Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone know what left twist thread is? >

Anyone know what left twist thread is?

Anyone know what left twist thread is?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
I learn something new every time I get on the forum, which is multiple times a day, by the way. What a wonderful group of people. I don't post a whole lot, but like I said, I'm here every day. I love your new sewing machine and would feel blessed to have one like it. Pay no attention to negative remarks. I love sewing machines and have a collection of vintage machines along with a new Brother 6000, which sews really well for an inexpensive machine, and a Singer 2010 Touch Tronic, which also sews really well. Yesterday, I bought a Singer 101, manufactured in 1926, which is a straight stitch only, but it is unbelievable how well it sews. I know you'll enjoy your new machine.
Thank you! Sounds like you have some pretty great machines. And you have some cute dogs too. We have 3 Bostons. :)
Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911
Ditto on all the comments. Your machine sews, you are happy with it that's all that counts. It is your talent that makes the machine sing. Sorry I can't help you with the thread issue.
Yes, and it sews beautifully! I've been doing FMQ with it today just for fun before I put it on the Gracie and it's been FUN! It's the first time I've ever done that so I'm not great at it but the machine works like a charm.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by fktsewing
so excited for you that you got a new machine and it does not matter what brand it is. We all have our special brands we love & dislike, but they pretty much all do sew right? Enjoy your new baby and don't let her get to you.

Whoever you are that trashed the brand that Bostons bought should be ashamed of yourself---your either are very jealous or a very unhappy person who feels the need to hurt others---and you are here why?
Awww...thanks for your support! You're right...we all have our special brands. And they pretty much all do sew. And mine is sewing beautifully. :)
Old 09-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure what it means but long ago I did hear something about it having to do with the spool. Sorry to hear someone took it upon themselves to trash your new machine. Let that one comment pass unless this is always a negative person then you can just ignore her/his replys. :D
Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Annz
I'm not sure what it means but long ago I did hear something about it having to do with the spool. Sorry to hear someone took it upon themselves to trash your new machine. Let that one comment pass unless this is always a negative person then you can just ignore her/his replys. :D
I don't think she's always negative so maybe she was just having a bad day. We all know how that is. Maybe she can just keep from raining on my parade next time. ;)

Thanks for the thread info. Everyone has been so helpful!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:42 PM

Congrats on the new toy. Don't let anyone rain on your parade. Didn't know threads have twists. My problem is shredding thread. It collects in a gob above the needle and eventually breaks if I don't see it and cut it off and rethread. Illsa
Old 09-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Illsa
Congrats on the new toy. Don't let anyone rain on your parade. Didn't know threads have twists. My problem is shredding thread. It collects in a gob above the needle and eventually breaks if I don't see it and cut it off and rethread. Illsa
It sounds like you're using too small of a needle for the thread or you're using thread that has a lot of slubs.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Illsa
Thank you! I've had that happen before on my other machine. I'm not sure what causes it but if you read through this thread there are a few good sites that were referenced that are all about thread. Hopefully you will find your answer there. Or maybe if you post your question. I found that there are a LOT of people who have tons of thread knowledge here. :)
Old 09-04-2010, 12:46 PM
MNM

Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
thanks for that great web site - perhaps it may answer my problem as to why my thread sometimes knots up when I am hand quilting. I can go for several needles, then whamo! I get one of those awful knots. Sometimes they can be unraveled, but not all of the time and I end up cutting it off or burying it in the quilt. I use beeswas, thread heaven but no, it keeps knotting. Maybe I make the thread too long - I do not know. Anyone else out there have the same problem?????
My quilting teacher says alway thread the needle with the end of the thread that comes off the spool. Thread it before you cut it off the spool. If you use it the other way you are going against the warp. And it will just keep knotting on you and sticking together and giving you all sorts of trouble . I use Thread Heaven wich is a wax in a blue box and it makes my thread run very smoothly through the fabric.
MNM
Old 09-04-2010, 02:18 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
There are two types of twist, Z twist and S twist. I don't remember which is which but one is cross wound on the spool and should come off the end of the spool and the other is stacked wound and should come off the side of the spool. Cross wound means the thread crosses over itself on the spool and stacked means it doesn't.
I just learned something new!!!