Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anyone use a generic walking foot? >

anyone use a generic walking foot?

anyone use a generic walking foot?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 AM

Default anyone use a generic walking foot?

Just curious....so they do as good a job as the "name brand"? I have a new machine, and the $180 walking foot is just not in the budget right now, but I am itching to do some quilting! :-) Or for smaller projects and straight line quilting, is a regular foot ok until I save my dollars for the real deal? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 AM

I don't have the generic; everything that I've heard about them isn't good. You'll end up spending more. I spent 130 for my Ruby at the LQS and then found out I could get it at Amazon for alot less. Of course the interchangeable one that Viking one has now is so worth it but still I would have loved saving the money. Check around you may be able to find it cheaper some place else. I learned my lesson. Like I want to get the endless hoop; my LQS it's 220 and on Amazon its 140 big difference. Congratulations on your new machine. I just got my Ruby in Oct. Still learning
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Banned

well, you do NEED a walking foot! Even if you think you don't, you don't want to be knee deep into a project and realize, " I should have had"...trust me on that one!
I would say $180 is pretty steep, so shop around...and if you need to use a generic for a while, that is ok too! I have used them on several different machines...In fact I am using one from Kenmore on my Elna right now! Works great!
DO read about your machine though. You have to make sure that which ever generic you get, it is one that work on your machine as far as the feed dogs go! Some walking feet have teeth and some are smooth. A smooth bottomed one is generally for machines that the feed dogs go down, one with teeth is for the machines that just get the feed dogs covered. You need some traction! Happy quilting!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 AM

I have not had good luck using generic walking foot on my machine.
They didn't last very long.
The one I have now is a brand name and I've had it for longer than the combined time I had with the previous 2 generic ones.
I think you should invest in a walking foot that is made for your machine.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 AM

I can't compare the two because I've only used a generic, but it works great! I would say DON'T try to machine quilt with a regular foot if you have the option to get a walking foot. It will take your breath away, it makes such a difference.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 AM

I have 2 generic walking feet and they work just fine. I can't remember where I got them and what manufacturer made them. I am sure they weren't very expensive since I'm kind of cheap and the fact that I have 2 of them. I have had them for a long time and they work just fine.
Sue
Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I have not had good luck using generic walking foot on my machine.
They didn't last very long.
The one I have now is a brand name and I've had it for longer than the combined time I had with the previous 2 generic ones.
I think you should invest in a walking foot that is made for your machine.
Same here. The generic one I had never did work right, then fell apart. I decided to spend the extra $ and get the one for my machine. I could tell the difference from the first stitch with the new foot.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 AM

I can't say about the newer machines, since I don't own anything newer than 1957. However, I haven't had any problems with generic walking feet. Also, I use a short shank Singer walking foot on my Pfaff 130 with no problems.

We have walking feet on our machines at the guild charity quilt workshop. One thing that I have learned is that those walking feet with a plastic instead of metal part where the foot attaches to the sewing machine's shank will wear out, and that piece will eventually break off.

I agree with everyone that you definitely do want to use a walking foot for quilting. There is just no comparison in the ease of quilting and the quality of your product.

Dayle
Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

There are different quality of generic walking foot. The one labeled Deluxe works great on my older machines. It cost more but not as much as the name brand. I found that Brother and Janome walking foot are interchangable and will fit most other machines too. Be sure and know if your machine is high or low shank.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I have had better luck with some of the generics than the name brand. the name brand made for my machine works, until the little plastic thing that goes around the needle screw breaks. some of the generics have that part made of metal.