Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
I am not a "good enough" person. Everything I do in life, I do to the best of my ability. It is my only legacy. "Good enough" is why I have left a number of quilt block swaps, etc. I don't want to go to a doctor or dentist, or have someone work on my home, who subscribes to the "good enough" theory and I would always hope that my friends and family expect more out of me. There is a wonderful poem about "Good Enough." I will post it someday.

I know that reply sounds snotty, but I assume you wanted truthful answers! :)
I don't thnk you're snooty, but at what point do you stop and say this is good. I know about self- pressure and what it'll do to a person. How much pressure to you put on yourself to do your best? I've had to learn to accept that as long as I did my best that that is good enough. Do you get what I mean? I want things to look nice and I want to always do my best, but when it isn't perfect, I have learned to draw the line and say "that's my best for now."
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM

I agree , my best HAS to be "good enough" because I'm not perfect and my best is all I've got. I don't think you're snotty, but just remember to enjoy yourself.
Originally Posted by GailG
I am not a "good enough" person. Everything I do in life, I do to the best of my ability. It is my only legacy. "Good enough" is why I have left a number of quilt block swaps, etc. I don't want to go to a doctor or dentist, or have someone work on my home, who subscribes to the "good enough" theory and I would always hope that my friends and family expect more out of me. There is a wonderful poem about "Good Enough." I will post it someday.

I don't thnk you're snooty, but at what point do you stop and say this is good. I know about self- pressure and what it'll do to a person. How much pressure to you put on yourself to do your best? I've had to learn to accept that as long as I did my best that that is good enough. Do you get what I mean? I want things to look nice and I want to always do my best, but when it isn't perfect, I have learned to draw the line and say "that's my best for now."
Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
I agree , my best HAS to be "good enough" because I'm not perfect and my best is all I've got. and no Gail: I don't think you're snotty, but just remember to enjoy yourself.

I'm glad you agree, but it was Ragann who asked if we thought she is snotty.:o) I agree with her, but I do think there is a limit.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
I agree , my best HAS to be "good enough" because I'm not perfect and my best is all I've got. and no Gail: I don't think you're snotty, but just remember to enjoy yourself.

I don't think of myself as a "good enough" person in that I always try my very best to do a good job at whatever task I have. But to put pressure on myself to be a perfectionist caused me years of depression and it has taken a very long time for me to realize that there is no way I can be perfect at everything I try. So if a seam is a tad off or if a pucker creeps in I just can't beat myself up over it. Usually I'm the only one who knows where a mistake is anyway. Life is too short. I'll do my very best and that will have to do. Sorry I got way too preachy, just feel that we should be thankful for being able to express our love for others by making quilts or any other craft we pursue.

I'm glad you agree, but it was Ragann who asked if we thought she is snotty.:o) I agree with her, but I do think there is a limit.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:03 PM

Thank you everyone, for your replies. I enjoyed them all - whether you're a perfectionist or not.

To respond to some of your questions, I have tried quilt-as-you-go, and it definately solves my space problem, but I prefer to quilt the traditional way. I dream of the day when we'll have enough space for a sewing studio, complete with a table or frame for basting, or at least some decent floor space.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Thank you everyone, for your replies. I enjoyed them all - whether you're a perfectionist or not.

To respond to some of your questions, I have tried quilt-as-you-go, and it definately solves my space problem, but I prefer to quilt the traditional way. I dream of the day when we'll have enough space for a sewing studio, complete with a table or frame for basting, or at least some decent floor space.
I definitely want to review the process for quilt as you go so I can try it. This last quilt has really done a number on my back. I don't have the right space and heights for a big quilt. And this was only the size of the top of my queen size bed.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Once you learn the process, it's really easy. It just limits your design options some. I highly recommend it as a skill worth learning. I believe that there are several different methods.

I definitely want to review the process for quilt as you go so I can try it. This last quilt has really done a number on my back. I don't have the right space and heights for a big quilt. And this was only the size of the top of my queen size bed.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 AM

"only the mediocre are always at their best."

i use all my mad skilz at work, where perfection is required. i give anesthesia. no second best, no second guessing. no room for error.

so, when i get home, it is time to relax. my family won't remember if my house is perfect, but like my mom used to say, "even if you could eat off the floor--who'd want to?" my kids will remember the pets we had, the fun projects we did, the backyard carnivals, the cookies we made--and they still snuggle under less-than-perfect quilts i made for them 15 years ago. the kids have grown up, and the quilts have moved with them.

yes, perfection, where and when it is needed--but time to relax and be real when the situation is not life and death!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 AM

here's a picture of the Quilt as you go that I just finished, I got the information off a tute on the board, http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52698-1.htm

Attached Thumbnails attachment-106994.jpe  
Old 10-28-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
"only the mediocre are always at their best."

i use all my mad skilz at work, where perfection is required. i give anesthesia. no second best, no second guessing. no room for error.

so, when i get home, it is time to relax. my family won't remember if my house is perfect, but like my mom used to say, "even if you could eat off the floor--who'd want to?" my kids will remember the pets we had, the fun projects we did, the backyard carnivals, the cookies we made--and they still snuggle under less-than-perfect quilts i made for them 15 years ago. the kids have grown up, and the quilts have moved with them.

yes, perfection, where and when it is needed--but time to relax and be real when the situation is not life and death!
Oh, you have absolutely explained it perfectly and no pun is intended.