Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM

I have such a problem with a making a perfect 1/4" seam so sometimes my points aren't perfect, but actually I do tend to line up my seam lines pretty good. None of my blocks are ever uniform in their size.

I guess at this stage of my quilting experience, I am happy with it just being done. I work 2 jobs and don't have as much time as I'd like to quilt and I tend to do small stuff like table runners and bow tucks bags. I hate doing the backing for a quilt and I'm horrible at squaring everything up, just haven't got the knack of doing it properly.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I make them to the best of my ability, but, though I will redo a point or whatever that is below my 'standards' at the time, I won't fret if the odd thing is a tad off. But I am gradually improving, each quilt is a little better than the one before, so I content myself with still going in the right direction.

If I live long enough, I just might produce a perfect one! LOL.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM

For me I guess it depends on the reason I'm making a particular quilt and what I want to accomplish. Perfection isn't something that's humanly attainable. I certainly try to do the very best I can, and I will sometimes take things apart to achieve that "very best" level. Some might say it isn't perfect, but I know that it is my best -- at least at that time in my current level of experience. :wink:
Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 AM

It depends on what I'm making and who I'm making it for. If it's a commissioned piece then I try to make it as perfect as possible. Everything else - I have fun with and, yes, it's good enough.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Just think, if our quilts were all perfect there would no room for improvement. Therefore we couldn't chalenge ourselves to do better. My Mom and Dad always told me to do my very best I could with anything I decide to do and they would be ever so proud of me, I taught my children the same and I try to do the same with my quilts. I haven't been quilting long so theres a lot of room for improvement, but it is a learning process,and I don't think anyone sits down and makes a perfect quilt. Better to have it loved and drug around than to have it on a shelf in the closet. So far mine have been used and loved. Good enoug gets my vote.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 AM

Good enough suits me too! Am not interested in showing my quilts in the local county fair, so am not striving for perfection. With that said, want to do a really good job for the recipient. Am making a quilt for all 14 grandchildren. YIKES - what did I get myself into! :-)
Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 PM

I think you said it "I quilt to relax". As long as you enjoy what you are doing and are happy then that's all that matters. I don't do "good enough"...I do "it'll do"...same thing :D I try to do as best I can but I know there's always things wrong but..."it'll do". Besides...I bet your quilts are lovely :)
Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM

I use to worry about it until I went to a quilt shop and found errors in every quilt. Sure they werent as noticable as mine but they were still there. No one is perfect.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by GrammyX3
Well Mattee I'm with you this is something I do for me time. I'm not in it to enter into compitions or win awards. I enjoy doing crafty things, they are great stress reliefs. My DH tells me that the errors make them unique and personal. My family enjoys the items I give them and the Grandbaby's like all the warm, bright colored quilty things that grammy gives them.

In other words the smile on there faces is enough to say I did a great job no matter how many mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that it my have.

I do envey those that are that meticulous to have there work turn out just so and everything is perfect, but for me I don't need the stress it causes me to have on top of my already high stress level.

So to all of those here that can do there projects to that level my hat is off to you and a standing ovation coming your way. KUDOS to you all!

Well said Grammyx3, my thoughts exactly. I give most of my stuff away, and to non sewing people at that, and they cant see the mistakes. I beleive every quilt has to have a mistake, because then it makes it unique
Old 10-21-2010, 01:54 PM

I tell people I'm making a blanket, not a museum piece. I do the best I can and do it with love and prayers for the recipient. That's sufficient. And no one has ever said "No thanks, Judy. It's not perfect or good enough. You keep it."