Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Apple Core Quilts

Apple Core Quilts

I'm wanting to dwindle down some of my 10 inch squares and have thought about an apple core quilt. But I've never worked with curves before. It seems that doing a lot of pinning is what is successful in getting the curves right. Who has made one of these quilts before and did you enjoy the process? Any tips to pass on?

Blog Entries
    Jenny at the MQSC did a tutorial on making the Apple core with 10" squares . She even designed a ruler that big for it too. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GiUnxkDikLg . I have never made one yet, but its on my bucket list, especially with that cool ruler!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    I'm wanting to dwindle down some of my 10 inch squares and have thought about an apple core quilt. But I've never worked with curves before. It seems that doing a lot of pinning is what is successful in getting the curves right. Who has made one of these quilts before and did you enjoy the process? Any tips to pass on?
    Agree! patience and pinning is your key to success.

While I have not made a quilt, I have made a large apple core runner of smaller cores.
    As I worked along, I folded the edges, to find the centre and 1/4 point.
    Then matched them to the next ....... pinned and sewed.

The first few were a bit clumsy and awkward and soon enough, I found my groove,
    and it was smooth after that!!!

I quite enjoyed it and would not hesitate doing another apple core project ..... sometime!

Good Luck with yours ... and remember, patience and pinning!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I bought a "curve master" gadget just for the purpose of making an Apple Core quilt....alas it is still in it's plastic container, maybe someday.

I found a Shar Jorgenson template/directions for Apple Core at the Goodwill about a month ago. Bought the template to use in the "someday" future, most likely with my homespun plaids.

I haven't done one before but I have done several drunkard's path variations as well as fan quilts. Similar to what QuiltE said, for me it works best to finger press the center line and then sew/pin out from it, depending on the size that might mean I actually sew it from the center twice (once in each direction), other times I do it in a single curve.

Here's the link to the template -- it includes a how to video on Shar's method (which apparently uses a glue stick instead of pins!):
    https://qheartland.com/collections/t...e-template-set
    Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-13-2018 at 08:29 AM.

I made one about 5 years ago. The larger the core is, the easier it is to piece the curves. My pattern was from a magazine and I just traced out the template on freezer paper. Name:  Apple Core finished March 2013001 (Small).JPG
Views: 1409
Size:  85.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    I made one about 5 years ago. The larger the core is, the easier it is to piece the curves. My pattern was from a magazine and I just traced out the template on freezer paper.
    Great quilt TBug ... much like mine, complete with the binding.

*hint* Unlike TBug, freezer paper and me just don't get along!
    Instead, I had my glass shop guy cut the templates for me from plexiglass.
    Then stacked layers of fabric, and used a small rotary cutter to zip around the template.
    In no time, I had my apple cores cut and waiting for me!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I started an apple core years ago and found sewing the shapes together was easy. Someone told me the best way was to put the convex shape on top, which worked quite well.

However, sewing the rows together was a pain with this method, because every other block in a row of blocks is convex, and it's not very practical to sew a block, then pull it off the sewing machine, flip it around, then sew the next block, pull it off the sewing machine, flip it around, and so on. So in frustration, I wadded it up, threw it in a corner, and pouted.

Does Jenny's video address the assembly issue at all? My work computer doesn't have speakers.

Maybe I should dig that project out after all, it might make a great hand-piecing project to watch during football games.

Nightmare, never so pleased to see the end of something ever. Much bad language spoken.
    Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  114.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    Nightmare, never so pleased to see the end of something ever. Much bad language spoken.
    Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  114.1 KB
    But it turned out beautifully! But I can only imagine that it is indeed vexing and as much a I like the pattern, I value my sanity more! Kudos to you for finishing it.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    ha, ha. i have some of those cut out of ten inch squares. one day i will have to sew them together. i sewed the tumbler blocks up but they are still not a complete quilt top. Look up drunkard's path tutes on sewing curves. that should help too.

charley26, You said it all in such few words. Good job.

thimblebug6000....what a beautiful table mat...hope mine will turn out as pretty as yours!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
    I bought a "curve master" gadget just for the purpose of making an Apple Core quilt....alas it is still in it's plastic container, maybe someday.
    Check YouTube tutorials on the "curve master." I was doing a double wedding ring and pinning was taking forever. Someone on here suggested the curve master. A bit spendy, but wow! It cut down on pinning and got the job done. It does take a wee bit of practice, but the results were good.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Coopah, I guess i need to take it out of the plastic and start one. I have a lot of thimbleberries fabric that I have been saving for a scrappy apple core.

Blog Entries
    You want to hear something funny? I bought a CurveMaster foot years ago at a show, watched the quilter who invented it demonstrate how to use it over and over and over and over. Went home and watched the videos over and over and over and over. Could not master it, tossed it in a drawer and forgot about it. Fast forward several years, I was sewing some curves and suddenly realized I was (successfully!) using the technique she had demonstrated with my regular, standard, came-with-the-machine quarter-inch foot!

Gay
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Peckish
    However, sewing the rows together was a pain with this method, because every other block in a row of blocks is convex, and it's not very practical to sew a block, then pull it off the sewing machine, flip it around, then sew the next block, pull it off the sewing machine, flip it around, and so on. So in frustration, I wadded it up, threw it in a corner, and pouted.

Does Jenny's video address the assembly issue at all? My work computer doesn't have speakers.

Jenny did not say much about joining the strips, but I was wondering if you would be able to sew every alternate piece, then flip over and sew the missed ones. I recently 'almost' finished a hexagon quilt, and found if I only stitched to the 1/4" seam allowance it was simple to join those pieces.

Ladies...I ended up ordering the book/template from Shar Jorgenson as in the provided link above. It should arrive sometime this coming week. Then I went to a quilt shop to drop off my Project Linus Quilts (and shop of course) and low and behold they were selling various templates/rulers from Missouri Star Quilt Co., including the applecore. I had no idea that other quilt shops carried Jenny's templates. Does your shop do this too?

I made three apple core quilts and gave two of them to my daughters. I sewed them by hand during my lunch break and also taught some of my co-workers how to make them. I made them into blocks and sewed the blocks together, thereby reducing all the long rows. I loved making them.
    GeeGee

This is my apple core quilt. Cut with AccuQuilt. Wouldn't even think about it without the cutter. It isn't perfect. Tried stitching them every way recommended and never could decide if one worked better, but the end result was "acceptable" No advice from me though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    "It isn't perfect" but it is done! perfect enough for my world. love the borders too!!

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    thimblebug6000....what a beautiful table mat...hope mine will turn out as pretty as yours!
    You must have a bigger table than me.... This one is 50"x 60"