Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: anyone use a generic walking foot?

anyone use a generic walking foot?

Just curious....so they do as good a job as the "name brand"? I have a new machine, and the $180 walking foot is just not in the budget right now, but I am itching to do some quilting! :-) Or for smaller projects and straight line quilting, is a regular foot ok until I save my dollars for the real deal? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I don't have the generic; everything that I've heard about them isn't good. You'll end up spending more. I spent 130 for my Ruby at the LQS and then found out I could get it at Amazon for alot less. Of course the interchangeable one that Viking one has now is so worth it but still I would have loved saving the money. Check around you may be able to find it cheaper some place else. I learned my lesson. Like I want to get the endless hoop; my LQS it's 220 and on Amazon its 140 big difference. Congratulations on your new machine. I just got my Ruby in Oct. Still learning
    Judy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    well, you do NEED a walking foot! Even if you think you don't, you don't want to be knee deep into a project and realize, " I should have had"...trust me on that one!
    I would say $180 is pretty steep, so shop around...and if you need to use a generic for a while, that is ok too! I have used them on several different machines...In fact I am using one from Kenmore on my Elna right now! Works great!
    DO read about your machine though. You have to make sure that which ever generic you get, it is one that work on your machine as far as the feed dogs go! Some walking feet have teeth and some are smooth. A smooth bottomed one is generally for machines that the feed dogs go down, one with teeth is for the machines that just get the feed dogs covered. You need some traction! Happy quilting!

Blog Entries
    I have not had good luck using generic walking foot on my machine.
    They didn't last very long.
    The one I have now is a brand name and I've had it for longer than the combined time I had with the previous 2 generic ones.
    I think you should invest in a walking foot that is made for your machine.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

I can't compare the two because I've only used a generic, but it works great! I would say DON'T try to machine quilt with a regular foot if you have the option to get a walking foot. It will take your breath away, it makes such a difference.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

I have 2 generic walking feet and they work just fine. I can't remember where I got them and what manufacturer made them. I am sure they weren't very expensive since I'm kind of cheap and the fact that I have 2 of them. I have had them for a long time and they work just fine.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have not had good luck using generic walking foot on my machine.
    They didn't last very long.
    The one I have now is a brand name and I've had it for longer than the combined time I had with the previous 2 generic ones.
    I think you should invest in a walking foot that is made for your machine.
    Same here. The generic one I had never did work right, then fell apart. I decided to spend the extra $ and get the one for my machine. I could tell the difference from the first stitch with the new foot.

I can't say about the newer machines, since I don't own anything newer than 1957. However, I haven't had any problems with generic walking feet. Also, I use a short shank Singer walking foot on my Pfaff 130 with no problems.

We have walking feet on our machines at the guild charity quilt workshop. One thing that I have learned is that those walking feet with a plastic instead of metal part where the foot attaches to the sewing machine's shank will wear out, and that piece will eventually break off.

I agree with everyone that you definitely do want to use a walking foot for quilting. There is just no comparison in the ease of quilting and the quality of your product.

Dayle

Blog Entries
    There are different quality of generic walking foot. The one labeled Deluxe works great on my older machines. It cost more but not as much as the name brand. I found that Brother and Janome walking foot are interchangable and will fit most other machines too. Be sure and know if your machine is high or low shank.
    Got fabric?

I have had better luck with some of the generics than the name brand. the name brand made for my machine works, until the little plastic thing that goes around the needle screw breaks. some of the generics have that part made of metal.

I have bought several new machines over the past few years and they all came with a walking foot. I can't see any difference in them AT ALL. One of them has a slightly larger opening than the others but they all look the same.

Blog Entries
    Aside from different qualities of generic feet on the market, a lot depends on your particular machine. Generic walking feet are probably more likely to work well on vintage machines; may not work well at all on a newer, computerized, high-end machine with refined tolerances. If you post your particular machine, you may find someone who has used a specific generic with your machine successfully.

My new machine is a bernina 350pe. I have a Bernina 930, and the walking foot for that machine does not fit the new shanks....so I need a new one. Found one on e bay that is generic, and states it specifically fits the model I have....and its $65. I will look around for the namebrand, but I doubt I will find it any less expensive...thank you all!

The Bernina walking foot is incredible. I used the one for my 1031 for almost 20 years without any problem. Handles garment sewing and quilting both. I also have one for the 440 that has been no problem either. I know the Bernina feet are pricy, but they are really, really good. The all metal feet that are guaranteed to work on your machine are definitely worth more than generic ones that can be a lot of plastic.

Pam

I dug out my old machine, attached the walking foot, and it works so nicely!!! If only my machine would stop when I want it to! Its a bit of a pain in the neck, but for now, I will make this work, until I can purchase the Bernina foot. I believe when I complete 4 master classes that came with the machine, I can purchase one item 50% off,.....so I will try to be patient. Thanks to all for taking time to reply! :-)

I have used a generic on my 30 year old kenmore with fantastic results I don't think I paid more that 5-10 dollars !

Although it was very expensive, I bought a Bernina walking foot. In the long run, it has been worth every cent. Before I started quilting, it was invaluable for sewing velvets, matching plaids and stripes, etc. Now that I have started quilting, I'm constantly using the walking foot. I hope you can find a generic that works for you. You really need a walking foot.

I had one for my Brother---a generic that worked OK. The one that came with my Singer Confidence Quilter is identical to that generic and works just fine. I could not do without mine!!

Blog Entries
    i would suggest you (shop around) for that walking foot for your machine---the reason i say this is because when i first bought my (new machine) i took a class & needed a walking foot---called the dealer & they said-why of course---it's $89.95---i bought it
    about 2 months later i saw one at a shop (the real one for my machine) for $12.95!!!
    i would not use generic feet on my machine- repairs are much more costly than the tools made for it- but i do now always shop around- pretty much never buy anything i need from the dealer.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I had no problems with my generic walking foot.

I would say try one while you save up for the real thing