Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique with extra padding >

Applique with extra padding

Applique with extra padding

Old 03-08-2020, 12:19 PM

Default Applique with extra padding

Although I have quilted for decades, I'm fairly new to applique. I'm doing a project (machine applique) and thought it would look more interesting if I put some batting, flannel, or other material under the applique piece to raise it from the background. Is this method common and if so, what kind of material do I use? Any other hints for this? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:30 PM

If I am doing a fast turn applique I would add the extra bat into the hole made to turn the applique piece before I press it in place to be sewn down. It won't take much and sometimes a poly bat is better for stuffing your pieces.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Research trapunto and you will find several ways to put extra batt behind appliqués to make then stand out. Since you are doing machine appliqué, it is simple to put an extra piece of batt behind the background behind the appliqué. You can outline stitch around the appliqué with matching thread and then trim the batt close to the stitching. After all your pieces are trapunto you then make your quilt as usual and quilt.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I like to use batting with my applique. I like the look it gives and also makes it more stable.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:42 AM

I find that quilting around an appliqued piece often makes it puff up. With leaves, I like to add a vein by quilting down the middle. This adds a little more texture, too. You could try to tack some batting under pieces you especially want puffy before you sandwich your quilt.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:36 AM

I agree with Tartan. I love Trapunto and the added dimension it adds Juliash has a good way as well. Can’t wait to see what you decide.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:49 AM

I will often stuff an applique if that is the look I want. You do want to keep stuff light, don't want to have to over-dry the entire quilt when you wash it.

In this top which I'm keeping for my own grandbaby for when he is a little older, I stuffed the fish first and then quilted down through the fish and the full batting. I don't have very good hand skills and worse vision, so I prefer to set my stitch down to tiny and sew together my focus fabric along with some sort of backing, in this case I used a very thin batiste type fabric but I also use interfacing. Carefully cut a slit on the back and turn the whole thing right side out. Position and stitch in place.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5533.jpg   100_5531.jpg  
Old 03-09-2020, 07:19 AM

The method I used was to sew down the applique with a satin or blanket stitch, then position the block/quilt over a piece of batting slightly bigger than the applique, on the back side, and pin in place. From the front, topstitch around the applique in the ditch. Carefully cut away the batting from the backside, leaving only the shape of the applique. When you layer the entire quilt
that section will have double batting and stand out from the rest of the quilt. I used this method for the silhouette of the soldier in this quilt. Veterans quilt to honor three generations
Old 03-09-2020, 06:56 PM

My girlfriend nd I did this type process back in the late 70's or early 80's. We would cut out a shape or part of a piece of fabric we liked, turn the edges under and then partially sew it onto a shirt or dress. Then we stuffed it with shredded cotton balls, finished sewing it on the machine and called it done. Lots of embroidery and applique done to spice things up back then.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:43 PM

Default Thanks to all of you.

Wow, some great ideas and ones to try. I have a wool hand applique that I might try with gently stuffing some very loose batting under a couple pieces to give more dimension. I'm doing a regular machine applique on another project which may be better to adapt the trapunto method. If I ever finish, I'll post. We, like many others in our scary world, are self isolating which means lots of time to try new methods and quilt. Stay healthy, everyone.