Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what left twist thread is?

congrats on your new machine, I am so happy with mine, it doesn't matter what brand you have if you are happy with it that is the main thing, have fun with it and show everyone what you have made with your new machine, YAY GO FOR IT GIRL

Blog Entries
    Another great site for thread information is:
    superiorthreads.com
    They had education section and ask Bob. This guy has the answers for any question I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostons
    I'm starting this over since on my other thread someone decided to trash the type of machine I purchased today and am so excited about instead of helping me with my thread question. So I'll leave my machine out of the title and the body and re-ask the thread question.

Does anybody know what left twist thread is? Is it anything special or different than "regular" thread?

I thought this was a nice, happy, helpful place to be. :(
    HI, not sure what left twist thread is either, but if your thread keeps knotting up at the eye of the needle and shredding it is the size of the needle being wrong for the size of the thread. There are charts that list thread size and compatible needle eye size. The other problem I have had with knotting thread is either bobbin reeling off in the wrong direction, or tension mis adjustment. I teach sewing classes and these are the most common of mistakes, so check there first. Sorry I didn't see your first posting (don't think I did anyway) but I personally never met a machine I couldn't love, though some are easier to to use than others. Good luck on your purchase!

Found a few things:

This link is to a clear and informative article about left and right twist:

http://www.funfun-japan.com/index.php?S%20or%20Z%3F

This is a quote from another article:

'Thread is twisted to the left or twisted to the right, depending on its use. Left-twist thread is always used in the sewing machine because the action of the stitch-forming mechanism tends to ravel or break right-twist thread. Left- or right- twist thread may be used for hand sewing. The terms that designate left-twist threads are machine, machine twist, left twist, and Z twist. A cord or thread has left (or Z) twist if, when held in a vertical position, the twist of the yarn follows the slope of the central portion of the letter Z'

Looks like worst case scenario is if you use right twist thread in a sewing machine, it will likely break or ravel.

Hope this helps. I learned plenty LOL!

I'm sure she must have had a bad morning after sucking all her points into her cover plate! Either that or she accidentally wandered in from the Crabby Telephone Operators' site or B*tches Anonymous!
    Regarding whatever machine you just bought, does it do what you want? Do you like it? 'Nuff said

The left/right twist thing must be why when I thread a hand sewing needle befor cutting the length, I don't get those pesky knots while stitching.

Wow, you guys are GREAT! I'm becoming a thread expert. I love the diagrams too. Very helpful. I did go back to the dealer yesterday for something and he showed me how left twist and right twist looks. He said that typically you don't have a problem with the higher quality thread. But it really sounds like people use all kinds of thread, as long as the twist is right. But am I also getting that maybe serger thread is not so good? I thought those big cones might be great on my Gracie. I guess I can hold it up and see which way it twists, now that I understand that. I think I'll go read the thread information site. :)

Someone asked for a picture of my new machine so here is a pic of my new Janome 1600P QC next to my Janome Memory Craft 10,000. I knew there was a lot more throat space but WOW, seeing them side by side!

And thanks for all of your other support. Some of your comments are cracking me up!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    So happy for you on your new machine. I hope you and she have a long and happy relationship. Any pics? And did you name her? :-)
    Thank you! Hmmm...I haven't named any of my machines before. Maybe I should? :)

Blog Entries
    Bostons,
    I wonldn't use serger thread for anything but serging. Serger thread is only a 2 ply and much thinner than regular thread. If you use regular thread in the serger, you get a thicker seam because it's 3 ply. I would never use it for any quilting unless you are serge piecing the quilt. Then you are using lots of thread and it will hold together.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I did a search and found this really helpful page. It looks like all machine thread is left twist.

http://www.ylicorp.com/pdf/tot-brochure.pdf
    Thank you for posting this great document on thread and needles. It is so helpful.
    Debi

Quote Originally Posted by pflum1
    Bostons,
    I wonldn't use serger thread for anything but serging. Serger thread is only a 2 ply and much thinner than regular thread. If you use regular thread in the serger, you get a thicker seam because it's 3 ply. I would never use it for any quilting unless you are serge piecing the quilt. Then you are using lots of thread and it will hold together.
    Oh thank you!!! No wonder it feels so different too. Okay, I will save it for my sergers. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Debi S
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I did a search and found this really helpful page. It looks like all machine thread is left twist.

http://www.ylicorp.com/pdf/tot-brochure.pdf
    Thank you for posting this great document on thread and needles. It is so helpful.
    Debi
    Yes, thanks Scissor Queen. I now have a bookmarked section on my computer just for thread thanks to all of the helpful people here!

You have a wonderful machine with lots of great features. Enjoy it and congratulations.

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry that someone felt that they had run down the machine that you purchased. In my opinion we all purchase what we can afford or what we need. I think it is great that you got a new machine. I do not post what machine I have for that very reason. I pray that you enjoy your sewing experience with your new machine.

Hand sewing thread is twisted differently than machine thread. That is why I always frown when I see people buying hand thread for their machine. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Gail
    I Googled "left twist thread". It is thread that is made for a sewing machine.

Judy
    I learn something every day on this forum. Thanks Judy for the info about the thread.
    My machine brand isn't trashed on the forum, it just isn't good enough to be mentioned I guess. However I've used the same brand for 50 years and have always been happy with it. At least I could afford it when I bought it! :-)

:-D

I have the same problem..I use a dryer sheet and it helps. Just run it along the thread before or after you thread your needle. I keep it handy to redo as I sew.Sometimes it takes two or three time, but to me its worth the extra effort....Good luck.
    I have always found this a nice place to look for very inspiring ideas. I DO sometimes "borrow" your ideas I find here. Thanks to all for them. I may get gutsy one day and post a few pics myself...lol

Thanks again. And yes, I think that whatever machine makes US happy is the best machine for us. Unless we ASK for someone's opinion, that opinion should be kept quiet. Some people just feel free to give their opinion on everything.

Wow, Bostons, that's a beautiful machine. Congratulations!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I thought about this thread last night when I was doing some hand sewing. I pay close attention that I thread the needle from the piece of thread that comes off the spool - not the cut end. To make sure I don't get them confused, I try not to cut the thread until the needle is threaded. If you thread the needle with the end that is cut, the twist of the thread goes against its natural flow and you will find more knots and breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    Wow, Bostons, that's a beautiful machine. Congratulations!
    Thank you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I thought about this thread last night when I was doing some hand sewing. I pay close attention that I thread the needle from the piece of thread that comes off the spool - not the cut end. To make sure I don't get them confused, I try not to cut the thread until the needle is threaded. If you thread the needle with the end that is cut, the twist of the thread goes against its natural flow and you will find more knots and breakage.
    I always heard this when sewing clothes too, even though it was so tempting to thread the needle with the cut end since it was freshly cut and would always thread so nicely. :) Thank you.

I would love to have your new machine---I'm still using an inexpensive Singer--but it works and I can't complain!

Blog Entries
    Kathy, I never knew that! Learn something new everyday.

Congratulations on your new machine. Would twist thread be the way the spool spins when the thread comes off?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast