Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to make this block?

Blog Entries
    You are very welcome
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

I think paper piecing would be the easiest and most accurate.

Here is a "math teacher" suggestion for using your requirement of the charm square aspect: sew two charm squares together on the diagonal a la HST-style; press to set the seam and trim leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Next, draw a line where you want the parallel seam. Now, using the desired "trim triangle", position it along that line, right sides together, so that when stitched it will complete the square.
    Note: the "trim triangle" will be a bit larger than needed so you could be "approximate" in placing it, if you are willing to square up the piece after adding that triangle. There should be a minimum of trim waste and the second "trim triangle" can be saved to be used in another project. Actually, all of the "extra" triangles could be sewn together to make HSTs.

It looks to me like the four quares are half square triangles with a snowball in one corner. Then the four squares are sewn together. Appears to be pretty simple. Cute idea.

I saw a video on this block..and now I can not find it. They used 2 -- 2.5 inch strips and 1 -- 1.5 inch strip. Sewed the entire length together, then did the traingle cuts on the strips. She showed where you can put the 1.5 inch strip at the end or the middle and how each way looked. I thought I saved the tute... nope.. one of my brain fart moments I guess.
    Faye

I think it might look like one of Rhonda's cut down methods. The ones I've tried go pretty good, maybe a little more waste then some other ways, but pretty easy when you get the hang of it.
    MIMI
    New Castle, DE

See this Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/missouriquilt.../3/vOWSp0mTTqE

Banned
    its a tube square one side strips and the other side is wider solid/or print.

Power Poster

Bearisgray's method

If I was doing this with 5-inch charm squares - assuming that they were cut "perfectly" - this is what I would do:

Cut as indicated in the drawings.

Theoretically, the unit should be 4-5/8 inches after the three pieces are sewn together. (Finished size - theoretically, should be 4-1/8 inches.

When sewing the two smaller pieces together, there will be "dog ears" when they are put together.

After sewing the three pieces together, I would trim the unit to 4-1/2 inches.

I don't have major problems sewing bias edges together - and I think the unit presses up very nicely when cut this way.

There will be some left-over pieces that can be used for other projects doing it this way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-18-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Couldn't you just stack your charm squares {or any size squares you want] and make the 2 cuts, then re-arrange the colors in the stack, and sew them back together?
    HisPatchwork

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by HisPatchwork View Post
    Couldn't you just stack your charm squares {or any size squares you want] and make the 2 cuts, then re-arrange the colors in the stack, and sew them back together?

This is how the three pieces would go together - one needs to allow for seam allowances
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bearisgray; 11-18-2011 at 07:07 AM.

That looks like a block I seen on you tube and I think they call it tube quilting. You sew the strips together and then cut them. Go to you tube and type in "tube quilting".

Sure, easy. make a paper template to figure your measurements. " 6" square. make a line corner to corner, on the side (corner) measure the side "6" and mark a dot at the half 3" measurement. draw a line diagonally thru to the other side and that is your pattern. Add 1/4" to each piece and you have your measurement for each piece. I do strips and then cut the pieces I need. Be sure your outside measurements are on the straight of grain to prevent stretching. Easy pattern!
    Jan

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky View Post
    I've seen this block before and was wondering if anyone could identify it or how to make it? I can see how to do it with strips, but I want to make it with charm squares (where both pink pieces would be from the same square). I also did a Paint mockup of the pattern when 4 blocks are put together. Ignore the mismatched points Without a lot of waste, I'm not sure what to do... Thanks!
    She said she wanted to do it with charm squares.

Tricia Cribbs has written multiple Turning Twenty books. I just ordered the new one; Stained Glass Turning Twenty quilts last night from Connecting Threads for only $10 and some change. I love this new pattern of hers.
    She's made circular patterns, rectangular patterns and strip type patterns. Love her books and find them easy to follow.
    Karen in Kentucky

I've seen this block before and was wondering if anyone could identify it or how to make it? I can see how to do it with strips, but I want to make it with charm squares (where both pink pieces would be from the same square). I also did a Paint mockup of the pattern when 4 blocks are put together. Ignore the mismatched points Without a lot of waste, I'm not sure what to do... Thanks!
    This is not exactly the same, but if you don't make it into 4 pieces and use three, it will be the same. Here is the link:http://www.clothworks.com/pattern_download.asp?ID=216
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

I'm trying to do it with charms, not tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Linn View Post
    That looks like a block I seen on you tube and I think they call it tube quilting. You sew the strips together and then cut them. Go to you tube and type in "tube quilting".
    Nothing's a mistake. It's a learning experience. Some experiences, you learn more than others.

it's not hard, as you said, but you can't do it and keep it the same size. you have to lose some to seam allowances.
    you would lose .5" on the stripe part and .5" on the other part, altogether a lot. try it on paper.
    if you can't fly as high as you want, fly as high as you can. -me.

It looks llike a block from the nickle quilt books. Half sqare triangls with a smaller square sewn to one corner and pressed back.

that looks like the block that Rhoda is teaching on the EQ5 tut,go to archive for last monday,the 14th and check out her quilt block,

d.swindle

looks like a hst block, but then one side has a smaller square layed on corner, sewn on diagonal folded back and made to look like a strip triangle.......I guess you would have to do the smaller square corner consistently on the same side of that hst to get the then finished first block (4 hst joined together) That is how I dissected it.
    Geri

Quote Originally Posted by amma View Post
    Here are the templates for each of the blocks mentioned above
    Thanks Amma. I'll be trying this soon.

This is an easy block to make, I have done it with 2 - 2 1/2" strips sewn rights side together up one side then placed on top of a 4 1/2" strip right sides together and sew up both sides. WHen tube is made you then cut triangles out and this enables you to open up the triangle up to make the block, you can set the blocks in either a square pattern or play with them and you can make a neat step down pattern. good luck and have fun

Check out the U-Tube tutorials from Missouri Star Quilt Co. They have one very similar to it that I have done but do not remember the name. Hope you can find it.

Cut 2 squares of equal size and draw a line diagonal from one corner to the opposite corner on the back of one of them. Put right sides together. Then stitch 1/4" on each side of the drawn line. Cut on the line. Then take one smaller square for the corner. Draw a diagonal from one corner to the opposite corner on the back of the smaller square. Place the smaller square on corner. Have the diagonal line going the same direction of the first HST. Stitch on the line of smaller square. Trim to 1/4" seam. When you trim the material, you want the small triangle to fold back towards the corner. You will also trim the corner away from the HSt you first sewed. I hope this makes sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast