Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Appliqué question

Appliqué question

I am about to make the Quilt Diva wall hanging. How important is it to wash my fabrics first? http://www.amybradleydesigns.com/abd170.html. Here is the link to the picture. There are tons of tiny pieces and I'd rather not wash if I will still get good results. I am using Heat n Bond for the fusible. The directions say to wash first but.....
    Sew much to do in sew little time!

Wash first, than starch and press. I would use Heat and Bond lite mysef. just my thoughts.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    Very important with so many colours. I made a quilt for a friend and washed it at end. I thought I had washed all the fabrics the green ran.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I agree, but only if you want to stitch the pieces down. If you don't want to stitch you can use the Ultra!!!I am referring to what weight Heat N Bond.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    Wash first, than starch and press. I would use Heat and Bond lite mysef. just my thoughts.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Wash, starch and press..then my fav is Steam n Seam 2
    Heidi
    Life is like a tornado watch. You can hunker down in the cellar or stand on the roof and let the wind give you rock star hair!

Hmmm...for a wall hanging (and since you said there are lots of small pieces) I would be very inclined to skip the prewash step. I have made several wall hangings and have never prewashed. I've never had any problems.

Blog Entries
    I made this wallhanging. didnt pre wash and its fine. Stitched down so no problem with lifting.

Blog Entries
    I've found several times when I am using a fusible that if I don't wash my fabrics first, the fusible doesn't like to stick. I think it is because of the chemicals in the manufacture of the fabric. I've used every form of fusible so I don't know if one worked better than the other. I bought that kit last year while on vacation. Maybe some day it will see the light of day!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I made one of her quilts "dazzling dogs" with a zillion pieces. Mostly used scraps and didn't prewash. Good luck. Have fun with it
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

A friend "gifted"me her pattern pack that one of her daughter's had given her.... I will be using washed fabrics as I don't keep any fabric in the house without washing it. My one dilemma about this wallhanging is it's size. Not alot of hanging space left for it in the sewing room & not sure I want it out in the "regular" part of the house

Thanks for so many quick replies. I do have Heat n Bond Lite; I tried to buy the Steam a Seam 2 but the store was out. Since all of my scraps are not already washed, I think I will gamble and skip that step; I am worried about all the threads on the jillion little pieces! I don't plan to wash it when I complete it so I guess that will be fine. I am planning to sew around the pieces when completed.

Wish me luck! When I opened the pattern and saw all of the pieces I had severe second thoughts!!!

Another thought......Jenny at MSQC suggests using transparent thread with applique. Thoughts? Also what stitch should I use since there are so many itsy bitsy pieces?????

I never wash my fabric (but I used to), especially for a wall hanging that won't get many washings, if any. The colors always fade and I like the bright crisp color of the fabric before washing. I always iron with Mary Ellen's Spray vigilantly, even before cutting. It gives the fabric a little stiffness and it is easily to handle, especially with small pieces. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
    Thanks for so many quick replies. I do have Heat n Bond Lite; I tried to buy the Steam a Seam 2 but the store was out. Since all of my scraps are not already washed, I think I will gamble and skip that step; I am worried about all the threads on the jillion little pieces! I don't plan to wash it when I complete it so I guess that will be fine. I am planning to sew around the pieces when completed.

Wish me luck! When I opened the pattern and saw all of the pieces I had severe second thoughts!!!
    FYI Steam a Seamsss is temporarily out of production. I called the copany and they said the company that made their paper closed down. they have found a new supplier and should be back and running in a couple of months.