Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone know what left twist thread is? >

Anyone know what left twist thread is?

Anyone know what left twist thread is?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:48 PM

I responded to your other thread about having your same machine & loving it. Seemed worth repeating!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 PM

I did a search and found this really helpful page. It looks like all machine thread is left twist.

http://www.ylicorp.com/pdf/tot-brochure.pdf
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 PM

the left twist, i'm reasonably sure, is the direction of the fibers are spun into thread. when your thread comes off the spool, the left twist will not curly-que when you release the tension on it or some such thing.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:31 AM

thanks for that great web site - perhaps it may answer my problem as to why my thread sometimes knots up when I am hand quilting. I can go for several needles, then whamo! I get one of those awful knots. Sometimes they can be unraveled, but not all of the time and I end up cutting it off or burying it in the quilt. I use beeswas, thread heaven but no, it keeps knotting. Maybe I make the thread too long - I do not know. Anyone else out there have the same problem?????
Old 09-01-2010, 04:41 AM

Gosh, I never heard about the left twist thing, but I did know that the way a thread is wound tells you if it should be fed standing up on a pin or lying down for machines that have the 2 choices. My old machines didn't, my new ones do.
Haven't been having problems so I guess I am doing it right.

So happy for you on your new machine. I hope you and she have a long and happy relationship. Any pics? And did you name her? :-)
Old 09-01-2010, 04:51 AM

Left twist, or Z twist thread is, generally speaking, better for your machine since the twist plays nicely with the twists and turns the thread must following as it winds it way from the spool to the needle. Not all sewing thread is spun with a Z twist however. Mostly it is a european thing. Threads made in US, Mexico, and South America are (I wont say ALL because I have not seen every thread made) generally spun with a S or right twist. Right twist threads work much better in hand work because of the hand movements involved in stitching.
HTH
Sorcha
Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 AM

You got to live this board you learn something every day.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM

late bloomer, are you being sure that you thread the end that comes off the spool and make your knot in the end that you cut? I was amazed when I heard this and had to do a test.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM

Ah, I never knew there was so much to learn about thread! And you are all so helpful. I really do appreciate that! As for a picture, I will take one of her but right now I have just a bit of a mess on my table and I HATE to have a mess. I'm in the process of setting up my Gracie II still and so have the remaining parts on my table, plus my Janome Memory Craft 10,000 is sitting behind my new 1600 (worried that she may have been replaced...not a chance!). Once I have everything cleaned up I will take a pic. Maybe I'll throw my vintage Pfaff 130 in there that was my Dad's. It needs a whole lot of TLC to get it shiny and pretty again, but it works! It's set up for the hand crank and I just had it serviced.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 PM

I don't know the answer to the thread question. I just wanted to add to the other comments that I am sorry you had someone so negative in your post. There are so many of us who are truly happy for you! A new machine is fantastic!! I hope you have many wonderful times discovering and enjoying your new machine!!