Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone own this machine? >

Anyone own this machine?

Anyone own this machine?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM

i have this machine and keep it in the motorhome for traveling with. use it mostly for piecing have had it for 4 yrs and no trouble at all with it.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:47 PM

I have a brother machine .I don't like it. I can't Bind a quilt on it. It doesn't like the heavy stuff. It boggs down sewing over two seams piecing a quilt. I don't no what model it is. I have old Dressmaker commercial school use that I do heavy stuff on.I wish I had another one.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
Brother CS6000I

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JQM1DE/...SIN=B000JQM1DE

I've been reading about it on Amazon.com and also perusing the reviews. I am really impressed with it but after reading some reviews, I don't know.
I really need a better machine than I have now but can't afford a really expensive machine.
You know the old saying ... "You get what you pay for"! This is a true story and thought I'd pass it along to you. I have a "very close friend" who owned and operated a Fabric Store, Sewing Machine Sales and Service Repair shop for 40 years. He knows sewing machines, inside and out ... if he told you your machine would drive your car, it would indeed drive your car! A party brought in a fairly new "Low Priced" Singer Sewing Machine for repair work. When he called the Singer Corp. for some needed parts .... they told him they didn't make replacement parts for those machines. When he told them it was a fairly new machine and asked how was he suppose to repair it ..... the Singer Corp. told him, "Sell them a "new" machine"! So, the message here is ... these "very cheap and inexpensive sewing machines" are what you call .... "Disposable Machines" (like disposable cameras).
Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 PM

I have several friends on a doll list that have bought this machine. One got his on e-bay for $129.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:41 PM

I have the Brother 4000 version - 40 stitches - 1 step down from the one you want. I LOVE mine, it is quiet, does a good job going through denim on jeans, easy to use, and light weight. I especially love the fact it stops with the needle down position. I use mine almost every morning, quilting, sewing apron out of blue jeans, mending, etc. I am so pleased with mine that I recommend it to anyone looking for a new machine. I bought mine in a Wal-Mart for $129.00 about 2 years ago. It replaced a New Home machine I had had for over 30 years. It would have cost me almost as much $ to fix that one as it cost to buy this one. The only thing I do not like is that the sleeve arm is bigger than the one that I replaced.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:52 PM

have never used this machine but find that i occassionally need to have my machine serviced. where do you go if you need service? how much will it cost? you can probably find the same machine at a dealers for the sa me price and have free lessons and support. its probably a great machine but i'd want someone i can count on if something does go wrong. good luck whatever you decide.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 PM

...Brother CS6000I

I didn't get this particular model, but I did get the XR9000 and I love it - got it off of Amazon also....refurbished and it's wonderful!!! The decorative stitches come out very clear....small, but nice.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 PM

I'm just dreaming at this point but thanks for all the input you gave me.

To those who suggest I go to a dealer for Janome and other high cost machines..............I can barely scrap up enough for this machine @ $169.99 let a lone a Janome. Belive me, I'd like nothing better than to have a top notch machine but not everyone, including myself can afford those machines. I started out sewing on a simple Singer dh got me for Christmas in 1968 and loved but it went on the fritz and we don't have any repair shops near here. I got a Brother XL3022 14 years ago at Walmart for $179 which I like and am using still and haven't had any trouble with it at all but I want one that has more features, now that I am learning to quilt.
JoAnn's has one I'd really like but the $299. (on sale, reg. $399) price tag is beyond my reach. :(
I'll let you know what I get if I am lucky enough to get a new one.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:04 PM

It looks like a bargain at that price. I have a Brother which was originally $2000.00 and reduced to $1,000.00 in a sale. I know it is not in the same class, but my machine is better than the other brand that I have that cost $7,000.00. So I will buy another Brother without hesitation.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
I'm just dreaming at this point but thanks for all the input you gave me.

To those who suggest I go to a dealer for Janome and other high cost machines..............I can barely scrap up enough for this machine @ $169.99 let a lone a Janome. Belive me, I'd like nothing better than to have a top notch machine but not everyone, including myself can afford those machines. I started out sewing on a simple Singer dh got me for Christmas in 1968 and loved but it went on the fritz and we don't have any repair shops near here. I got a Brother XL3022 14 years ago at Walmart for $179 which I like and am using still and haven't had any trouble with it at all but I want one that has more features, now that I am learning to quilt.
JoAnn's has one I'd really like but the $299. (on sale, reg. $399) price tag is beyond my reach. :(
I'll let you know what I get if I am lucky enough to get a new one.
Hope you are happy with the end result - I couldn't afford a good machine until I retired; paid $7000.00 for it and $3000.00 extra for hoops and programs and it has never worked or talked to the computer correctly. The high - end company have never been cooperative. My cheaper Brother is the workhorse. All the best.