Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Generic Foot pedal for Bernina Record 830 >

Generic Foot pedal for Bernina Record 830

Generic Foot pedal for Bernina Record 830

Old 07-30-2016, 05:50 AM

Default Generic Foot pedal for Bernina Record 830

I purchased a Bernina Record 830 for $125 and it sew beautifully. The only thing is it only goes at a very fast speed. I read in the manual about adjusting the pedal speed but turning the small screw on the back but that doesn't seem to work on this pedal. I am wondering if a generic pedal will work on a Bernina Record 830 machine. I have a spare foot pedal that came on a JC Penny machine is will be used for parts only.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I am not familiar with that Bernina but with my 1530, I never found anything generic that worked well with her. You might keep an eye out to see if any seller has a foot on sale on eBay.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:40 AM

I've had 3 Berninas and never found anything generic that works. I'd take it to a Bernina tech and let them adjust the speed for you or just not press down as hard on the pedal.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:50 AM

It may be best to take it in for a "look-see". Bernina foot pedals are pricing, which is not that surprising. Call ahead of time to see if a tech will be available so you do not have it leave the machine. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:32 AM

I have and love to sew on a 830R. Have you checked the max/min slider on the front of the machine? It does control the speed at which the machine sews. It is on the bottom front of the machine, could it have been moved from min to max inadvertently? I usually sew on the min setting as the max is way to fast for me. The foot pedal is the only part I have ever had to replace {twice}. If the pedal is not working right it will not let you control the speed with the slider. I had the part replaced by a dealer but my understanding is that Bernina no longer produces parts for the 830R as the factory had a flood. Could your dealer have replaced with a part that is in reality generic....just things to check out.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:36 AM

My son replaced a part on the inside of mine and I think he did not get it in properly. It was like a racehorse, so fast. Take it to the repairman at bernina. They are trained to repair this.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 AM

We had an older 830 record with a bad pedal. Put a brand new electronic type (generic type) on it and it worked fine. Took that off and put on an older Pfaff 130 resister type and it worked exactly the same.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:22 PM

DH is working on the 830 Record he got with a bad motor. He's messing with it and discovered the problem is a fried capacitor that sits right under the motor. He determined that it is there to provide constant power to the light (so it does not change with the speed) and also the speed control lever. So if you are having problems with uncontrolled speed, it could be that capacitor, and nothing to do with the foot pedal.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:25 PM

I had an old 830. One time, I heard this strange noise coming from my sewing room. I went in and found that the machine was racing on it's own without me being there.
I took it in to my dealer and he said there had been some problems with the original foot. He opened the foot up and showed me how he adjusted something in there. It was fine after that, but he did suggest I get a newer electronic foot pedal (a Bernina pedal). I did do that and it was expensive, but I never had a problem with either foot after that. Just recently, I took it to the dealer and tried to trade it in for some feet for my newer Bernina 440. But, the dealer said that there are so many old 830's coming in that he really had an oversupply of 830 parts and pressure feet. But, he did give me a good discount on the new pressure feet that I wanted. I'm thinking that you might check with some Bernina dealers to see if they have some extra 830 foot pedals around.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:18 AM

I had to buy a Bernina foot pedal last month and it was $70 with shipping. A genuine Bernina. A wonderful investment for my $10 flea market Bernina 1006 .