Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
here's a picture of the Quilt as you go that I just finished, I got the information off a tute on the board, http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52698-1.htm
Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by Mattee
Thank you everyone, for your replies. I enjoyed them all - whether you're a perfectionist or not.

To respond to some of your questions, I have tried quilt-as-you-go, and it definately solves my space problem, but I prefer to quilt the traditional way. I dream of the day when we'll have enough space for a sewing studio, complete with a table or frame for basting, or at least some decent floor space.
I definitely want to review the process for quilt as you go so I can try it. This last quilt has really done a number on my back. I don't have the right space and heights for a big quilt. And this was only the size of the top of my queen size bed.
Thank you Neighbor. Very clear tute. I think I can do this.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
"only the mediocre are always at their best."

i use all my mad skilz at work, where perfection is required. i give anesthesia. no second best, no second guessing. no room for error.

so, when i get home, it is time to relax. my family won't remember if my house is perfect, but like my mom used to say, "even if you could eat off the floor--who'd want to?" my kids will remember the pets we had, the fun projects we did, the backyard carnivals, the cookies we made--and they still snuggle under less-than-perfect quilts i made for them 15 years ago. the kids have grown up, and the quilts have moved with them.

yes, perfection, where and when it is needed--but time to relax and be real when the situation is not life and death!
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Good enough does not have to imply that it is not ones' best. Only that we, for our own peace of mind, accept that our best is "good enough" for our friends and loved ones. If my best won't do, then what is the point of trying? Sure I hope to improve with every effort, and learn more every day. But that can only happen if I continue doing the projects that are good enough (my best)for now, until I develop the skills to do better. And if my best isn't good enough for someone now, I'm sorry, but it's all I've got to offer. And I may not be offering it later when my best is much better. LOL
Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 AM

You are so right about FMQ. I've tried and tried and can't not get it down. So my SID is gonna have to do for quilting my tops. My sisters don't quilt and appreciate every quilt I've given them and also rave about them . My quilts are nevr perfect but they love them because they love me. Blessings, quilters
Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 AM

I only learned and started quilting this year, and had a lot of angst over not having my seams and points match properly. But, when I shared my feelings about this to my other sewing buddy, she quoted to me what the Amish said about not sewing so perfect, it is because "only God is perfect." So, I just chug along, trying my best to just take my time.

The main thing about quilting is to have fun doing it--perfect or not. We are our own worse critics, so just "Sew Happy!"
Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM

I try my best at what I'm making. If it starts to drive me nuts, I look at it and say "good" because I have had "enough" trying to make it better. :thumbup:
Old 04-06-2011, 05:33 AM

Yes there are many quilts that we view here that are just perfect but I know I am not perfect but do like what I do and enjoy doing for others and if that is not good enough then, you will not get one of anything I make again. So, there is only one person that is perfect so why keep doing it again and again.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 AM

I like the quilt you are doing there. I do have a hint to give out. Instead of using pins for the binding try the hair clips. Then, no stabbing of fingers. Have a great day.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewhat540
I like the quilt you are doing there. I do have a hint to give out. Instead of using pins for the binding try the hair clips. Then, no stabbing of fingers. Have a great day.
funny you should say that, my sister sent me those the week after I finished it and I haven't used anything else since, they are great!!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Good enough works for me !! :-) ;-)