Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party? >

Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party?

Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 AM

Our guild has been going for 20 years so we have had a lot of Christmas parties. Usually the guild provides the meat/main dish and the members bring sides and desserts. We are big on desserts! One year we had a potholder exchange, several years we had fat quarter exchanges, one year we had a 12 inch quilt block exchange. this year we had a decorated dishtowel exchange. We have secret stitchers and usually I crochet a "name doily" as my final gift, but this year I had the same lady I had once before so I made a cute mug rug instead. We had singers for entertainment. We meet in a large church and the room is always nicely decorated. What fun. One of our members is past 90 and still actively participates. We also have a couple of junior members.They are sponsored by another member, usually a mom or grandma, so they have direction and assistance. We did annual quilt shows for 20 years as part of the towns summer celebration. It's been a busy group and it provides a lot of enjoyment. In January we will meet at the local quilt shop and make cancer hats for the local cancer center. We always have at least one meeting to make baby qults for the local NICU. These come in all year as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:33 AM

Our church quilting group - about 20 members - has a potluck meal at someone's house. We have a very brief business meeting - during this we find out which area
groups were recipients of our quilts. After we eat, we exchange small gifts - usually quilting related, visit, then take time off until after Christmas. This gives us time to finish our own projects. And since some of us are more involved than others in church related activities, it gives us a change to breath!!

Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Missi
OMG - that sounds like so much fun. I wonder how you could change the story for a mid year thing. We just did a pattern exchange and put them all in a sack and then drew one. This would be much more fun!
Missi, I'll work on some sort of a not holiday-related version.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanks. Merry Christmas and a happy, health filled and productive new year. FroggyinTexas
Old 12-22-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My guild is having ours this next week. We have potluck and a silent auction table. We usually have entertainment from a soloist or speaker from a local civic/church/club group. This year we are having an ornament exchange. Bring an ornament and get an ornament. I was wondering about what other guilds do at their Christmas program.
We had ours the first Thurs of Dec. I took a quilted tree made with my embroidery machine as a door prize. I also won 2 prizes myself. Fun times. Jenelle
Old 12-22-2010, 01:16 PM

We had ours the first Thurs of Dec. I took a quilted tree made with my embroidery machine as a door prize. I also won 2 prizes myself. Fun times. Jenelle[/quote]

Jenelle, sounds like fun. I would have liked to have seen your quilted tree. You embroidery machine people make such neat things.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:19 PM

We had a gift exchange - members made pillows or purses/bags. We also had some donated door prizes and of course a pot luck :-) ... we made the date on our usual monthly sewing day so we sewed too.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by marymm
We had ours the first Thurs of Dec. I took a quilted tree made with my embroidery machine as a door prize. I also won 2 prizes myself. Fun times. Jenelle
Jenelle, sounds like fun. I would have liked to have seen your quilted tree. You embroidery machine people make such neat things.[/quote]

Well if I did this right here is the address to use for when I posted a picture of the tree on this group.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-80204-1.htm
I'll check this out after I send it to make sure it works.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 PM

I remember that tree--what a wonderful prize.