Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliqué - had turn or fusible web >

Appliqué - had turn or fusible web

Appliqué - had turn or fusible web

Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 PM

I use the spray starch method too. Not that I've done alot of it. I just think the fusible is more for wall hangings, or am I wrong? I can't see sleeping under a quilt with a bunch of fusible on it.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carrieg
I use the spray starch method too. Not that I've done alot of it. I just think the fusible is more for wall hangings, or am I wrong? I can't see sleeping under a quilt with a bunch of fusible on it.
Why not? Steam-a-seam and steam-a-seam lite are not heavy. Also, when I deal with large pieces, I cut out the centers and only fuse the edges.

Some people think that using fusible is sufficient and do not add any edge-stitching to secure the pieces. I don't trust the fusible that much plus I like the look of the edge stitches.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
While I agree that needle turn applique is worth learning, there is no reason why you can't use fusible web. It's faster, and if it makes it easier for you to do the blocks, I'd go ahead and do it. Small pieces would be frustrating for a new hand appliquer, too.
Exactly what I was going to say. I know how to do both, and OMG, the fusible is sooooooooooo much faster. And I would suggest starting with a bigger project (as mentioned) and something you'll keep for practice since my first applique projects weren't great. I overturned, so I got some weird concave curves.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by carrieg
Why not? Steam-a-seam and steam-a-seam lite are not heavy. Also, when I deal with large pieces, I cut out the centers and only fuse the edges.

Some people think that using fusible is sufficient and do not add any edge-stitching to secure the pieces. I don't trust the fusible that much plus I like the look of the edge stitches.
I am working on a quilt with 10 different blocks with fusible on it (Steam a Seam 2). I'm stitching around the edges so it's fully washable and usable (since I would be concerned otherwise), but I make all of my quilts to go through the washer and dryer and be loved