Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have a 10' frame and uses a home machine to quilt? >

Anyone have a 10' frame and uses a home machine to quilt?

Anyone have a 10' frame and uses a home machine to quilt?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I have a New Joy frame that is 10', and I have a BabyLock Quilter's Pro on it. The quilting space is only 4"-5" (depending on how much quilt I have rolled on the back roller). I do meandering or I do pantographs, and sometimes I use Golden Threads paper to trace quilting motifs and pin them to the quilt and quilt over them. I just started using stencils to mark the designs on the quilt, and am experimenting with that. It is a little confining sometimes to have such a narrow quilting space, but I make it work. I also cannot afford to change my quilting setup at this time, so I make the best of what I have, and feel blessed to have it!! :-) :thumbup:
i also had the New Joy frame and like SadieMae originally had the Brother 1500. after the first quilt i realized how little space there was at the foot of the quilt. it was just too hard to keep moving around in 4" increments. i ended up taking the quilt off, reversing the direction so the top was at the bottom and vice-versa, putting it back on, and continuing from the center UP.
can you picture it? put the finished part on the bottom and the unfinished part on the top and worked upward. it was the only way to do anything bigger than a 3" block. after the second one that way i gave up and did quilts in two sections. the machine won. i just used a long leader and did two sections, sewed them together face to face and hand finished it on the back by hand. i did use it a long time though before i bumped up. look for a good used longarm or a midarm (16").

don't give up. just plan ahead.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I just got the Super Quilter frame (like the Handi-Quilter just a little sturdier) and I use my Husqvarna Sapphire 850 with a 10" throat. I can use any of my machines, just lucky to have one with a longer throat. I am just now getting to really play with it, so I don't have lots of experience, just about 5 years of freemotion the normal way, including all the aches and stiff necks ;) The longer the throat, the longer your workspace. I can do up to a king on mine, too, just am working with smaller stuffs first.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Butterfly and Whisperer... thank you for your posts. Each one of you help me so much. Planning ahead sounds great... I think that s l o w l y, I am beginning to get a picture of what is ahead of me. :-D

It is wonderful to meet those who have gone ahead of me in quilting. The deal on my Grace frame was just too good to pass up.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 PM

I have the little gracie II with the juki but you could put a domestic machine it will just take longer to quilt. I am going to put a Pfaff grandquilter on it on Wednesday.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
:shock: :shock: :shock:

A few days ago my DH and I bought a used Grace quilting frame at a very low price. It will quilt up to a king size quilt. At this point I only have home machines of varying ages and brands. The $$ just aren't there at this point to purchase a long arm machine or even a Juki with a 9" throat.

I would love to hear if others are out there in a similar situation and having a ball quilting on a full size frame.

Thank you for any and all of your input. :-D
Will watch this thread too. I was thinking about the same idea to use with my Janome MC6600. It's not a really fast machine but definately a workhorse. How much did you pay for your Gracie frame?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:10 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Butterfly and Whisperer... thank you for your posts. Each one of you help me so much. Planning ahead sounds great... I think that s l o w l y, I am beginning to get a picture of what is ahead of me. :-D

It is wonderful to meet those who have gone ahead of me in quilting. The deal on my Grace frame was just too good to pass up.
same here, it was on CL for a good price, and I feel I'm ready for framework ~ plus to be able to keep quilting, but outsmart my arthritis LOL
Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
:shock: :shock: :shock:

A few days ago my DH and I bought a used Grace quilting frame at a very low price. It will quilt up to a king size quilt. At this point I only have home machines of varying ages and brands. The $$ just aren't there at this point to purchase a long arm machine or even a Juki with a 9" throat.

I would love to hear if others are out there in a similar situation and having a ball quilting on a full size frame.

Thank you for any and all of your input. :-D
Will watch this thread too. I was thinking about the same idea to use with my Janome MC6600. It's not a really fast machine but definately a workhorse. How much did you pay for your Gracie frame?
We paid $400 and found it on craigslist. I had seen others previously listed for several hundred more.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-120311-1.htm#3165722
Old 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM

I have a HandiQuilter and love it! Unfortunately my townhome isn't that big so my frame is out to 8+ ft. There literally is no where in the house to have it out any bigger because it would block a doorway or the fireplace. It would fit in the living room but would look so awful I wouldn't enjoy using it.

So, to me 10 ft seem great!

ali
Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM

My sister and I bought a gracie frame and a Brother 1500 2 years ago and really like it for what we quilt. We have quilted some queen size just have to roll real tight. We use pantographs and it is sometimes hard to find the 31/2 to4 inch size, so if I find a wider one that I like I purchase it and them put it on my printer and reduce the size until I have the width I want, then make several copies and tape the together. This has worked real good for
us.

Bdor
Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Yep, been there done that, got so frustrated I finally bought my APQS Millenium and haven't looked back! You need the proper tools to do the best work you can do. Can your husband use a little tiny screw driver for everything he does? NO, he has the best.