Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliqué - had turn or fusible web >

Appliqué - had turn or fusible web

Appliqué - had turn or fusible web

Old 07-08-2011, 03:36 AM

I am participating in a block of the month that has is mostly appliqué work. When I got the directions for the patterns they were for hand turn appliqué. I have never done hand turn appliqué and these blocks have a lot of little pieces. I like the look of hand turn appliqué but I am very intimidated by it. Am I being a wimp if I just do it with the fusible webbing, or should I just put on my big girl pants and deal with it? Is there a big difference to the look of the two different techniques ? Last of all, should I do the other method (I don't know the name of it) where you sew the material to some interfacing and turn it inside out and then cut it out and iron to the piece? Thanks for any input.
For some reason, some appliqué work makes me so nervous!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 AM

I think it is worth learning needle turn. I recently did by watching YouTube Videos. The end result looks better. I had troubles with interfacing showing when I used the other method. Needle turn was easy fast.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 AM

While I agree that needle turn applique is worth learning, there is no reason why you can't use fusible web. It's faster, and if it makes it easier for you to do the blocks, I'd go ahead and do it. I've never used fusible myself, so someone else will have to give you advice on how to do it.

Small pieces would be frustrating for a new hand appliquer, too.

Janet
Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 AM
dd

I press mine with the iron to turn them first. I copy my pattern pieces to index paper to use as my pattern and press up around the pattern piece then remove the pattern piece. I still have to clip the curves when pressing and tuck in the edges sometimes when I actually sew it. It has been working for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Are the blocks just for yourself or will they be part of an exchange? If you have to exchange with someone, you will have to put on your "big girl" panties. If not, do what you want. I like the look of hand needle turned applique but don't do patterns with a million little pointed pieces. I have trouble with my points looking good. I also find that I clutch my fabric square/applique too tightly and my hand ends up stiff. I use the Wonder Under fusible to do most of my applique. On the big pieces I do the window frame method. I have heard good things about Misty Fuse for fusible applique.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 AM

For the most part I don't care much for needle turn or edge turned under applique. I do tons of fusible web applique. You can do a raw edge technique where you just sew with invisible thread right along the edge or you can do a variety of different edge finishing techniques, satin stitch, tiny zig zag, blanket stitch, or fancy stitching. With just the blanket stitch alone you can make it tiny and elegant or big and bold with a more folk arty look.

Applique is totally up to the individual. No one way is the right or wrong way.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by dd
I press mine with the iron to turn them first. I copy my pattern pieces to index paper to use as my pattern and press up around the pattern piece then remove the pattern piece. I still have to clip the curves when pressing and tuck in the edges sometimes when I actually sew it. It has been working for me.
I do mine very similar. I use freezer paper for the pattern. Sometimes 2-3 layers. I also spray starch when ironing the edges down, then remove the paper.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Unless the pattern is full of little spikes, I would go with the hand applique. It does look much nicer (IMHO) than machine-stitched raw edge applique, and once you've learned that skill it will no longer intimidate you. There are lots of ways to do it, and you can try several and see which is best for you. One of my friends uses a TON of glue, and her hand applique is beautiful. Another uses hardly any glue but gets the same results. Others use freezer paper on the outside of the pieces, others use it on the inside. Experiment and see what you enjoy.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

A lot of little pieces will be no fun trying to do the edge-stitching on either.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

if you don't really enjoy hand applique- or would rather try that out on something different (some day) there is no reason why you shouldn't do it with fusable- we are all different and we all enjoy different aspects of our hobbies-it's your project do it your way and to the best of your ability- hopefully refining your skills as you go along