Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Joann's today for something I needed and came home with............

Trip to Joann's today for something I needed and came home with............

assorted fabrics to make the 42" round Christmas Tabletopper from a Fons & Porter book that I bought a few weeks ago. Used my 40% off one cut and 10% off all purchases so the total for 6 assorted 1/2 yds. and 1 3/4 yds. of another fabric was $23.00. The Christmas fabric was all marked 40% off.

Standing waiting at the cutting table and the woman in front of me started talking to me...she's a quilter. She was buying the cutest dog fabric to make a quilt for a vet technician. Anyway...she was telling me her sewing room is as disaster...I said mine is too. Then she told me never to go in my sewing room in my bare feet. (I knew this but listened to her story) She does all hand quilting and was telling me about the thin long needles. One day she couldn't understand why the bottom of her foot was killing her. Went to the doctor and they took and x-ray and found that the quilting needle was embedded in her foot. The doctor won't do surgery unless she is to the point of excruciating pain. He said that he would have to cut muscles and nerves which could be more of a problem than the needle. Then she said she has dropped her rotary cutter on top of her feet numerous times but never cuts bad enough that she needed stitches. I told her that I always wear shoes when I am sewing...once in a while flip flops but not when I am cutting fabric...just sewing. She was sure chatting away with me. Just goes to show that quilters/sewers ARE a friendly group.

Glad to hear you did good at JoAnn's. My son had a sore foot for days, could not stand it anymore took him ER and the xray showed a long needle in his heel! The doc just looked at me, thought I was going to get hit with child abuse. It's funny how we meet people.
    Donna

Banned
    Blog Entries
    YIKES.....people NEED to hear and HEED her stories...sewing barefoot is such a BAD idea on so many levels....
    Thanks for sharing on her behalf!

Wow What a story, Thanks for warning us. Great finds at JoAnn's.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Power Poster
    Wow, that is something. Hard to believe that needle could go in all the way. My husband has found pins and needles, and he's not very happy about it. lol

Boy is that the truth I had a needle go threw my toe years ago. I always wear shoes now!

And it also hazardous to do handwork in bed! Both to your body and your marriage - guess how I know - and I don't do it anymore. I still layout blocks on the bed, but no pins or needles.
    ~~ Butterflies can't see their wings.
    They can't see how truly beautiful they are,
    but everyone else can. People are kinda like that. ~~

How the heck do you do that and not know??? Oh my goodness. No barefoot except when foot is on pedal.

Sounds like it's a good thing that I don't go barefooted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek View Post
    How the heck do you do that and not know??? Oh my goodness. No barefoot except when foot is on pedal.
    That's what I do! I've dropped my rotary cutter before and thankfully it was closed!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Whew! Who'd-a-thought-it? Lesson learned!

It is really easy to drop needles and not realize it or not be able to find it after you drop it and know it. I've found needles sticking out of the carpet myself thankfully not with my bare feet. It's especially important for diabetics not to go barefoot because they don't always have good circulation in the feet. Sue

Since I got those crocs (although the DDs find them hideous) I justslip them on when I go into the work room. The problem is the carpet around my chair in the TV room where other feet seem to pick up my dropped needles. Now I count how many I'm using and warn the family when the number of needles in the pincushion decreases. You should see the scrambe to find them! I like to thread 5 or 6needles at a time so that I can work uninterruptedly for longer. It also gives one an indication to get up and stretch those legs once needle number six has been used.

Yikes thats painful.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Like Grandma Peg, my DH usually finds my dropped pins and needles. It is inevitable that if there is a needle or pin on the floor, he will step on it. It doesn't make him very happy. You'd think he would at least wear his slippers. I always wear my slippers--with solid soles--since I am always dropping pins and not so much needles.
    Sue

I've never thought of any of this! I suppose I live barefoot in my house, but I suppose I'll have to at least wear something with a sole in my sewing room.

Thank you all for sharing and possibly saving me from injury!!!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

When we had our carpets professionally steam cleaned, the cleaning guy told me that walking barefoot on carpet is worse than wearing shoes because of the body oils. He said dirt and dust can be easily vacuumed, but oil gets imbedded into the carpet. We don't walk barefoot in the house any more!

Ouchie mama's...

Blog Entries
    OUCH! I sew barefooted a lot but I do use a magnet to collect fallen pins everytime I quit sewing! My mom gave me one that looks like a pen and it telescopes...I love that thing. I also count my needles..guess you can tell I am a type A.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Once my mom was hand sewing at the diningroom table and she jumped up real fast to check the stove and she put her hand on her pin cushion-she got a needle in the palm of her hand . She went and got the pliers and pulled it out!!! OUCH!!
    mamapeggy11

Blog Entries
    Don't EVER get down on your hands and knees to look for something on your sewing room floor. You probably won't feel that needle or pin slipping into your knee but when you stand up you will break off that needle in your knee joint.

Me too - shoes in the sewing room. Twice in 2 days I have dropped my rotary cutter, it bounced and nicked the same finger both times! Lesson learned to be more cautious when using it.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Smile

wow! what a story glad you had good deals at Joann's ~they NEVER let me use any coupons when stuff is on sale
    unless your one cut was regular price! I love getting good deals on fabric
    I Love ALL kinds of CrAfTs

I'm sitting her dying of laughter, because I can so relate!! I always wear my shoes in the house, because I need my shoe inserts. But I always wore them sewing anyway. And why is it I can look and look for lost pins and needles and not find them, but everyone else finds them?
    Mary

I had a needle in my knee one time and did not know it for a few days. Then it got really sore and swollen. It was in the rug when I sat on the floor. Surgery to remove but no major damage. I am more careful now. Wave that metal wand around before I leave the sewing room.

Great find at JoAnn's.
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast