Something Came Over Me

Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 PM

Default Something Came Over Me

I was in Goodwill looking for a round table, but came out with a sewing machine.

It was above my head, a Kenmore 12 stitch. As I took it down to inspect it (nearly giving myself a hernia--that thing is a TANK of metal!) I saw the price tag.

$7.

What? I looked closer to make sure that was a dollar sign in front of the 7, and not a 2. I could've passed it up for 27 considering it weighs as much as my Golden Retriever.Quickly googled to see relative values on eBay, and they ranged from $40-100. I plugged it in, the light worked, the motor was humming nicely, so ....now he's mine. Yes. It's a he. I checked. He needs a good cleaning, but he's in good shape cosmetically. This makes him my second Kenmore. My first one is Kenny; this guy needs a name. All my machines' names (yes it's hokey) start with K.

Suggestions?
Old 08-04-2016, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I was in Goodwill looking for a round table, but came out with a sewing machine.

It was above my head, a Kenmore 12 stitch. As I took it down to inspect it (nearly giving myself a hernia--that thing is a TANK of metal!) I saw the price tag.

$7.

What? I looked closer to make sure that was a dollar sign in front of the 7, and not a 2. I could've passed it up for 27 considering it weighs as much as my Golden Retriever.Quickly googled to see relative values on eBay, and they ranged from $40-100. I plugged it in, the light worked, the motor was humming nicely, so ....now he's mine. Yes. It's a he. I checked. He needs a good cleaning, but he's in good shape cosmetically. This makes him my second Kenmore. My first one is Kenny; this guy needs a name. All my machines' names (yes it's hokey) start with K.

Suggestions?
How about Karl or Kevin or Kirk or Kip?
Old 08-04-2016, 06:46 PM

If he's was made in Japan, Kenji means second son.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Power Poster

Kenji Kenmore has that certain ring to it.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 AM

Funny post Zozee! and great score. I'm all for naming him Kenji too, it fits.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

I have a Kenmore 12 stitch and I love it. It is a great machine. You'll be glad you didn't pass it up. It is one of the few machines from the 80s worth having. I love having all the utility stitches. It is light weight.the bobbin area is easy to clean. Some of the time the stitch knob will get all gummy up under the hood and may take a bit of clean up where it moves. It is mechanically simple and easy to service. Congrats on your find.

One day my sister was over and a couple of my grand kids. We had a whole bunch of sewing machines to determine if they were going to be keepers or for parts. My sister and my DGD were working on a complex Brother and my grand son and I were working on a Kenmore. He started pitching a fit that they were working on a boy machine and he wasn't. I convinced him that the Kenmore was a boy machine... So how DO you tell the gender of a sewing machine anyway? I don't see boy parts or girl parts..... I guess if you have other Kenmore machines you have to tell them apart..
Old 08-08-2016, 04:25 PM

Kenji it is! Great name. (Hubby thought it was "Kenny G". I said no, "Kenji--means 'second son' in Japanese, and this is my second Kenmore.) Thanks for the name ,pennycandy. Love it.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:02 PM

You're welcome.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:42 AM

love the new name, how about a picture?