Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting gun- anyone tried one? >

Basting gun- anyone tried one?

Basting gun- anyone tried one?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:47 AM

I have one (also gadget queen) and used it but never liked the way the tacks got stuck in the gun. Had to unload and reload et. But hey now I'm going to use it to keep arm covers on the chair et to stay put. Thanks for the great idea to use something I stopped using!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Bought one, been there and now it's a garage sale item! The major problem was that it allowed too much shift when it came to hand or machine quilting. When I began quilting in the Dark Ages, needle & thread basting was how you did it. Then I switched to large safety pins (diaper pins - oh my gosh!). For the last many years I use real quilter safety pins and am very pleased.

As for quilters spray, fine for smaller projects but read the directions - Use only in well ventilated area. Like outdoors! Really stinks up inside! Plus be careful that any over spray doesn't land on your furniture or floor. Icky Sticky Stuff!

Good Luck! Sam

Old 05-14-2009, 03:28 PM

Because of my arthritis and very weak control in my hands , I have used the quilting gun since I began quilting (October 2005). The Dritz gun tends to break at the needle point and get jammed quite a lot. I have begun using the June Taylor gun which I like very much as I don't need to have a lot of strength to use it. However, I am having a very hard time trying to find the June Taylor tacks. I will in the future look at a gun that Avery Dennison has if I can find a local dealer for it.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by hostalover
Because of my arthritis and very weak control in my hands , I have used the quilting gun since I began quilting (October 2005). The Dritz gun tends to break at the needle point and get jammed quite a lot. I have begun using the June Taylor gun which I like very much as I don't need to have a lot of strength to use it. However, I am having a very hard time trying to find the June Taylor tacks. I will in the future look at a gun that Avery Dennison has if I can find a local dealer for it.
I haven't had a problem using another brand's tacks in the gun I bought, Didn't know you had to use a specific brand. Anyway, I don't use it on quilts anymore, because I use basting spray. I use it to hold groups o like-patches together and other things that have been mentioned above. It IS handy around the house! For a while, I had an annual Christmas sale, and I used it to attach prices to items just like the pros - - - it would work great for garage sales
Old 05-17-2009, 03:25 PM

I just bought one about a month ago and I have used it twice. I love it. It is so much easier than pinning.

bonnie
Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Bought one due to what people were saying here. Got the Dirtz. I used it last night and sewed the quilt today and LOVE it! I too have arthritis and this is a God send! Yes, I did have it jam. But the Pros out weigh the Cons for me :D
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM

If you have asthma like me you won't want to use the spray. I had an asthma attack from it. No Fun At All :mrgreen: