Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts" >

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 PM

I have one of those heavy wool quilts that my Granny (I am 63) made me out of Grandpa's old wool pants. The backing was flannel. I just recently took the layers apart bec the backing was in tatters ... the batting was also little balls of wool. The top is still in very good shape. Anyhow, plan to put it back together with a light wtg but sturdy backing.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
I'm in I love working with wool. I'm currently marking a Partridge in a Pear Tree Wallhanging for next xmas.

Your blocks are beautiful, love the colors and details.

Very nice!

Do you put the background in a hoop or simply hold it in your hand when you stitch it?

TY
Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 AM

There is a Yahoo group called woolybuddies.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:36 AM

What was that shop thinking putting the quilt on the floor for people to walk on? Makes my heart hurt. I was raised in FL and my Mom used quilts my grandmother made to lay on at the beach. If only......
Old 02-18-2011, 04:53 AM

I have admired Sue Spargo's work for a long time...and do have a pretty good collection of wool as I have done rughooking for many years. Wool Applique is quite popular now...I have done some both by hand, and by machine. I love the look, and do want to more of it.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 AM

I've made several all wool quilts. I used flannel for the back. One is in Indiana, on in Oregon and we have one. I even used wool for he binding. Big mistake. Last year I replace the binding with flannel. We use our wool quilt all winter.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
Originally Posted by clsurz
Felting is big business.
Have you done it or are you involved in it? Would love to hear.
I started getting interested in it a couple months ago when I was researching something about quilting and came upon machine felting. So I went out and bought me a felting machine and just now starting to play with it. I joined Linda Hall's yahoo group on felting, and have purchase roving wool and such on eBay and been playing with it a bit as well as hand felting a bit. I'm more interested in doing wall paintings on fabric or small wool appliques to put on quilts, bags, etc.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
Felting is big business.
Have you done it or are you involved in it? Would love to hear.
I started getting interested in it a couple months ago when I was researching something about quilting and came upon machine felting. So I went out and bought me a felting machine and just now starting to play with it. I joined Linda Hall's yahoo group on felting, and have purchase roving wool and such on eBay and been playing with it a bit as well as hand felting a bit. I'm more interested in doing wall paintings on fabric or small wool appliques to put on quilts, bags, etc.

I also forgot to mention I bought Linda Hall's book on felting which is worth every penny and than some along with a couple other books on dry and wet felting.

I've been saving old wool sweaters, blankets and such to play with later and reuse in projects by cutting it up.

Fleece or flannel make a good background board so to speak to create your projects with. You truly can use alot of different fabrics along with wool and blend things in.

If you go to youtube and find Machine Needle Felting: Texturizing Fabric by ozgirl57 you will learn all sorts of things from her video's.

At this link she shows how to texturize fabric using a felting machine....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3O16...A6B642CB87B458

Just key in her name and you find all sorts of video's by her.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM

My avatar is an appliqued wool design. it is called American Beauty and I saw it on Alex Anderson's show several yars ago. It is appliqued on to flannel. But I really like the Sue Spargo embroidery stitches. Looks like you go over the same area 2 or 3 times. I use old sweaters, wool garments and fabric from thrift shops and friends giving me old things.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

i have heard people say..."I don't really like quilts on my bed...they are not very warm"...WHAT??? REALLY??? my quilts are WARM!!!and my black wool Backyard Gathering quilt has double sided black flannel backing and a black wool batting inside! it is WARM! but being where we tend to have some pretty cold temps in the winter the people in my world like their quilts warm, heavy, snuggly! those are the kind i tend to make, no one will ever say.... i like the quilt but it doesn't keep you warm, i need a blanket too...
and i don't think i have a pic of it on the computer...i should get it out and take a couple, maybe this weekend i will do that...but there is a picture of it on the Cotton Patch Quilt Shop web site (the shop in East Tawas, Michigan) she has a link to customer quilts on her web site and mine is shown there. she also offers it as a BOM although i had made the quilt before it was offered that way.

Originally Posted by Kutnso
Wool quilts make beautiful wallhangings but believe me, you don't want to sleep under one. When I was a child, many years ago, my Mom and Gran made wool quilts out on men's discarded clothing etc., these were so heavy that you had to sleep with your feet sideways. Anyone else know about these???
Happy sewing, Kutnso
wool crazy patch pin cushion-gift
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117838[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-117833.jpe