Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone made this Christmas tree table runner from Jenny Doan

Banned

Anyone made this Christmas tree table runner from Jenny Doan

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/chr...ge-wedge-tool/

I am trying to make it and running into trouble. For the border she states cut the trunks 1.5 inches and the border strips 6.5 inches. Well when I did this it did not align the trunks with the trees. Ripped it out and cut the 6.5 inch pieces to 6.25. Better, but I still had some issues with it. I have a wavy border from trying to make it fit. Argh. This was going to be so cute but now I am afraid I have wasted my time and fabric.

If you have made this, tell me your secret. Sure wish she had a transcript too rather than just the video.

Everyone's 1/4" is different. I would measure than cut to fit the design. I have found that's the easiest way not to pull your hair out. I haven't made this one yet but several others and I just adapt to my measurements. Hope that helps
    *Rachel*

Did you use her wedge tool? Perhaps your trees weren't the same measurement as her trees. Just wondering. It's such a cute runner. I can picture this in fall colors also.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Banned
    Yes, I used the same wedge tool, bought it after seeing this runner from MSQC.

If I were making this pattern, I would start by starching my fabric heavily (before cutting)
    because you are dealing with bias edges here which tend to stretch a lot...hence your wavy
    edges.
    Then I would pin or better yet use tiny dots of washable glue, heat set then go the
    sewing machine.
    Hate to diss Joanie Doan but she makes all her tutorials look so easy when they aren't
    unless you are an experienced quilter.

I have made 7 of these table runners and discovered that not all the trunks would land in the middle of the trees all the time when I sewed the entire border together and checked to see if it lined up. From than on I would start with the first piece pin or baste on the first trunk than hold it up to the tree part of the runner to see if it is going to be centered with the base of the tree. If not adjust the seam allowance on the white piece to make it fit right. On some of my white pieces I had to sometimes cut an 1/8" or so off the edge. I would have to check each trunk as I went. Hope this helps.

I am so glad this thread was started as I just cut out 20 "trees" using the wedge after watching Jenny's tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by tezell0801 View Post
    http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/chr...ge-wedge-tool/

I am trying to make it and running into trouble. For the border she states cut the trunks 1.5 inches and the border strips 6.5 inches. Well when I did this it did not align the trunks with the trees. Ripped it out and cut the 6.5 inch pieces to 6.25. Better, but I still had some issues with it. I have a wavy border from trying to make it fit. Argh. This was going to be so cute but now I am afraid I have wasted my time and fabric.

If you have made this, tell me your secret. Sure wish she had a transcript too rather than just the video.

That's cute. Should be simple to sketch out yourself. One row of blocks would be the wedges/trees and the second row would be the big rectangles and narrow strips/tree trunks, only task would be getting the tree trunks centered under the wedge trees.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I have made the runner but I did not use the ruler she was showing. I just used one with a 60 degree angle and then appliquéd my tree trunks on. I was very pleased with the result.

I hear mention of starch often on this site. What exactly do you use? Method?

Banned
    Thanks for the comments. I guess next time I make this I will not sew the border with trunks strip altogether at once. I will adjust each seam as I go. Seems that the rectangles for the border should be cut about 6 and 1/8 to 6 1/4 rather than 6.5. I am glad to have hopefully saved someone else from making my rookie mistake. It is a very cute table runner - not very hard at all, but I took her word for the length to cut and learned a lesson. I am not sure if I can live with the wavy borders or if I will rip the border off and try again. I hate ripping things apart, I usually lose interest and move on to the next project.

I know we learn from our mistakes and this will help me in the future, but I am lazy about redoing stuff, . I will post a picture once I am finished, ( if I finish it).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackietellijohn60 View Post
    I hear mention of starch often on this site. What exactly do you use? Method?
    I use spray starch on my fabric before I cut it. If any of my cut pieces will have a bias edge then I starch heavy. Some like the starch alternatives like Best Press. Some make their own starch with cornstarch and water.
    Got fabric?

When you use spray starch, be sure to let the fibers absorb the starch before you press. If you press while the spray starch is sitting on top of the fabric, you will get the little white flakes of starch.

Quote Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
    I have made the runner but I did not use the ruler she was showing. I just used one with a 60 degree angle and then appliquéd my tree trunks on. I was very pleased with the result.
    GOOD! idea I was thinking I like to make one but did not want to buy yet again another tool thanks for the tip

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I also have made this runner and ran into the same problem (thought it was me). For the border I ended up doing the trunks one at a time. This was to make sure that the trunks were in the middle of the tree. It didn't take that much more time (compared to ripping out). I also did one with the 60 degree angle. Both were very cute and the people I gave them to really liked them. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Power Poster
    I am not sure what to say. I made two of them last Christmas and had no problems. Are you sure your cutting and sewing is accurate. That is the only thing that could cause this , I think....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if you realize it but you can stop and start(pause) the video. I made the runner last week and it came out with no issues. I look at the videos a few times and write the instructions down. She also talked about pinning to make the trunk line up with the trees. Also need to keep checking for square.

I did make it, but I used a strip from a jelly roll and sewed it together to make a tube. After I turned and pressed it, I cut it into 2 1/2 inch pieces. Then, I cut another strip that was 2 1/2 wide to use for my outside border. Before sewing the strip for the border, I pinned the pieces cut from the tube at the bottom center of each tree. I then sewed the outside border to the trees/trunk piece. After I finished sewing both sides, I stitched the "trunks" down and they were in the perfect places. Hope my instructions are clear.

I bought the fabric for it but did not have time to make it.

Thank you, ladies, for your informative comments. You have no idea how much you've helped me, and probably many others, too.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't do the trunks and background as a separate row. i'd make them to fit the tree block, sew together and then sew into rows.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    you could applique the trunks on if you can't get the sewn ones to line up.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Quote Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
    I want to make the runner but don't want to have to buy the wedge ruler. It looks to me like the angle at the top of her trees is a 45 degree angle. The three sides of the triangle should be 10, 10, and about 7 5/8. Can someone who has the wedge ruler verify the angle measure and the side measures for me?
    Thanks in advance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
    I am not sure what to say. I made two of them last Christmas and had no problems. Are you sure your cutting and sewing is accurate. That is the only thing that could cause this , I think....

trust me I checked and rechecked - I hate to rip out worse than anything. I should have done one to test rather than go with her directions and cut them all. Lesson learned. I tried to fix it best I could, still a bot os a wave but better. Hope it won't be a total waste of my precious fabric.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    Not sure if you realize it but you can stop and start(pause) the video. I made the runner last week and it came out with no issues. I look at the videos a few times and write the instructions down. She also talked about pinning to make the trunk line up with the trees. Also need to keep checking for square.

Hummmmm, no way 6.5 inches worked for me. I have a 1/4 inch foot and a laser on my machine - I have not had a problem so far with 1/4 in. seams. Guess you got lucky or you take a really big 1.4 inch seam and I take a very scant one. Who knows glad it worked for you. I will be better at checking one before cutting all next time. I will definitely make another with this pattern, very cute - but I will be more careful and find what works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast