Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone Making Sticks and Stones Quilt? >

Anyone Making Sticks and Stones Quilt?

Anyone Making Sticks and Stones Quilt?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Default Anyone Making Sticks and Stones Quilt?

I am doing a BOM quilt by Edyta Sitar, it is called Sticks and Stones Quilt. Unfortunately, I have made a mistake and the quilt store Homestead Hearth in Missouri said they don't have any oops kits for it. I cut out the strips and sewed them together just like it said.....I thought. When I started to sew them together I noticed that the points were in the seam allowance. Big Gulp here. Since I have made something like this before I thought I wouldn't have a problem, but boy howdy, I am.
You start by sewing three 1.5 inch strips together. Then it says to align the 45 degree line on the ruler with the strip set edge and cut a 45 degree angle on the strip set. In the picture it shows the 45 degree line is placed on the bottom strips seam line, where it is sewn to the other two strips. These are to be cut at 1.5 inches. That is what I thought I did, but it does not come out right. When I sew three strip sets together to make a diamond it looks wrong as the little diamonds inside don't have points anymore. When I took it apart and set the strips side by side they line up perfect. Oh woe is me. Now I am thinking maybe I should have lined up the 45 degree line on the ruler on the very bottom of the three strips that are sewn together, and not have done what the picture shows.
I ordered a jelly roll from the sticks and stones line and am hoping that it will have what I need to fix this. I am going to take it to my guild and know that someone there can surely help show me what I have done wrong.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:12 PM

I wish I could help. It sure does sound complicated though. I'm only just on my 7th quilt so I haven't tried anything that difficult yet. LOL. I may never.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:10 PM

If you don't get help at your guild meeting, you could probably email Edyta, or post a question on her blog.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:06 PM

What is the exact name of your pattern?
Stick and stones is the name of a selection of patterns.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:14 PM

Which pattern name are you doing.? I have found sticks and stone patterns but none I can see have diagonal lines and sticks and stones appears to be a group name.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:45 AM

I am making a different quilt with diamonds and what I do is sew ny strips together then place my ruler across the 3 strips, cut the 45degree angle. In your case, since you want 1.5 inch pieces, you then place your ruler on the 45 degree angle you just cut at the 1.5 inch line on your ruler and then cut your next piece. Continue to do this across your entire strip. You will then have all your diamond shapes. Try it with scrap fabric so you can get how the process works. Hope my explanation makes sense.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I had planned to make that pattern, I don't remember any diagonal lines though. I am in the process of making double slice quilts right now.
I always change my mind when it is time to select a quilt to make.
Good luck, I hope you can get help with it.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:31 AM

As far as I can see the pattern is called Sticks and Stones. I know that laundry basket quilts has a line of fabric with the same name. It is a 61.5X61.5 quilt when finished. Has a big star in the middle and four smaller stars in each corner and four half stars in between those. It uses Y seams to assemble the diamond stars. It says it is for advanced quilters, since I have made similar blocks before I thought I would be ok. Guild is on Tuesday and I will get help then. It has to be something simple that I did wrong but for the life of me I don't know what it is. I have more sticks and stones fabric that I can substitute so I am not going to panic if the jelly roll doesn't have the exact kind. Ok, I did kind of panic at first. :-)
Old 06-04-2015, 07:57 AM

I found out what I did wrong! In cutting one of the strips it was off by just a bit. This caused a whole snow ball effect. Homestead Hearth called and said they have a stack of fat eighths they could sell me so I said ok.

Nice to know that putting it away to tackle it after a good nights sleep helped and thanks to all of you who responded to my post.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:17 AM

Glad you got it figured out and it is hopefully early in the process so that will stick in your mind. On a Jelly roll or BOM it is always a good idea to have a little extra fabric.