Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone Working on the Color Wash Quilt? >

Anyone Working on the Color Wash Quilt?

Anyone Working on the Color Wash Quilt?

Old 04-17-2023, 08:33 AM

no reason why you couldn't, that is how variations get born. The center of the red/black/white one above gives an example of neutrals.I saw one yesterday in oranges.
I don't press until the block is made but if my scraps were Really wrinkly, I probably would, just me. After a quilter's lifetime of precision piecing I am loving the improv of whack and sew.

I cleaned 3 layers of quilts off my working wall this morning, and while I have a brief space I grabbed a pile of blues to see how I was coming along. This is just a fast placement, I have tons more blues, but I'm liking it!
Attached Thumbnails wash.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 04-17-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:34 AM

Kalama: your start is lovely! Like you, I waited to press until the block was made. I am trimming right after pressing. These are so great.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I recently discovered her and absolutely love her creations! I'm going to start one.
Kalama- yours is lovely!
Old 04-18-2023, 02:24 AM

Generally, I used prints for the outer pieces and solid-ish for contrasting center. I trimmed a few, but found it better to trim later. I have been invited to a group sewing day at the Guild that I just joined! Saved trimming for that event. Notice the block on the design wall to the far right. I had to add another piece to make it big enough to trim! Shouldn't matter!
Attached Thumbnails two.jpg   one.jpg  

Last edited by aashley333; 04-18-2023 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:16 AM

aashley -- these are beautiful! Have fun at the group sewing. Save your trim scraps to make crumb houses or a crumb quilt of some type in case you need yet another project to work on...
Old 04-19-2023, 09:10 AM

Hi all, this remains my fave scrapbuster approach. I tried so many and most were fussy and a lot of dreary work.

Terry's method is easy, no measuring necessary, can do it on a lap desk while I watch tv.

Thanks Terry!!

BTW her other videos are really helpful too. I made her binding board for my sister for her birthday!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fhmMH2pBUM
Old 04-20-2023, 06:04 AM

ashley, I lust for your scraps, too fun
Old 04-21-2023, 10:33 AM

Very enjoyable. I’m kitting up a bunch of blocks, then chain piecing 4 to 6 at a time. Then pressing after each block is finished (or I think it’s finished— some have needed that added strip to get to size), then trimming. I’ve gone through my totally unorganized scraps and some others. Of course, no apparent dent has yet been made in my scrap bins.
Attached Thumbnails img_0659.jpeg  
Old 04-22-2023, 04:47 AM

oOoooo pretty! I set my basket of kitted up stacks on the floor yesterday and my jack russell grabbed a big mouthful and took off knocking over the basket. So I'll kit my kits as I sew along.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
One question. Are any of you making “white” blocks or just “colors”? I have a lot of “white” left over from Chilhowie and others. My initial thought is to just go with “colors” on this one and then maybe make something “low volume” with all those “whites” on the next one. Thoughts?
oh no! I never use whites to use them up! Especially if you are planning on doing anymore of the Bonnie's quilts! Those "whites" are just too precious! LOL