Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need info for using a Basting Gun for Hand Quilting. >

Need info for using a Basting Gun for Hand Quilting.

Need info for using a Basting Gun for Hand Quilting.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 AM

Has anyone used the basting guns for hand quilting. I need to start using something different. Since I have fractured my leg I cannot hand baste anymore. I cannot stand or reach over very far for any length of time. I need something quicker. I did not know how limited I would be 1 Year after the surgery for a Plateau Tibia Fracture .

I understand using a basting gun it is a quick process and one step if you put it through the fabric like a straight pin. Any ideas as to what type to purchase and the results.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I have used a basting gun, but I would not recommend it if you want to hand quilt. Your quilting thread will catch on all the little ends sticking out.

Have you considered spray basting? This would be faster than using a basting gun. I have not tried to hand quilt with a spray basted sandwich, but I'm pretty sure I have seen posts from hand quilters who do this.

Addendum: Are you thinking of doing the gun basting from the backing side? I am thinking the tabs would not interfere so much with hand quilting if they are all on the back.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:37 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have just bought a Microtach basting gun and I hand quilt. I tried a friend's first on a lap quilt and it worked fine and am about to try on a queen size. Make sure you get one with the finest needle possible - the microtach is great and you have to put them in no further than 4" apart.

I didn't have any problems with snagging. I quilt in a floor standing round frame, I don't know if that makes a difference. I would also recommend getting the special little device for removing the tacks - it's great fun popping them out!

K x
Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 AM

Thanks, I have been looking at micro tek. I have been hand quilting for years so I think I could deal with avoiding getting the thread caught on the little tabs.

I have thought about spray basting but it worries me. I don't know what the results will be to the fabric years later and not sure the spray basting has been around long enought for us to find out.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I just edited my post - sorry, I had to go get the kids off the bus and felt it was a little abrupt! I tried spray basting once a few years ago on a bed quilt for my son, maybe it wasn't a good brand or I didn't put enough on, but it shifted all over the place! I am also a little worried about the chemicals in spray baste - maybe paranoia, but I wouldn't be happy using it on a bed quilt, especially for one of my kids. BTW I never gave him that quilt, no idea what happened to it, think it got lost in a move!

K x
Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

The gun is not all it's cracked up to be for basting a big quilt. I use it to hold my fabric pieces together for a block and to hold scraps together. I don't use it for basting. Have you seen this: http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ing/index.html

My guild uses this method and we all love it.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 AM

BellaBo, I cannot get the video. I even register for the newsletter. Not willing to pay for the subscription. Thanks anyway. I don't do too many really large quilts anymore. Usually lap, crib or wall hanging size.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Izy

I am an absolute fan of the Dennison Microtack, it is ultra small, and poses to problems whatsover, I sit at the table after layer up my quilt, I hold it with a few large straight pins, then slip my hand underneath the quilt and spread my first and middle finger apart and aim through the gap. I do it along the length and roll the quilt up as I go, so no reaching over any distance :D

Here's a picture of how small the tacks are :D

Attached Thumbnails attachment-27437.jpe   attachment-27438.jpe  
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Yup Izy - those look about the same size as mine. And they nestle way down in the fabric so really, NO snagging! I guess it just boils down to personal preference. Luckily a kind friend let me have a go with hers before I invested - she machine quilts so couldn't say how it would work for hand quilting. I used it on Lily's lap quilt that I made following Izy's d9p tute!

I know you can get a 'basting grate' but my friend and now I use your technique of the pinning first then spread fingers on the back. I really couldn't kneel on the floor anymore to baste with needle and thread - old age creeping up and I get 'house maid's knee'! LOL (actually it bloomin hurts!)

K x
Old 03-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Thank you, someone said to keep it from jamming push it through like you are pinning with a straight pin so both tabs are on front and it holds it together better. Has anyone tried using it that way. I think I will go ahead and order the Micro tack by Dennison. I also wonder if I can find it at staple or Office depot.