Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone tried this? >

Anyone tried this?

Anyone tried this?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Another way to accomplish your goal is to draw your design once, put it on top of 5-6 layers of tissue and sew your design with your DSM without thread, just an old needle. You can use your original design many times before it falls apart. Using a copier to make several of your original is an option too, before you start "sewing" your design, just to make sure you have enough copies. I've done that with Golden Thread Papers and then used them on my longarm. They tear away easily.
This reminded me of a very old method I read about somewhere online not long ago. They would pierce their design on one sheet of paper this way, and then they would pin the paper down and rub chalk dust so that it would filter through the piercings to leave the marks on the fabric. I suspect it was kind of messy and hard to see, or maybe hard to wash out. It does have the advantages of one sheet being reusable and nothing between you and the fabric when you sew. Use an old needle if you sew paper because it will dull the needle.
Pounce works quite well - easy to see and easy to remove.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rb.
I'm wondering... I've watched my SIL trace patterns onto tissue paper, use spray adhesive to attach them to a quilt, then machine quilt. I'm wondering if the spray adhesive could be used to fix the tissue paper to a piece of printer paper, and sent through the printer to print patterns from a computer. If it worked it sure would be faster. Anyone ever try it? If the papers try to split upon entry maybe folding the printer paper over at the leading edge, with a tight crease?
I was just buzzing through my new Nancy's Notions catalog and came upon a page (13) that has "How to make your own printer fabric: and the supplies you need. Has anyone tried this?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Do you know if the softwar is compatable with apple computer?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Please tell me what is chalk pounce? I have seen coments about this a couple of times.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
QM
Power Poster

I don't get that catalog, but many companies carry a product to prepare fabric for printing. My head is not working today, or I would tell you the brand. (CRS) It works beautifully for me. It may, however, depend in part on the brand of ink you are using. HP ink works well.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
Please tell me what is chalk pounce? I have seen coments about this a couple of times.
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/ul...ilt-pounce.php

That will tell you all about it. :thumbup: I only use the white...got burned on a blue chalk marker before, but it wasn't pounce.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I tried this with newsprint paper. Tore off pretty easily and the paper will go through the printer.
Yes, we used the scribble pad paper - it goes through the printer really well too, and tears off like a dream. ($1.00 at the Dollar Stores)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 PM

Okay, here comes a dumb question from a rookie:
WHAT are you talking about, please??? Is this for paper piecing or sticking these papers to fabric to sew over the top of them, then removing them?
Sorry; everyone but me seems to know exactly what this is about, and I'd love to learn more but don't have a clue
(blushing)
Thanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 PM
QM
Power Poster

2 things being talked about here.

A ponce is a bag of chalk, which is a traditional way to transfer a pattern through a template that has holes in it. It may be used for applique or quilting patterns.

There are several different things you can do with a printer to assist in quilting. You can print or copy a pattern, such as a paper piecing pattern. Light weight paper works best for this because it tears off easily. Many people print their quilting patterns, sewing through the paper, and again, tearing it off when they are done.

What I was talking about is a product called BubbleJet. You wash your fabric, soak it in the BubbleJet liquid, hang it to dry, iron it to a piece of freezer paper, trim to 8.5x11, and print directly on the fabric, thus creating anything from a label to a cloth picture of your grandmother to use in your quilt. Be sure to check the permanence of your ink before you put a quilt together this way.

Where I live, there is a T shirt company that will take your photos and print them on your good quality cloth. I'm told it is more stable than BubbleJet printing, but it leaves a plastic feel to the fabric.

There are also a variety of rather pricey pruducts on the market which are fabric pieces (on freezer paper) already prepared for your printer. They vary a lot in cost, stability and fabric quality. Some can't be washed at all.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Thank you for all your input; that was very kind of you.
I just couldn't imagine what Press & Seal wrap could have to do with sewing! (So it can be printed on & then laid onto fabric & sewed through...??)
Another new aspect of this wonderful addiction to be explored.