Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone use the Bernina Binding Attachment for bindings? >

Anyone use the Bernina Binding Attachment for bindings?

Anyone use the Bernina Binding Attachment for bindings?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by AChristina View Post
The one I looked at runs about $169 at my local Bernina dealer plus the presser foot you need runs about another $25. I'll do mine the old fashioned way, thank you.
Was that for all three sizes or each?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Isn't there a webnair on the binding tool? You might want to look on the Bernina site to see if they have anything on it.

Pat in MN
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by decky View Post
Isn't there a webnair on the binding tool? You might want to look on the Bernina site to see if they have anything on it.

Pat in MN
Yes, they don't show close ups that satisfy me. That's why I'm asking here.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 PM

There has been a discussion on another group about the binding att for machines. One of the problems listed is that it doesn't do a real double binding, if folds in both sides, but the edge part is not doubled. So the thinnest part of your binding is at the edge, don't know if this would be noted by a judge, but as a practical application it would make the edge wear out quicker. Not a big deal if your quilts on being used on the bed.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by OHSue View Post
There has been a discussion on another group about the binding att for machines. One of the problems listed is that it doesn't do a real double binding, if folds in both sides, but the edge part is not doubled. So the thinnest part of your binding is at the edge, don't know if this would be noted by a judge, but as a practical application it would make the edge wear out quicker. Not a big deal if your quilts on being used on the bed.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:53 PM

Don't spend $169 to get these binders in a Bernina box. The binders are available as industrial generics from EBay and are as cheap as $26 for a set of 3 sizes to $89 for a set. I don't own a Bernina but after studying the bed of the machines quickly determined that any metal bed machine with pre-drilled holes will work. I have old Singers (Featherweight, 301s and a Rocketeer) and decided to risk the $26. Thumbs screws to hold the binder to the machine bed were not included but I used a pair from my Singer parts collection. I used the regular sewing foot so it took a couple of tries to get the binder in the right spot as the special Bernina foot makes it idiot proof to line things up. There is certainly a learning curve and my mitered corners are not crisp.....let's face it, the corner is ugly! I took the binding off twice and decided to serge the quilt edges as there were lots of hanging threads from the multiple handlings. The end result is not show quality but does finish both sides quickly for a charity quilt.
The chicken side is the front and the sunflowers on the back.
Attached Thumbnails binder-sample.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 PM

I would worry about buying a generic one and it screwing up my very expensive Bernina 830E. The videos show the corners are no problem on the Bernina binder. But, again, the stitching on the back wasn't shown clearly. Thanks for your thoughts and experiences. A generic one may be a good candidate to try on one of my vintage machines though:>
Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 AM

I asked about them at my dealer and they said that they did't work all that well. It sure would save time though.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:29 AM

I have the Bernina binding attachment. I use it on things other than quilts, such as bibs, potholders etc. Like HSue said you only get a single fold.......and, although the Bernina demonstrator was a whiz at doing mitered corners, I find it quite difficult to get a really good looking corner so when I DO use it I use it on things with rounded corners so I don't have to deal with the miter.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 AM

Why don't you take a quilt sandwich or a charity quilt into your dealer have them show you the attachment and let you use it. that would be a good test as to whether or not it is worth it to you. I don't think that binding put on totally by machine would pass a quilt judge test - but that is just a guess