think that answers the question. Other people know the love we have put in a quilt for them so they see it as perfect for that reason. of course if you make quilts professionally this cannot apply.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 AM

You are not alone. When it starts to be stressful it becomes a UFO and then that's stressful. One of my favorite quotes is "Finished is better than perfect". That's probably why I will never enter mine in a show, but the people who receive them are always appreciative. Happy quilting.
Originally Posted by Mattee
I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

So, what about it? Am I alone? Are there any others out there that notice errors and keep going anyway without ripping out seems? Do any of you make quilts that have quite a few obvious errors, and you chalk it up to "personalization" and "being unpredictable?"
Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 AM

I'm learning to "settle" for "good enough". I will work on something forever, or conversely, never pick it up if I want it to be "done right." It has left many a quilt unmade on my shelf.

Today I finished a 10 year old's birthday quilt with very crooked quilting and a few puckers on the front. I quilted it myself by machine and it was very difficult for me. The quilt won't pass "inspection" but I suspect will be used all the same.

I'm proud he gets his 10th birthday present on time.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 AM

We need to look at each quilt we make as part of the process of becoming a quilter. I learn something new with each quilt...a better method, quick trick, or perfecting a skill. I don't stress over a quilt as this is my hobby and should be fun. When it becomes no longer fun I will sell off my stash. :)
As for good enough....look at the Quilts of Gee's Bend...no matched points, not square would probably do lousy at a judged show, but they are beautiful because of the quilters. Let's not be so hard on ourselves and just enjoy the process.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:47 AM

I hate ripping. I do it but it has to be a pretty glaring error.

So yeah, "good enough" is good enough for me.

As my skills improve I find that I demand more of myself, but I am not a perfectionist by any means.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by quilterjody
We need to look at each quilt we make as part of the process of becoming a quilter. I learn something new with each quilt...a better method, quick trick, or perfecting a skill. I don't stress over a quilt as this is my hobby and should be fun. When it becomes no longer fun I will sell off my stash. :)
As for good enough....look at the Quilts of Gee's Bend...no matched points, not square would probably do lousy at a judged show, but they are beautiful because of the quilters. Let's not be so hard on ourselves and just enjoy the process.
I had never heard of Gees Bend.. I have just googled it.. what an amazing story and you are right the quilts are fabulous. thank you for mentioning it. I have learnt something new about your wonderful country