Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliqué question >

Appliqué question

Appliqué question

Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 AM

Thanks for so many quick replies. I do have Heat n Bond Lite; I tried to buy the Steam a Seam 2 but the store was out. Since all of my scraps are not already washed, I think I will gamble and skip that step; I am worried about all the threads on the jillion little pieces! I don't plan to wash it when I complete it so I guess that will be fine. I am planning to sew around the pieces when completed.

Wish me luck! When I opened the pattern and saw all of the pieces I had severe second thoughts!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 AM

Another thought......Jenny at MSQC suggests using transparent thread with applique. Thoughts? Also what stitch should I use since there are so many itsy bitsy pieces?????
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 AM

I never wash my fabric (but I used to), especially for a wall hanging that won't get many washings, if any. The colors always fade and I like the bright crisp color of the fabric before washing. I always iron with Mary Ellen's Spray vigilantly, even before cutting. It gives the fabric a little stiffness and it is easily to handle, especially with small pieces. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
Thanks for so many quick replies. I do have Heat n Bond Lite; I tried to buy the Steam a Seam 2 but the store was out. Since all of my scraps are not already washed, I think I will gamble and skip that step; I am worried about all the threads on the jillion little pieces! I don't plan to wash it when I complete it so I guess that will be fine. I am planning to sew around the pieces when completed.

Wish me luck! When I opened the pattern and saw all of the pieces I had severe second thoughts!!!
FYI Steam a Seamsss is temporarily out of production. I called the copany and they said the company that made their paper closed down. they have found a new supplier and should be back and running in a couple of months.