Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing for Men's ties in a memory quilt...Help >

Backing for Men's ties in a memory quilt...Help

Backing for Men's ties in a memory quilt...Help

Old 06-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Default Backing for Men's ties in a memory quilt...Help

So I know someone here can give me guidance. This board has always given me good answers!!!

I have tried to search the web, no luck, so I have come to the experts here.

My father passed away last year, and we have finally gone thru his clothes and I am going to make some memory lap quilts. Dad had over 40 white shirts, and over 50 ties as well as too many plaid shirts. 95% of his shirts are button downs so I don't have to deal with any t-shirts. What I was planning to do is to make some simple 4 and 9 patch squares with sashing (most likely the white shirts). That part is no problem, what is a problem is his ties. He has some really strange ones and they are all types of fabric.

But I would like to use his ties to make one grandmother fan block for each person. After opening up the ties, since everything is on the bias what type of iron on interfacing should I use? Does any one have a suggestion? Most of the interfacing I have used in the past is the standard for dress making. I know there are many new types out there and am lost as to which one would make my life easier.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

If the finished block will be in an item that will be laundered, you need to wash them first. After that, I would take them apart and use an iron on featherweight interfacing like Pellon 911FF on all of them. Some folks also use an iron on tricot, arranging the knit of the tricot perpendicular to the bias.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I was told many years ago to use a woven fusible on the back of any non-washable material and it would then be washable. Never did make a quilt from ties.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:02 AM

There are lots of samples when you do a search on QB. This was posted not long ago by #1piecemaker

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t265519.html