Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone Ever Use Muslin or a Fabric for Paper Piecing??? >

Anyone Ever Use Muslin or a Fabric for Paper Piecing???

Anyone Ever Use Muslin or a Fabric for Paper Piecing???

Old 07-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Minda
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
You can use muslin and skip the batting.
wouldn't that be a very thin quilt and then when you quilt it you won't have the variations in depth from stitching since there isn't any batting.
It would be a very lightweight quilt. I've never done it that way, but some of the ladies in the quilt guild that I belong to make their summer quilts that way.
well there you go - in all my years of quilting i've only made 2 quilts that have been meant to be slept with.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM

wouldn't that be a very thin quilt and then when you quilt it you won't have the variations in depth from stitching since there isn't any batting.
It would be a very lightweight quilt. I've never done it that way, but some of the ladies in the quilt guild that I belong to make their summer quilts that way.
well there you go - in all my years of quilting i've only made 2 quilts that have been meant to be slept with.
and I've only made 3 wallhangings - it's great how much diversity there is in quilting. :D I'm more into traditional quilting ,and I'm thinking you are more into art quilts. What type of quilting do you do?

Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Banned

and I've only made 3 wallhangings - it's great how much diversity there is in quilting. :D I'm more into traditional quilting ,and I'm thinking you are more into art quilts. What type of quilting do you do?
yes i make art quilts. i just finished my 2nd "utility" quilt 2 days ago - its a gift for my SIL. my 1st utility quilt was for their baby 5 years ago.

so i guess we can say every 5 years i make a utility quilt.

i make about 30 art quilts a year.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:35 PM

I taught a class once where we used flannel for the foundation, flannel for the piecing on top, and flannel for backing. It was a very nice drapey quilt. Just piece on the flannel foundation, back, and quilt as desired. Since there was no real batting, it didn't require much quilting.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

I call sewing on a fabric base strip piecing or crazy piecing. You can buy a foundation backing that when wet turns into a soft, lightweight fabric. Ricky Timms sells it on his website.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:58 PM

How timely! I just got a box of vintage sheets today at an estate sale, and there were some that are too thin for me to use as fabric.

I was thinking of drawing on them with a sharpie and just trying to teach myself to paper piece or foundation piece. It would simply eliminate the paper part, right? And I like a heavier quilt since I live where it is COLD all the time! Since I have not learned to do it the right way yet, I might as well figure it out MY way. LOL!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Power Poster

Go for it! In quilting I am a believer that the end justify the means. :D
Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
I taught a class once where we used flannel for the foundation, flannel for the piecing on top, and flannel for backing. It was a very nice drapey quilt. Just piece on the flannel foundation, back, and quilt as desired. Since there was no real batting, it didn't require much quilting.
That sounds interesting for a sofa quilt.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:47 PM

The advantage of paper for foundation piecing is that you can run copies on your copier and not have to trace each block. This would be a consideration if you were making lots of blocks.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM

I think using interfacing is a brilliant idea, i have used it under small applique pieces, but of course it adds a bit of weight and thickness. I would use a flannel for the batting in a full quilt, especially if hand quilting.