Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you quilt your quilt?

How do you quilt your quilt?

I really enjoyed the thread on 'how important is the quilting to you'? I thought it would be interesting to see How people quilt their quilts.

I have tried FMQ, but found it too stressful for me to get the quality results I want, and quilting should be fun, not stressful. I have done SITD minimal quilting, mostly for wall hangings or lap quilts. I don't feel my quilts are of high enough quality yet to warrant sending to a LA'er to quilt. I would be interested in doing LA quilting with robotics, but at this point it is not in my price range. I have a walking foot, so I plan to try some straight line quilting in the future.

I have found a method that works for me. I have a Husqvarna Viking Topaz 20 with embroidery capabilities. I use this method to quilt my quilt tops. I have quilted up to a queen size quilt on my machine. The limitations are that there are not a lot of patterns available, and in limited sizes. I don't have the fancy embroidery software that allows me to resize the patterns, so sometimes having the right pattern in the right size is a problem. I also am limited in that the largest size I can quilt is 8 inches. Hooping the quilt sandwich and getting the alignment correct is probably the biggest challenge. Some of the patterns if lined up well mimic the E2E designs or pantographs.
    As with all methods, this takes a lot of time, patience and practice to do it well.

Given the limitations, I still enjoy selecting the quilting pattern or patterns to use on the quilt. The current quilt I am working on will be a combination of hooping quilt patterns, SITD, and perhaps a small amount of FMQ (wavy line only!) on a small border.

How do you quilt? For those of you who use their embroidery machine to quilt, I would love to hear your methods, process, and where you purchase you patterns.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-13-2018 at 09:30 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Power Poster
    If using your embroidery designs for quilting is working for you then do that. I don’t have the embroidery capability for my Bernina. I use a variety of quilting methods. I do some SITD, serpentine stitching, walking foot, FMQ and ruler work with my ruler foot. I decide what method I think will look best with each new quilt.

Blog Entries
    the quilt on my machine right now has been done to this point with a combination of meander-ish stippling FMQ, some stipple-ish meandering FMQ, and some straight-line with walking foot. i am using my embroidery function to do the borders.

i get nearly all of my embroidery patterns from the embroidery library ( http://emblibrary.com/ )
    the best selection i have found so far of single-run quilting motifs at reasonable prices.
    i do have some double-run motifs but i get a lot more pin-dots on the back with those so i only use them if i can't find a suitable single-run.
    most of their patterns would fit your hoops.

you might also want to check out Amelie Scott Designs.
    she offers several collections of edge-to-edge quilting patterns.
    i think i have the whole collection of collections.
    reasonably priced given the number of patterns in each collection and all the size options.

i treated myself to a magnetic hoop.
    very spendy, indeed, but - to me - worth every penny.
    it is soooooo much easier to load the quilt sandwich.
    also easier to get the sandwich taut without stretching it all out of shape.

the largest i've done using embroidery is a queen size.
    not easy, but do-able.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: [email protected]

I started as strictly a hand quilter, which I still love, but I'm doing more FMQ these days. I'm not that good yet but I see progress. I find that it's fun. I don't like SITD quilting though.
    Glad you found what you enjoy! That's what it's all about

Great question! I don't like or enjoy the process of moving a quilt through my machine even though they have wide throat spaces.

I am trying some E2E and just bought the magnet hoop for them.

Last time, I cheated and traced some meander patterns on wash away topping. Placed it on the quilt project (20x20 pillow) and used the WF to quilt. It came out and the job was done.

Large quilts are sent out. It would take me days...days that I won't get back. Quite worth it to me to send them out to the quilter for $50-$70. Just my opinion. LOL!

That's a really good question! I'm still learning FMQ and don't feel I'm anywhere near good enough to tackle a whole quilt yet. So far I've done some place mats and table runners.

I do a lot of SITD and straight line walking foot quilting. I also have the Husqvarna Viking Topaz 20 and use the embroidery module to quilt my quilts. I usually use single run designs from Embroidery Library, although I have recently purchased a few double run ones as well.

I usually start block quilts with SID, then finish with FM. Art quilts are usually FM. Also have a LA and do e2e.

I mainly FMQ and do some ruler work on my quilts. I’ve done a little with my walking foot, but mostly I’m a lot more comfortable FMQ doodling my way around a quilt than using the walking foot.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

From the 14 quilts I've done so far, 9˝ were done by hand and 4˝ by machine. There's been a little FMQ, but I haven't yet really gotten the hang on it. Lately I was mainly doing walking foot quilting. And I know got a ruler foot, but haven't yet tried it out! Maybe that's going to be how I do my next quilt...

For me, it depends on the quilt. Sometimes, the quilt seems to need an over-all, edge-to-edge quilting design, so I "quilt by check," with a member of our guild who does a great job with the long arm. Other times, I quilt myself, in sections or quilt-as-you-go. Then I mix walking foot and FMQ. Other times, I quilt the whole piece, either with my walking foot or FMQ. I find FMQ a bit stressful - I can't always get the tension right - so I am exploring walking foot quilting more these days. The effect can be stunning, especially on smaller pieces like this "convergence" quilt.Name:  tulip convergence.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  133.8 KB

On my longarm. I totally suck at FMQ on a domestic including with a Bernina BSR. I FMQ on my longarm instead and moving the machine versus moving the quilt works very well for me.

Tamaratjo: in regards to **Hooping the quilt sandwich and getting the alignment correct is probably the biggest challenge.***.
    Look into a — Master Hooper —. It is designed to hold your hoops so you can get everything aligned. It’s a little spendy but would be an incredible time saver.

Quilting is my favorite part. I have some standard swirls and echoing as well as my favorite, wood grain. Lately I've been trying to use rulers. That still needs a lot of practice because I'm not loving it yet.
    Lori

I usually start with some sitd, then add some either meandering or some simple patterns in the blocks. I just have a domestic machine, nothing fancy, but I have done several queen & kings by combining different techniques. Next plan is to buy the rulers. I could do so many other designs with them.
    An old saying that nothing is perfect in God's World justifies any mistake I make in my quilts, some on purpose and some by accident..

Blog Entries
    Anything larger than crib or lap size goes to the LAer. By that time I'm ready to move on. Since large projects don't get finished quickly, I can budget for the LA service. I figure it saves me visits for chiropractor or massage. Just me, not everyone's cuppa.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I do a lot of stitch in the ditch and FMQ using stencils. I'm not good at FMQ patterns that I can't actually "see" on the quilt as I'm quilting. Even meandering/stippling is hard for me. I've purchased a ruler for ruler work but haven't used it enough to get comfortable with it yet. I will master it someday. I've never sent a quilt out to be quilted by someone else.

I do SITD to secure the quilt sandwich, then do FMQ of loops, feathers, and wavy lines. I also like to use a programed serpentine stitch on the borders and the parts of the quilt if possible. Lots to learn and improve, but my quilts go to family so no judgement from them. They always seem thrilled.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A -- Janome 6600P and Janome embroidery 350 machine.
    Colleen S.

Oh my goodness Rhonda where can you get a 'large' quilt, LA quilted for $50-70$$$$. That is a GREAT deal, here in Texas they run 1.5 -2 cents per inch. This is for E2E. Custom quilting is 5cents an inch. This is pretty standard around here.
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

I mostly do modern baby quilts, and do a straight stitch on the diagonal for some, or a tradition x patern on my patchwork/6” bock quilts. I have a large ombré stripe quilt kit waiting on my shelf and that will definitely be sent to the LA (which is definitely not the $50 steal of a deal mentioned above! Jealous)

I want to second what Patrice said about Embroidery Library. I've been very happy with their quilt designs, and there's quite a variety in several sizes. Also, unlike some sites, this one tells you whether or not it is single run and the number of stitches before you buy. I'm always surprised to find on other sites designs that would be beautiful, but who wants to change bobbins in nearly every 8-inch square? Have the digitizers ever quilted anything bigger than a mug rug? I will say that those bean stitch designs are great for something like a bag, where you'll only use one or a few and the extra stiffness is a plus rather than a minus.

Another good source of quilting designs is Kreative Kiwi. I recently bought a set of interesting abstract designs that come in several sizes and both single and bean stitch. I have her Quilt Swirls 2 and have used a number of those designs, which are double run and include several sizes. That site generally sells only sets rather than individual designs, but they're very reasonably priced.

A magnetic frame is going on my Christmas list this year! The only thing that puzzles me about them is the use of such strong magnets near circuit boards. I assume they've been around long enough than if they were problematic we'd know by now.
    Don't squander your energies on anything you are lukewarm about. ~Jean Ray Laury in Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, Oct. 1993

“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.

My first quilt (in April) was a medium sized in dog print fabric. No one told me FMQ was supposed to be hard so it is quilted with paw prints and I also SITD to secure first. Just picked up a long arm yesterday because I love FMQ but it is a lot harder on large quilts in a standard sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    I've done all the quilting on my quilts on my regular sewing machine. I started out doing stippling and have progressed to doing some patterns. I've invested so much money in fabric, patterns, books, and tools I can't justify paying someone else to quilt them. Also, I have always been too insecure about my stitching to have anyone else see my work. After 20 years of quilting, it's my least favorite part of the process. Trying to maneuver the weight of a large quilt is very exhausting. The last one I quilted was the 2016 Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt.
    Name:  IMG_20180327_185026768.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  386.8 KBName:  IMG_20180327_115222467.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  342.3 KBName:  IMG_20180327_115343294.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  266.7 KBName:  IMG_20180327_115201874.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  331.3 KB

Leslie
    Last edited by audsgirl; 09-15-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: clarification

that's beautiful Leslie~
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    I do a little bit of everything. however i am feeling at the time. my most recent DJ i machine stitched all the sashings, and scallops, (like the ladies on here did in the dear jane blog years ago) but 'I' was the orginal , 'put the finished quilt in a hand quilting frame) and do all the little blocks. i free motion some, several easy patterns, or stitch in the ditch some. But my most favorite of all time is just taking it to a lady who does lots of different panagrams on a queen for $50. she does all the work of sandwiching it on her LA, and i just trim and put the binding on.

Blog Entries
    Audsgirl, I absolutly love that quilt. OMG, it is so stunning. what was the name of that quilt? i did one of hers, and took me a couple years to get it done, but yours is 'over the top'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast