Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone know what left twist thread is? >

Anyone know what left twist thread is?

Anyone know what left twist thread is?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM

I'm starting this over since on my other thread someone decided to trash the type of machine I purchased today and am so excited about instead of helping me with my thread question. So I'll leave my machine out of the title and the body and re-ask the thread question.

Does anybody know what left twist thread is? Is it anything special or different than "regular" thread?

I thought this was a nice, happy, helpful place to be. :(
Old 08-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

I just looked at some of my thread it is seems to me to twist toward the left. I have never heard of any twist issues before. Interesting. By the way I'm happy for you and your new machine! Ignore unwelcomed coments. This is a great place to learn and share. :)
Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry to hear that someone did that to you. Don't let it get to you. This board is full of wonderfully supportive people. Every now and then there's going to be a pain in the you-know-what. I'm excited for you!! Getting a new machine is AWESOME!!
Hugs, Sue
Sorry I don't have an answer for your question :)
Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 PM

Thank you! I think I'll just thread and go. :) And thanks for the kind words.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:46 PM

How exciting to get a new machine!! I hope that you will get your answer sorry I don't know either. Sorry I am such a dork I had this long explaination on how to thread the machine I am at the tail end of a migrain maybe i need to take a break! But I will say I looked at what the machine was and I am green with envy so you enjoy!!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM

I Googled "left twist thread". It is thread that is made for a sewing machine.

Judy
Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks! You guys are great! Jade, sorry about your migraine. Those things are no fun. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 PM

I'm not familiar with there being directional difference in the twist of thread. I thought it was all the same, but guess there must be some of it that is opposite?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

How exciting - you got a new machine. Doesn't that feel like birthday and christmas and all the other holidays wrapped into one?

Sorry I can't offer any help on the thread. I'd suggest that you try different threads and see what your machine likes. Mine are perfectly happy with the Coats and Clark STAR thread and the Essentials from Connecting threads. She also does well with Guetermann and YLI. A lot depends on how you set the thread in the uptake. If they are criss-crossed, they need to be stored horizontally. If they are wound evenly, they need to stand upright.

I just took a class last night and one of the gals had the same machine as I did and she broke 3 needles during class. So I would say that the needle is just as important as the thread - or better yet, the thread and the needle have to go together.

Enjoy and don't allow anyone to kill your joy.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 PM

There are two types of twist, Z twist and S twist. I don't remember which is which but one is cross wound on the spool and should come off the end of the spool and the other is stacked wound and should come off the side of the spool. Cross wound means the thread crosses over itself on the spool and stacked means it doesn't.