Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone Ever Stretch a Vintage Machine?

Anyone Ever Stretch a Vintage Machine?

I am working on getting my BIL, who is a fabricator, to stretch a 15-91 clone for me. I have spent much of today looking for info on doing this. So far, all I've found was WOW Quilts stretched machines for sale, a message board where guys were talking about how to do it, but hadn't done so yet, and a diagram of how vintage machines work. Does anyone know of anymore info on doing this? It sounds like a relatively easy project, so why haven't more people done it? I realize I can't put cruise control on it.

Power Poster
    Sounds like the beginning of a business opportunity to me. Go for it and if it works out, who knows where it will go. If they can stretch limo's, why not sewing machines.

Probably several reasons why others don't do it. The small bobbin size is a major issue and would be for me. Most commercial longarms have extra large bobbins for a reason. Next is the lack or the inability for computer control or stitch regulation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Probably several reasons why others don't do it. The small bobbin size is a major issue and would be for me. Most commercial longarms have extra large bobbins for a reason. Next is the lack or the inability for computer control or stitch regulation.
    I know that Bailey's is a stretched Janome. Mr.Bailey does have a stitch regulator on it. PC Quilter is a computer run robot and almost all small/midsize machines can fit on that for quilting. But, as you say, the bobbin size cannot be changed.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

The Voyage (nolting) is a streached machine also. I was thinking about a DIY project then I realized buying one would be simpler.
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    You might want to post your question on the Antique and Vintage Machine sewing machine shop thread. Billy hangs out there and a few other vintage machine knowledgable folks. There might be able to answer your question. Here's the link to the thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ll-t43881.html

Go and join the Yahoo group...Homequiltingsystems...they have instructions in their files on stretching a vintage machine. My hubby is thinking about doing one for me, at some stage...maybe...lol.
    Blessings from Janice

Somehow I got into a discussion with a lady whose husband did this and they sold a few, but quit selling them. I think she said there was a tension problem with them, but can't quite remember what all she said. Try Ebay and see if there are any on there, or google it. She may have even been on here at one time so check to see if there are any threads about it.

At one point there was a guy who lived in Florida who did them, but I can't remember his name or where he lived. Sorry!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Thank you for all the input. I just applied to join the Yahoo group.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    At one point there was a guy who lived in Florida who did them, but I can't remember his name or where he lived. Sorry!
    The guy in Florida is out of business. He kept $500 of mine and is in deep trouble with PayPal. He stiffed many other ladies as well.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I own a Singer 29-4 like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=sing...w=1333&bih=645

It would make an awesome long-arm except the bobbin only holds about 36" of thread.

The 29-4 is an interesting machine as it does not have lower feed dogs. The foot acts at the feed dog. Replace the foot with a hopping foot and I'd have an awesome long-arm - but - I'm still limited in the bobbin capacity.

Oh, forgot to say, my 29-4 can be either treadled or run with a motor.

Shari

I own a babylock quilters choice pro stretched 18" and it works wonderful. yes, WOW Quilts sells stretched machines and there is a long waiting list (18 months) to get one. i don't believe its well advertised and his business is mostly word of mouth as oppose to the long arm machines that you see at quilt shops/shows. if you like, PM your email address and i can send you pictures of my machine. happy quilting :-)
    "you can take out your opponent, however, if you do it unjustly, you become eligible for being wiped out yourself" E.H.

Stretched machine

I looked at this site and then I decided there are somethings you just have to pay for. Unfortunately I am not that talented but I do applaud the person who took the time to post complete instructions on how to stretch your own machine!

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kKPHT2t...%20Monster.pdf