Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Basting gun- anyone tried one?

I hate basting a quilt with a passion. I was at Joann's a couple of weeks ago and saw a basting gun. I passed on it, as it was almost $30 and I had never even seen a reference to one. Do any of you guys have one? Do you like it, and is it really easier to baste with one of these?

Hi,
    Tried one and did not like it - left too much of a gap between the ends of the basting tie. It also left pretty large holes in the quilttop. I would not waste the dollars on this tool. Only my opinion - but have heard the same from others. Good luck in your decision.
    Sue

I have a mini basteing gun....I forget I have but have used on certain project.....only paid the 40 % off at JoAnns.....if you hate basting you would like this cause it is fast.....

I tried and tried and tried and never got it to work right. I got it new at a garage sale and sold it used at another.

Maria

Hmmm..I tend to make bed sized quilts. Would it save any time on something like that, or should I just keep up with the quilter's safety pins?

Blog Entries
    I'm the gadget queen so I have one. What I use it the most for is to keep blocks or pieces or strips together. I keep blocks that go in one row tacked together, if I have eight rows I have eight stacks of tacked together blocks. I tack scrap pieces together by colors. It makes a great organizing tool. I do use for basting on small quilts or projects.

Lord I love mine. I have my house held together with it. My valances are held onto the curtains with it (they are actually table runners) and the head protection have been held to the chair with it. I have put on numerous buttons with it and yes I have actually used it for a quilt. I wouldn't do without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    i have one but only use it for small quilts. i never use it for anything over 4.5 to 5 feet.

Blog Entries
    I have one I bought many years ago. At that time there were two types on the market. One had a bigger needle and larger tacks and was often accused of leaving bigger holes. Mine has the finer needle and smaller tacks.

It worked really well for me, but the problem I always had was finding a suitable place big enough to baste on. At the time they sold an egg-crate type grid you could slide under the area to be basted, so the quilt sat on that and gave you room to insert the tack without hitting the table underneath. I didn't like that, as the quilt sandwich always shifted on me. I did use the gun with my homemade quilting frame and it worked well that way. (This is a frame of 2x4's that can be clamped together. The quilt is stretched out completely. Takes a lot of space, and sags in the middle, but worked fine for my twin size quilts and smaller.) I think it would be impossible to use a gun on a quilt laid out on carpeting; the tacks would stick in the carpet. I never tried it on a hard floor; might work well that way. I'd test it first, though, in case the plastic tacks are shot out hard enough to mark the floor.

I don't know why I wrote all of the above!!! I don't see any reason to use a tacking gun now that basting spray is widely available. Basting spray is much faster and there is no problem with thread getting caught on a plastic tack when quilting.

I have one and I use it alot. I try to baste in the areas where the holes won't be as noticable.. they do go away after awhile.

Also as far as basting with it on a carpet or table.. I use my cooling rack. Yes the same one I use to cool down those cookies that I rarely bake! Works great and I can slide it as I go.

Blog Entries
    i gave mine away and use fusible batting mostly now or spray fusible.

Banned
    texan

what fusible batting do you use?

i'm using pellon and its very thin. its fine for wall art but for a bed quilt i don't think i would use it.

Have you tried Basting spray? I use that and have not had any problems. I even have some that have stayed together after 2 years.

Here are a couple of sites about the basting gun.

If the needle is long enough, bring it through both layers like a straight pin, it will hold the layers together tighter, instead of just front to back. You also don't have to worry about using a grid. I bought one because it is so much faster and I cannot stand for as long as I use to because of my back and knees.

http://www.quiltersreview.com/article.asp?

article=/review/product/010129_a.asphttp://www.dreamweavers-quilts.com/q...a-tagging-gun/

There are quite a few articles on the web, just google how to use a quilting basting gun.

Good luck

This site has really good phots on how to use the gun as well.

http://www.dreamweavers-quilts.com/q...a-tagging-gun/

Save your money.

I had one long before the longarm, then got rid of it. It didn't hold as precisely as I wanted, it left holes, and I managed to cut a hole in the top trying to remove a bazillion of them in a quilt. Cut one hole in a finished quilt and you'll be done, too.

I think it is personal preference.

I love mine and have several friends that like their's as well. I know it takes a little practice. Most of the people I have talked to that did not like it, only really tried it once or twice. You do need to practice, just a little.

Check out some of the webs sites and forums online. It gets good review and many of the forums talk about some of the problems and how to avoid them. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    the only fusible batting i've used so far is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 fusible.
    i just soak my quilts when done and spin dry to get any residue out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    the only fusible batting i've used so far is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 fusible.
    i just soak my quilts when done and spin dry to get any residue out.
    thank you for letting me know i'll have to give that product a try.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I use a microtach - it leaves tiny holes in SOME fabrics but they disappear. I hand quilt in a grace hoop and nothing so far has shifted. I've so far done small hangings and a lap quilt with no problems and am half way through a queensize - no shifting so far! As shaverg says it's personal preference, I don't like the idea of the chemicals in the sprays.

K x

well, dunno if I am the 'queen' of notions, maybe the 'princess', lol...but, yes, I do have one. I used it a little, and can't remember on what, but was ok with it. I bought mine, back when they were, like, 4.99!
    I keep instructions for my tools, but, alas, I have forgotten how to load the doo-hickeys, and haven't remembered to look at the instructions.
    I always put stuff back after using, or I would lose my mind in that cave, and it is sitting in my bottom drawer of three drawer cart on wheels, waiting patiently for another go at something.
    Glad somebody posted a link, about how to use it, I need visuals.
    I think it is a preference thing, but thanks, kwhite for mentioning all the other things, you can do with it, around the house!!! Keeping mine fer sure. :D

I have one, I use nail clippers to remove the plastic ends :D

Izy
    I use the Dennyson Microtack, ultra small, doesn't leave any holes in quilt, pins come in different lengths I just layer up on the floor, put some large pins about every 12" just to hold it, then sit at the kitchen table, and roll the quilt up as I tack it, I sit on my sewing chair (Office) which is on wheels and just roll up and down. I place my left hand under the sandwich, spread my first and middle finger apart and push the needle down between, you soon become accustomed to it.

Heres a couple of pictures of the tacks, so you can see how small they really are :D

Main advantage is how FAST you can baste, I did a kingsize quilt in about and hour!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes, I forgot to say, I invested in the remover thingy as well!
    Worth it just for the fun of pinging them round the room!
    K x

Blog Entries
    I have two, the older, larger one, that I tend to just use for household mending projects now, and the newer, micro version that I use for quilts now as the tacks are both short and fine, as is the needle. I do use it with a fairly thick rug behind it and don't have any problems with that. I have the grid, but find it a nuisance having to move it behind the quilt. I have never used basting spray, as I haven't ever seen it for sale here in Ireland. :(

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast