Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Anyone know what left twist thread is?

Congrats on the new toy. Don't let anyone rain on your parade. Didn't know threads have twists. My problem is shredding thread. It collects in a gob above the needle and eventually breaks if I don't see it and cut it off and rethread. Illsa

Quote Originally Posted by Illsa
    Congrats on the new toy. Don't let anyone rain on your parade. Didn't know threads have twists. My problem is shredding thread. It collects in a gob above the needle and eventually breaks if I don't see it and cut it off and rethread. Illsa
    It sounds like you're using too small of a needle for the thread or you're using thread that has a lot of slubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Illsa
    Thank you! I've had that happen before on my other machine. I'm not sure what causes it but if you read through this thread there are a few good sites that were referenced that are all about thread. Hopefully you will find your answer there. Or maybe if you post your question. I found that there are a LOT of people who have tons of thread knowledge here. :)

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
    thanks for that great web site - perhaps it may answer my problem as to why my thread sometimes knots up when I am hand quilting. I can go for several needles, then whamo! I get one of those awful knots. Sometimes they can be unraveled, but not all of the time and I end up cutting it off or burying it in the quilt. I use beeswas, thread heaven but no, it keeps knotting. Maybe I make the thread too long - I do not know. Anyone else out there have the same problem?????
    My quilting teacher says alway thread the needle with the end of the thread that comes off the spool. Thread it before you cut it off the spool. If you use it the other way you are going against the warp. And it will just keep knotting on you and sticking together and giving you all sorts of trouble . I use Thread Heaven wich is a wax in a blue box and it makes my thread run very smoothly through the fabric.
    MNM

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    There are two types of twist, Z twist and S twist. I don't remember which is which but one is cross wound on the spool and should come off the end of the spool and the other is stacked wound and should come off the side of the spool. Cross wound means the thread crosses over itself on the spool and stacked means it doesn't.
    I just learned something new!!!

Left twist thread is the direction the thread is loaded onto the spool. Sometimes it makes a difference whether the thread is comming off the spool Horz. or Vert. If it twists comming off the spool one way, change the direction of the spool. Sometimes the way the thread comes off the spool, over or under to thread you machine makes a difference. If one way does it change to the other. Hand sewing,,,take the thread in your fingers before knotting and let the needle untwist naturally, and no more knots. Sometimes you can take the two ends and snap them and the needle will spin and take out the twists for you, then knot it. Good luck, Jean

Bostons, the next time you go to your LQS ask them if they know and let us know. I will mine tomorrow and ask them. that way you will get an answer from 2 continents one way or another.

Love the answers and wealth of knowledge just waiting to be tapped here. It is fantastic.
    I'm so thankful for you all. Now I know if I get a brain fart or worse real quilters will rescue me.
    Illsa

So very sorry that someone did that to you.Good for you and shame on them!!!! I am sorry I can't help you with the thread issue though.Enjoy your new machine.We have a great helpful group here and we are glad to have you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4