Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts" >

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
This is a pic of a wool tree skirt. The next three pic are the largest wool applique I've done. It is houses for each month of the year. I really enjoy working with wool.
I love love love your houses. They have so much personality and originality. I love more original and less "perfectly" drawn designs. Don't you just love reusing wool and fabrics? I think that would be such fun. What do you use the house quilt for? Is it a wall hanging?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 AM

This is a pic of a wool tree skirt. The next three pic are the largest wool applique I've done. It is houses for each month of the year. I really enjoy working with wool.
Also - another question Grammy - is the background on your houses quilt flannel or is it wool?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Roxanne,

Lovely, lovely work. I need to get better at my stitches. I only know the basic ones. Do you have a resource with stitches I can practice? I'm having a knee replacement in April and will only be doing hand work then for awhile.

I am also interested in continuing to improve my skills. I work mostly with wool felt though. Sometimes I felt wool sweaters but that result can be thick doesn't work for all projects. I have a ton of wool felt though.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
I've made several all wool quilts. I used flannel for the back. One is in Indiana, on in Oregon and we have one. I even used wool for he binding. Big mistake. Last year I replace the binding with flannel. We use our wool quilt all winter.
What happened to the wool binding? Or what made it a big mistake?
Nothing happened to the wool binding. It was itchy on my skin. As an after thought it was not a good idea. :lol:
Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 AM

Also - another question Grammy - is the background on your houses quilt flannel or is it wool?
The house are on a wool background.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 AM

I love love love your houses. They have so much personality and originality. I love more original and less "perfectly" drawn designs. Don't you just love reusing wool and fabrics? I think that would be such fun. What do you use the house quilt for? Is it a wall hanging?
Actually I use it to cover my bed pillow in the winter, pure decoration.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by creativesheila
Roxanne,

Lovely, lovely work. I need to get better at my stitches. I only know the basic ones. Do you have a resource with stitches I can practice? I'm having a knee replacement in April and will only be doing hand work then for awhile.

I am also interested in continuing to improve my skills. I work mostly with wool felt though. Sometimes I felt wool sweaters but that result can be thick doesn't work for all projects. I have a ton of wool felt though.
I have several books, but one that really works well for me is called, "The Embroiderer's Handbook". I have a copy checked out from the library and it seems like it has the best descriptions for me to follow. I highly recommend it. Sue Spargo recommends The Right Handed Embroidery book and/or The Left Handed Embroidery book. A lot of embroidery books are really not helpful and don't tell you really well enough how to do the stitiches. You have to be careful when purchasing. I am going to post youtube tutorials for help too. Might even make some of my own.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by thrums
Originally Posted by gal288
I'm in I love working with wool. I'm currently marking a Partridge in a Pear Tree Wallhanging for next xmas.

Your blocks are beautiful, love the colors and details.

Very nice!

Do you put the background in a hoop or simply hold it in your hand when you stitch it?

TY
No - no hoop is used. That would stretch the wool too much. Some people use fusible web to hold down their wool prior to stitching but most people I know do not do this. Some use a uhu glue stick lightly to pin the wool applique pieces down, others just use applique pins. Once you get it stiched down with either the whip stitch or the buttonhole stitch then you are free to do all the embellishing and embroidery stitches you choos. It is really quite simple.

TUTORIAL: Blanket Stitch Tutorial by Auriful Threads on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3ov...S8BwY&index=15
Old 02-18-2011, 09:01 AM

Got my pattern ordered, ready to start!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Got my pattern ordered, ready to start!
Very cool. This is going to be fun.